Gilligan, calling Gomer..........
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Gilligan, calling Gomer..........

Member #
    Liked
    32645 times

Gilligan, calling Gomer..........

Bein' Navy, I'm not really up on the USMC uniforms and I'm curious about a certain combination I occasionally see in movies and on tv shows. I suppose mostly, I've seen it on Gomer Pyle and other shows/movies of that era. I could be wrong and likely am but I believe the particular uniform in question is referred to as the Service C uniform(?). Anyway, most commonly, it consists of khaki pants, shirt and usually tie but occasionally, I see the khaki pants paired with a light green, almost bluish green shirt...not the darker fatigues type green and wonder what, if any significance this might have? Naturally, I first assumed it was a mistake in the wardrobe dept but considering shows like GP have military consultants to keep the uniforms and such accurate, I thought the shirt color may be specific to a rating or billet. The only other possibility I'd considered was that maybe, like the Navy, the Corps also has the "flame retardant" (i.e. made of napalm) uniforms that are often a different shade or color than the standard. Can any of you USMC guys enlighten me on this?
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    I'm sorry, you said you were in the Navy and your asking for enlightenment? I don't how that's going to happen or even possible.
    Oorah carry on.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    kschilk and slong115 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    32645 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    I'm sorry, you said you were in the Navy and your asking for enlightenment? I don't how that's going to happen or even possible.
    Oorah carry on.
    Yeah......I s'pose it is hard to believe there's even one thing in this world a Navy guy wouldn't know......but then again......I wasn't career.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    LOL sorry big guy, i couldn't help myself. I just got off the phone with my USMC Ret. Major brother in law. He said the khaki was to stay inline with the Navy. The mix of khaki and green was summer/winter dress. By the short sleeve khaki shirt, green pants/ long sleeve with khaki pants. Then you had Alfa and Bravo, the blue with red stripe was a non com thing and dress blues as well as dress whites to be online with the Navy again.
    But the USMC is not under the Navy anymore and not having to dress inline anymore.
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32645 times
    LOL sorry big guy, i couldn't help myself. I just got off the phone with my USMC Ret. Major brother in law. He said the khaki was to stay inline with the Navy. The mix of khaki and green was summer/winter dress. By the short sleeve khaki shirt, green pants/ long sleeve with khaki pants. Then you had Alfa and Bravo, the blue with red stripe was a non com thing and dress blues as well as dress whites to be online with the Navy again.
    But the USMC is not under the Navy anymore and not having to dress inline anymore.
    You know the old saying..."if there's anything you want to know, ask a truck driver or a sailor". Neither knows everything (or much of anything, actually......or they sure as heck wouldn't be doin' what they're doin') but they like to think they do. ...I've been both......never really added that up before. Anyway, I tried lookin' it up and yeah......they've got a ____load of different combinations and I never did find the one in question, particularly that specific color shirt...almost a teal-like shade. Personally, I thought it just looked wrong and especially, as I recall, with a khaki tie. It all just didn't look as uniform as the Corps tends to be with their stuff.

I liked the Navy way, one dress and one "working" uniform each for summer and winter. ...always got a chuckle out of the "working whites/blues" term. Other than that, it was dungarees or coveralls except for a few that were authorized to wear cammies. I don't think I'll ever understand the desire to wear camo on a ship or air station. It's either gray steel at sea or concrete and steel on land so all that green just makes you an easy target......all they gotta' do is aim for the trees and anybody that's ever been hunting or riding dirt bikes......knows how easy it is to hit a tree.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    6328 times
    (snip)But the USMC is not under the Navy anymore and not having to dress inline anymore.
    Ha

ha-ha

bwaaaah haa haaaaa

ho ho - he heee heeeeee

huh huh

haa haaa haaaaaa

Oh stop – you’re killin’ me

Lemme guess — you heard that from a marine
    Last edited by 230JHP; 06-08-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    kschilk likes this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2578 times
    https://www.history.com/news/7-thing...s-marine-corps

5. The Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy. While the Marine Corps is its own branch of the U.S. military, it falls under the administration of the Department of the Navy.Nov 10, 2015
    kschilk and 230JHP like this.

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post

5. The Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy. While the Marine Corps is its own branch of the U.S. military, it falls under the administration of the Department of the Navy.Nov 10, 2015
    WOW, they got their own secretary and own branch. Cool
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post

Yes. The Marine Corps is "Department of the Navy"....... the "Men's Department" 🙃
    slong115 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4622 times
    Coast Guard is all blue. No tans, grays. I only wore the dress whites when I met with Reagan that one time.
    kschilk likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links