Lowering a 2019 F150 4x4 question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Lowering a 2019 F150 4x4 question

Member #
    Liked
    19069 times

Lowering a 2019 F150 4x4 question

My Focus ST got traded in on a new 2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Cab. However, the F150 trucks in 4x4 have a tremendous front to rear rake (the front of the truck sits approx. 2.50" lower than the rear), which I don't care for at all.

So I was thinking of doing a 2" cheap lift in the front that is actually nothing more than a 2" spacer that sits on top of the strut spring tower. Total to have installed with an alignment would be $400.

Or going with a Rancho Quick Lift set up that includes new adjustable struts. These are complete assembled units that you remove the old and stick in the new. Price is $344 plus $165 installation and alignment. Problem here is that the lift provides 2.75" of lift which could in turn give me .25" rake with the front now being higher than the rear of the truck until the front springs age and settle down. Another issue is that with the stronger springs that ride is reported to be more stiff.

Third choice was to do a Ford Performance rear lowering shackle, cost $104 and a PITB DIY installation.

Then someone offered a 4th Option which would be free and easy. Simply remove the block between the rear springs and axle plate.

Do any of your mechanically minded members see anything wrong with going with option #4? The block is 1.5" tall, but from what I have been told results in a 2" drop due to the placement of the block being at the axle. Would I be risking that the rear shocks will now be too long at full compression? Or am I over thinking the whole matter?

Come on lay it on me, which would you choose to do?

FWIW: I have no plans to go with larger tires and wheels anytime in the future. This is going to be my daily driver and Toad/Towed behind our motorhome.
    In an effort to remain Politically, Socially and Humanly Correct: Please take everything I say with a grain of salt, understanding that I mean to NOT offend any individual, group, sect, affiliation, real or fictitious in nature.

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    I know you can get a 2.75 lift with just coil over shocks. I have no idea what comes stock on your truck. But the Ford truck forums know this for sure.
    jonrjen likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1833 times
    You can always buy a couple rims that are 2" larger in diameter and use the same size sidewall!

I know it wasn't a stupid question, but that doesn't preclude a stupid answer!
    jonrjen likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18716 times
    I don't have an answer to your dilemma (the front is 2 and a half inches lower than the rear? - this was something we all wanted back in the day) but I found a great Ford truck forum a few months ago when I was shopping for a pickup truck. This site has all kinds of information, and they're more than happy to help you out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/
    Ickthus, jonrjen and dogchild like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4622 times
    silverstring, jonrjen and kraynky like this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    7288 times
    The problem I see with removing that block under the springs is mainly in the possible need for new U-bolts for the springs, unless the current ones have enough threads to tighten back up to the recommended torque. I would not worry too much about the shocks, I have done 2 inch shackle lowering on 2WD trucks and it really does nothing to ride quality to keep the same rear shocks. Again, really inspect those U-bolts to see if they have the threading necessary to tighten down without botoming out due to lack of threads.
    jonrjen likes this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Member #
    Liked
    19069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I don't have an answer to your dilemma (the front is 2 and a half inches lower than the rear? - this was something we all wanted back in the day) but I found a great Ford truck forum a few months ago when I was shopping for a pickup truck. This site has all kinds of information, and they're more than happy to help you out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/
    I have been a member of this Ford Truck forum since 2005, matter of fact it is there that I came across the remove the rear block recommendation. But then I got to over thinking anything being so easy, and knowing the wisdom of the members here I thought I would ask.
    Thank you for the site recommendation, I hope other members will stop and check it out. Great information to be had, but not the family of members here quality.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    In an effort to remain Politically, Socially and Humanly Correct: Please take everything I say with a grain of salt, understanding that I mean to NOT offend any individual, group, sect, affiliation, real or fictitious in nature.

Member #
    Liked
    19069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    For those times when the world just feels a little off and upside down. It amazes me what some people will do.
    chefduane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    The problem I see with removing that block under the springs is mainly in the possible need for new U-bolts for the springs, unless the current ones have enough threads to tighten back up to the recommended torque. I would not worry too much about the shocks, I have done 2 inch shackle lowering on 2WD trucks and it really does nothing to ride quality to keep the same rear shocks. Again, really inspect those U-bolts to see if they have the threading necessary to tighten down without botoming out due to lack of threads.
    From the few post that I have read, the longer U-bolts do have enough thread to be reused. Of course my truck may be the exception to the rule as I often am.

Member #
    Liked
    32645 times
    First off, never a good idea to reuse the U-bolts. If they were ever as tight as they should be, they're stretched and should be tossed. In most cases, you can't get them at a reasonable cost from a dealer or AP store but there are other sources. I get all my springs and relevant parts (including shackles and hangers) from a heavy truck supply outfit, even though most are for 1/2 to 1-ton pickups and for a fraction of what others charge. I phone in the style (round or flat top) and dimensions of the U-bolts, then they bend and thread 'em from raw rod stock. With all the nuts and washers, I can get a full set (4) for under $30, often under $20. As far as removing the blocks, I can't see where it'd hurt but I'd have the alignment checked after. There should be more than enough travel in the original shocks.
    jonrjen and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links