OOPS, Did it Again - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: OOPS, Did it Again

Member #
    Liked
    30578 times
    I put Facebook in jail. It's been at least a year now, I think. The parole hearings haven't been scheduled, and I wouldn't recommend holding your breath.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    7180 times
    Out of the whole list of things that ran through my mind when I read the title, getting put in Facebook jail was the least of them.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16025 times
    Private company? Yes, but they may not have the option to ban anyone for anything in the near future. It will come down to giving Facebook the option of being classified as a "publisher" or a "platform". If they go the publisher route, yes they can ban you, but they can also be sued as any publisher now can be sued. Flash mob organised on FB, any damage they do FB can be held liable. If they go the platform route they can't be sued, but they won't be able to "deplatform" anyone because they will be considered "the public square" even though they are privately owned. There is a Federal court case and a bill in California, of all places, that will determine the outcome. The Supreme Court has already determined that FB is the new public square and the government, in this case state government, can't ban someone from using FB since it would violate elements of the 1st Amendment. Since FB is headquartered in CA, they'll also have to abide by any new law there. Similar laws are also being debated in other states.
    GreenWolf70, chefduane and jtg452 like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    Calm down Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you were being your alter ego over there? I mean here I am willing to go to battle for you and you want to reign me in? But... I was ON A ROLL.
    Texheim likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    1837 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Doc View Post
    I dont Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or any of the other ones. This site is the only one I post on, and that is pretty rare.
    Other than ordering stuff from Amazon , checking the weather, and seeing what you fine folks have to say...it would not break my heart if all this internet crap crashed and we all had to go back to living in a world of face to face interaction.
    Just my .02
    That ".02" wouldn't be in Bitcoin, PayPal, or some other Internet currency, would it Doc?

Member #
    Liked
    4922 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Doc View Post
    I dont Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or any of the other ones. This site is the only one I post on, and that is pretty rare.
    Other than ordering stuff from Amazon , checking the weather, and seeing what you fine folks have to say...it would not break my heart if all this internet crap crashed and we all had to go back to living in a world of face to face interaction.
    Just my .02
    I think you should reconsider your face to face statement. Have you seen those faces out there? Most of them would shatter a mirror if they were to look at themselves in it.

Member #
    Liked
    4624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    Private company? Yes, but they may not have the option to ban anyone for anything in the near future. It will come down to giving Facebook the option of being classified as a "publisher" or a "platform". If they go the publisher route, yes they can ban you, but they can also be sued as any publisher now can be sued. Flash mob organised on FB, any damage they do FB can be held liable. If they go the platform route they can't be sued, but they won't be able to "deplatform" anyone because they will be considered "the public square" even though they are privately owned. There is a Federal court case and a bill in California, of all places, that will determine the outcome. The Supreme Court has already determined that FB is the new public square and the government, in this case state government, can't ban someone from using FB since it would violate elements of the 1st Amendment. Since FB is headquartered in CA, they'll also have to abide by any new law there. Similar laws are also being debated in other states.
    <posted in another thread but valid here>

That's the essence of the debate. Is Facebook a pubic platform or a private messaging system? Those who argue it is a platform also argue that it should be subject to 1st Amendment provisions. Those who argue it is a private messaging system also argue that FB should be able to censor anything that violates their ever expanding and progressive (restrictive) speech codes. Interestingly, in his SoftheC addresses Zuckerberg calls it a 'platform.' If that is the case then why do they aggressively censor free speech, especially anything that can be construed as 'conservative'? And Zuckerberg wants it both ways - he wants to market his system as an open platform available for the good of public discourse but wants to censor it to only what HE deems appropriate for public discourse. If FB is accepted as a private messaging system then their ability to market it is successfully as an 'open platform for discussion' significantly restricted. Very Goebbels-like who said that he was not promulgating anything that everyone did not already know therefore he's not really a propagandist, only a mouthpiece to disseminate knowledge for the common good. (Yeah? it wasn't really commonly good for the Jews, now was it?)

Facebook is like a paper salesman who will sell you all the paper you want as long as you write on it only the words the salesman has approved.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    3753 times
    I should add that the rules here are actually more strict than that of FB. I posted a picture here that got me banned, I posted the same picture on FB without a problem. Makes me wonder what the hell some of you folks are posting on FB?
    Texheim likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    41576 times
    I posted on the local news paper's FB page on an article about the LBGTQLMNOP community at Baylor U wanted to be recognized by the university. I posted a satirical video that someone took offense to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Ape View Post
    I should add that the rules here are actually more strict than that of FB. I posted a picture here that got me banned, I posted the same picture on FB without a problem. Makes me wonder what the hell some of you folks are posting on FB?

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    29224 times
    You also can't post...

"If Lesbians hate men so much, why do they want to look like them?"
    Texheim, GreenWolf70 and jeeper1 like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links