Battery Lawn Mower
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Battery Lawn Mower

Member #
    Liked
    555 times

Battery Lawn Mower

I've been fighting with my lawn mower recently. Difficult to start, dies intermittently, etc. It's only about four years old. I cleaned the carb, changed the spark plug, played with the auto choke which seems to be functioning correctly. No joy,

So I finally got tired of fighting it, and I started researching rechargeable battery powered lawn mowers. What I found is that most reviewers recommended either the Ego 56v or the Greenworks 80v. A friend recommended the Ryobi 40v which is on sale at Home Depot for $279. Pretty inexpensive. I wound up purchasing the Ego 56v self propelled at Home Depot for $499. It has great reviews and comes with a massive 7.5 amp hour lithium battery. There's a five year warranty on the mower and three years on the battery and charger. Most of the other brands take two to three hours to charge the battery. The Ego charges the large battery fully in about 45 minutes. I charged it after purchasing the unit on Tuesday night. I can verify the quick charge time.

This afternoon after work I mowed with it for the first time. The mower is amazing. I have a smallish yard. The lot is 7200 square feet less the house footprint and driveway, etc., so probably around 3800 square feet of grass. I used the mulching plug so as not to bag clippings. The cut was very nice and smooth. Very few noticeable clippings on the grass afterward. I mowed front and back yards along with the alley. Total battery usage was only about 25%. I recharged the battery afterward in about 15 minutes. I was skeptical at first, but I'm really impressed with this unit. It powered through thick grass as well as or better than the gas mower, and the cut is smoother - probably because I hadn't sharpened the blade on the gas mower yet this season. It's probably not for large yards, but for small to medium size suburban lots like mine it will definitely do the job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-i...02SP/206515944

They also sell a non self propelled version with a 5 amp hour battery that will supposedly run just about the same amount of time as the larger batter on the self propelled unit. It's $100 less. A "commercial" unit with steel deck that also isn't self propelled comes with the 7.5ah battery for $749. The plastic deck on mine seems strong. Of course only time will tell how it holds up to use.

No more pulling the cord a dozen times to get it to start. No more trips to the gas station for a gallon at a time. No more oil changes. No more air filter replacements. No more spark plugs to replace. I'm enjoying it already.

Of course most of my neighbors pay some one else to cut their grass, but that's cheating.

Anyone else using a rechargeable mower?

Member #
    Liked
    5076 times
    Never used a rechargeable but did for a time have a Black and Decker electric mower. Had a cord you had to manage. It worked well but the thing I REALLY disliked about it was that the motor sounded like the Mother Queen of all Winged Stingers and attracted copious amounts of wasps, yellow jackets, bees, mud daubers, and anything else you could imagine. Within minutes of turning it on it had numerous unwanted winged insects buzzing around it! Had to get rid of it in a few months, it was that bad. Now for a few years have had a Craftsman decked mulching mower with a Honda GCV 160 engine. Easy start, mows great, and no wasps to contend with!
    dennisturner likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19303 times
    I don't need a mower these days (the desert southwest is not conducive to a healthy, green-grass yard unless you're willing to spend as much on water as you do your monthly mortgage payments), but if I did I'd get a battery powered mower. I believe, however, that - unlike the OP - I might prefer one that takes 2 to 3 hours to recharge.

Wife: "What are you doing in the house? Are you done already?"
    Me: "I got partway done an' the battery needs to be recharged, gonna take a couple of hours, at least. I'll just watch the ball game while I'm waiting."
    twolfe55 and dennisturner like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32966 times
    No experience myself, but I have a couple of friends that use battery powered yard equipment. One has a mower, the other a hedge trimmer. Both swear by them.
    dennisturner and 45 Forever like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    6346 times
    I have a battery operated edger and it woks pretty good. I purchased a second battery so I did not have to stop,
    dennisturner likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    When they come out with a battery powered riding mower I'm in!!

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    I have a commercial lawnmower. They show up every Friday mow, weed eat, edge and sweep up, oh and they skim the pool if grass gets in during the process and all for $40 per week, yes I am lazy but it looks so much better when they do it. Plus it gives me another day open for range time.

Member #
    Liked
    8536 times
    hope it works well for you. I had a neighbor who bought a electric (corded) chain saw he told me that everything he cut was at home and he would never need a gas saw again about a year later I was laughing as I helped him cut the trees out of his driveway with my Stihl saw after the hurricane it was 10 days before we got power back his saw did not cut very good during that time
    dennisturner likes this.
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

Member #
    Liked
    555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MTCSSUSN View Post
    When they come out with a battery powered riding mower I'm in!!
    Here ya go . . .

https://www.ryobitools.com/electric-riding-mower/

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8289 times
    My SIL owns his own yard care business. I got him 6 houses surrounding my house. So I get mine done for free.

The guy down the road uses a battery mower, weed eater and blower. Does a great job.

I would consider one if things changed!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    dennisturner likes this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links