Looking for better fuel mileage - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Looking for better fuel mileage

Member #
    Liked
    539 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisturner View Post
    Consider yourself fortunate. My son's 2001 Dodge with the 5.9 averages 7.5-8 mpg.

Of course, you probably don't drive like a 16 year old boy, either.
    I drive a 2012 GMC With 7 inch lift and 35 inch tires. I'm happy to get 10 or.12 mpg. Then there's the days I drive it like a 16yr old...I just dont look at.the mileage counter those days.
    dennisturner likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    662 times
    you only lose 1mpg towing and get 13? i am impressed. I suspect4 you have a pretty high(?) ratio rear end like a 3.75 or 4.11? I agree that ford and GM have a ton of highly skilled engineers who design their trucks and if there was a way to kick gas mileage up any significant amount without losing something else they would do it and shout their a MPG over every TV ad. I just bought the ford 3.5 ecoboost and i average 18 around town and on the interstate not towing. if i do 45-50, i am looking at 25mpg so 2-lane blacktop roads are real attractive. my previous truck was a f150 5.4 v-8 and it did 16. I put on the 3" flowmaster cat back and maybe got 0.5mpg, and then the cold air intake from K&N. that was waste of money. no mpg and all it did was remove the resonating chambers on the stock one giving a REAL powerful howling noise especially with any real throttle opening, like when towing. Deafening! took it off and almost gave it away. Chips? look great till you see you often now need to run high test . Loke THAT saves you money.
    best bet, new truck with enough motor for your tow(the extra power doesn't hurt mpg by much when not towing), a sane rear end ratio(i found 3.55 a good compromise for me) and as many transmission gears as you can get(like the ford 10 speed). i do about 2000rpm at 80 and the ecoboost still goes over overpasses with out a downshift.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19587 times
    Consider yourself fortunate. My son's 2001 Dodge with the 5.9 averages 7.5-8 mpg.

Not for 51 years, anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33563 times

My '87 Mack with a 672 Econodyne gets better than that, fully loaded...8-10 mpg. Bobtailin', it's around 12-14. Still, the old 5.9s are the best diesel ever put in a pickup.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    My recently acquired 1997 Chevrolet K1500 (5.7 liter/350 cubic inch V8, throttle body injection, Rotella 10W30 synthetic oil, stock air filter, 82000 miles) gets 13 miles per gallon mixed town & highway. When I towed a 4000 pound trailer on Interstate 25 on a 400 mile round trip I averaged 12 mpg. Any suggestions on how to improve the everyday, no-load mileage on this pickup? It's a great truck in great condition, just kinda thirsty.

Attachment 440971

Next time you drive on the highway for any distance leave your tailgate at home. I picked up about 2mpg with my old 2004 F-150 5.4 Ford doing this. If it helps you then go for a bed cover.
    jwc007 likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    5856 times
    Ain't much of anything gonna change the mileage on that truck, that engine was made when premium gas was just barely over $1/gal., so high fuel economy was not on the priority list from a Chevy standpoint. This was still an era for low end power and reliability under load being the determining factor for buyers during that time.

Best I can recommend is checking the condition of the spark plugs, keep your fluids and tires topped off, and take it easy on the pedal from a dead stop. Outside of buying a truck made in the last 5-9 years at the oldest, you won't find anything that will noticeably boost your fuel economy.

Personally I just bought a 2019 Chevy Trax, it's their small crossover SUV. Even with AWD I'm averaging about 23-25 mpg in the city, and 36-37 mpg highway with a 1.4L turbo and 6 speed transmission. It's good for me as mainly a people mover and occasional large stuff carrier, I wouldn't dare think of towing anything with it. So I'll freely admit that I've sacrificed performance for gas mileage in my case, but I pretty much knew that going in.

It's a bitter pill to swallow sometimes, because you love them for some reasons but aren't a fan of others. I can definitely say that's a beautiful truck, and up here in the Pittsburgh area you still see them on the road every day, it amazes me how many of them aren't rusted through given the amounts of road salt and rain we get in this region.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsored Links