Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Looking for better fuel mileage

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    With some of my customers, I've found that releasing the parking brake will raise the mpg considerably.
    I bet it extended their brake life just a tad, too, huh?
    kschilk likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    I could say that it has to do with the "Bowtie" emblem on the grill, seeing as how I am a Ford guy. But, truth be told, that's one fine looking truck.

And sometimes it's not all about how inexpensive you live your life, but more about the class of life that you live. That my friend is one classy truck!!
    Thank you, jon. I'm fully cognizant of this "classy truck." In spite of the mileage I actually look for excuses to take it out and drive it, something I never did with the Suzuki Sidekick that preceded it.
    jonrjen likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Nice truck. You might try one of the new electric pickups when they come out
    Electric pickups?!?!?!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    A Pruis and motel 6?
    You go straight to your room and stay there! No supper for you, buster!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19549 times
    Some of you have suggested a free flowing exhaust. One of the details I really enjoy about this truck is how quiet it is, but at the same time I'm sure that the quiet is offered at the expense of a restrictive exhaust. It's definitely on my list of options to increase fuel mileage and, maybe, performance, just a bit.

Others have mentioned a canopy, which is definitely on my mind. I'm keeping a watch out for a used one, but it's got to be in a matching color. If I throw one of those "they're everywhere, they're everywhere" white canopies on board, the "classy truck" status will be completely erased.
    GhostHorse and jonrjen like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7278 times
    I've gone with the aftermarket free flow exhaust and air intake on other trucks and found that I really could not tell any notable improvement for the good. I have built a couple of engines with mid range torque in mind and increased power and torque which then increased mileage when towing. When my 5.7 decides to give up I have a 383 Stroker waiting for me to finish. My Suburban is a 7000 lb vehicle and it takes torque and HP to move it. By the way "nice looking truck"!
    TrucksNCoffee and bobbojama like this.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    21888 times
    I dont think you'll get much benefit with individual fixes, but maybe cumulative results of changes might gain you an extra couple or few MPG. Just because the science is there, it doesn't mean the technology can be bought off the shelf. "Typically" with better economy, you lose performance. Sadly, it may nickel and dime you to death while you're trying to save nickels and dimes.
    TrucksNCoffee and jwc007 like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    31774 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Gears and gearing - There is a formula for figuring out the proper rear gear based on tire diameter, speed, and RPM. What you want to do is to try to keep the engine in its 'most economical area', which with a 350's 3.48 inch stroke would be around 2070 RPM (7200/3.4. An internal combustion engine seems to run best with a piston velocity of 1200 FPS, or 14,400 inches per second. Divide by 2 for a four stroke engine, and you get the 7200.
    I've always heard (and it makes a lot of sense) that the engine is at it's most efficient wherever the torque peak is in the dyno curve. If it were a little earlier in the evening I'd go do the calculations for a couple of significantly different engines.

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    A Pruis and motel 6?
    Heck, no. A stick shift Mini is cheaper to buy, FAR more fun to drive, and gets you in the high 30s for MPG. Now go take four tablespoons of gear oil and go to your room.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    A new injector fuel rail with a custom flashed computer program.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    A new injector fuel rail with a custom flashed computer program.
    If memory serves, throttle body injection does not have fuel rails.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links