Looking for better fuel mileage
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Looking for better fuel mileage

Member #
    Liked
    19048 times

Looking for better fuel mileage

My recently acquired 1997 Chevrolet K1500 (5.7 liter/350 cubic inch V8, throttle body injection, Rotella 10W30 synthetic oil, stock air filter, 82000 miles) gets 13 miles per gallon mixed town & highway. When I towed a 4000 pound trailer on Interstate 25 on a 400 mile round trip I averaged 12 mpg. Any suggestions on how to improve the everyday, no-load mileage on this pickup? It's a great truck in great condition, just kinda thirsty.

Name:  Quarter view.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  3.08 MB
    Rossi and gbusmech like this.

Member #
    Liked
    33074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    My recently acquired 1997 Chevrolet K1500 (5.7 liter/350 cubic inch V8, throttle body injection, Rotella 10W30 synthetic oil, stock air filter, 82000 miles) gets 13 miles per gallon mixed town & highway. When I towed a 4000 pound trailer on Interstate 25 on a 400 mile round trip I averaged 12 mpg. Any suggestions on how to improve the everyday, no-load mileage on this pickup? It's a great truck in great condition, just kinda thirsty.

...don't tow a 4000# trailer.
    trooperc7 and pegasus like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    19048 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    ...don't tow a 4000# trailer.
    . . . 'bout as helpful as a screen door inna submarine . . .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3875 times
    My Chevy 1/2 ton short box pickup, 350 w/4 speed top loader and 353 rear gears got 10 miles to the gallon.... PERIOD.. over the years I put free flow exhaust, larger diameter tires (not wider) Free flow intake, and got her up to 11........ Good Luck
    TrucksNCoffee, trooperc7 and Wino like this.
    A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30866 times
    I just bought a new one, 5.3 liter Chevy with 6 speed automatic. It gets 20MPG. Of course, my old KLR650 gets 55 mpg if I really want mileage, but I'd have a hard time towing a 4K pound trailer. But, essentially, about the only thing you can do is live with it....or buy a new truck.
    kschilk and jwc007 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30866 times
    BTW, that's a nice lookin' truck.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    22049 times
    The two biggest drags on pickups are the tailgate and the mirrors. During the "gas crises" back in the day everybody was swapping out the tailgate for those "soft" gates that look like nets. What's the differential gearing?

My F350 dually gets 10.5 mpg....pulling a 16,000+ fifth wheel. I am happy with that.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    33074 times
    . . . 'bout as helpful as a screen door inna submarine . . .
    It's okay to have screen doors in submarines......it's only when ya' put 'em on the outside that ya' start runnin' into problems.
    jonrjen likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    33074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I just bought a new one, 5.3 liter Chevy with 6 speed automatic. It gets 20MPG. Of course, my old KLR650 gets 55 mpg if I really want mileage, but I'd have a hard time towing a 4K pound trailer. But, essentially, about the only thing you can do is live with it....or buy a new truck.
    There are three definite rules when it comes to internal combustion engines...

1. you can't make more power by burning less fuel

2. performance sacrifices reliability

3. screwin' with things only screws things up

These are the so far unbroken laws of the universe, despite decades of effort by the world's greatest minds and likely will remain so forever.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2715 times
    Mine was a '98. I had a new chip burned for it to optimize mileage. Towing sucked after that, and it couldn't get out of its own way, but I did get improved mileage. At best I got 3 more miles to the gallon. Mostly it averaged 1.8 MPG improvement. Back then it was $150. I don't know if anyone does it anymore. It only took one year for payback when prices were all over the place. The newer vehicles it doesn't work. Their computers are already optimized for mileage.

I was laughed at when I did it, but it worked. My 2009 GMC gets better mileage and more power with nothing other than with it's active fuel management. It$ is also rated for E85, but if E85 is not more than a $.85 less than standard, it isn't worth it as you lose 20% or more of your fuel efficiency.

I also found not all E85 was equal. The one Speedway I bought it from was more like E45, and it did better. The one BP that had it was much closer to E85, I wouldn't buy it after the first couple of tries.

Maloy

TrucksNCoffee and jwc007 like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links