Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Shot another Cottonmoutth

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30186 times
    We used a snake stick to catch and kill rattlers when I worked one summer in the cotton fields around Pearsall, Texas. I was working for the gooberment counting cotton insects and pests and beneficials for a research project. We would catch 'em by the head with the stick and twirl 'em to break their necks.

Man, I am responsible for killing a LOT of poisonous snakes over the years. If they really WERE illegal to kill, I could be locked up for the rest of my life. That's okay, I'd get free healthcare which what with my chemo drugs, could break the prison system.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    Just a hint on eating any poisonous snake, don't shoot them in the head, it only releases the poison into the digestive tract. Best to cleanly sever the head. I prefer a bush hook, but a machete, or even a knife if you have the head pinned.

While a lot of people say they taste like chicken, I think they taste like eel. But as long as they are fried, I don't care.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    6110 times
    I wonder if sometime, somewhere a native got his first taste of chiacken and said, “Hmm, tastes just like snake!”
    kschilk, WoodyUSSLUCE and jwc007 like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    19054 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    If you keep it up, you could make a pair of boots.
    Also, one Snake might make a nice Belt.

Back when I lived in Northern Arizona, my solution to the Rattle Snake problem was a 12 gauge SxS loaded with #6 Shot.
    Not as portable or convenient as your handgun solution, but it worked well for me, as I did not have many firearms back then.

jtg452 and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30186 times
    I've used my SxS Sarasqueta 12 to take out a few cottonmouths in early teal season. I was actually teal hunting, but heck, teal, snake, that old SxS didn't seem to care.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and jwc007 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    7221 times
    We don't really have a population of cottonmouth or rattlesnake where I have lived in the Piedmont Region of NC but there have been exceptions. I have seen a cottonmouth under the river bridge in Milton NC and a timber rattler in Mt Hill Va. but this was years ago and I haven't seen any since. If I drive 30 west I can be in prime rattlesnake country and 100 miles S East the cottonmouths are abundant. I've killed a lot of cottonmouths while fishing, camping and 4 wheeling near the coast. I've killed a few rattlesnakes doing the same thing around the mountains in VA and NC but I don't kill them unless they are a threat to me, my family. pets or someone else that may be camping near us. I carried a 4 ft snake hook for years so I could safely move or relocate them. The Wildlife Dept's of NC and Va have put out warnings this year about an abundance of copperheads this year so I let all non venomous species alone.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    32280 times
    The black snappers I mentioned previously, have extended their range a good 5 miles in radius over the last 20 years. Pitt University bought something like 10 or 12 acres of land containing a sizable portion of the swamp, to not only study but cultivate them. One thing I'm afraid these experts forgot to consider, was the effect the increased number of snappers would have on the local timber rattler and copperhead populations. The snappers are like a cross between the two other species and shares a taste for the same cuisine, they also hang out in all the same places......somebody's gotta' move out.

As the crow flies, the swamp is about five miles from my garage. The house I grew up in is about a half mile up the road and that much closer to the swamp. All while growing up and until I left there in '77, there were absolutely no poisonous snakes within at least a three mile radius of my home. At least, none had ever been seen or left any evidence up until then. About ten years after Pitt bought that swampland, timber rattlers were showing up in my old neighborhood with regularity. An 8+ footer was killed crossing the road by my garage a few years ago. Copperheads began appearing soon after and now the snappers, though still rare, are moving in. It seems obvious the other snakes are becoming so outnumbered, they're being pushed out.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    408 times
    http:// statebystategardening.com/state. php/newsletters/stories/is _it_illegal_to_kill_a_ snake/
    Although many people may not be aware of this, the fact is that in many states it IS illegal to kill a snake. So you may want to think twice before you grab that shovel!
    While no court will find you guilty of protecting yourself or others from danger, you may find yourself in court proving it when a PETA puffing tree hugger cries about the poor animal that was just being itself and you should have just left it be. I can think of a few cases with grizzle bears that had to be over turned after jail time and a lot of legal fees. I'm just going to go with fight club rules here on the interwebb . Like CCW, gun sales, gun transfers to jay walking, know your local laws and rules. The first rule of fight club can keep your legal fees manageable.
    Last edited by Ickthus; 05-14-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    jtg452, WoodyUSSLUCE and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    24476 times
    Had a cottonmouth charge at me when I was about 12. I was driving the golf cart across the pond damn at my grandpa's pay ponds in Augusta GA when a paying fisherman flagged me down to complain about a snake that would not let him fish.

I went over to see what he was talking about and there was a huge cottonmouth. It was not huge as in long, but it was wide and fat.

It did not like me disturbing it and gave chase. Well, it didn't really chase me but it was trying to leave and I as well as the golf cart was in its way.

I had my Daisy 880 pump BB/Pellet gun on the golf cart and proceeded to launch a .177 flat nosed pellet in to the cottonmouths head. I hit it's head dead center and the snake immediately went in to a death roll.

It was likely mortally wounded but I shot it 3 more times before using a stick to push it in to a 5 gallon bucket for proper disposal (tossed it out in the woods).

Cottonmouths can be pretty unfriendly when confronted!

Watch your step.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and jwc007 like this.

MOLON LABE
    "We the people, are the rightful masters of both the Congress, and the Courts. Not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who have perverted it." ~Abraham Lincoln

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    LOL, I grew up running through swamps in south Alabama, a Cottonmouth is considered passive IMO to a Copperhead. Worked on a deep woods survey team during my college years, had run ins with lots of snakes. I learned to sharpen the top edge of my bush hook just for poisonous snakes. The non-poisonous snakes went into a burlap sack I carried after I found out local pet shops would give me up to $25 a piece for them.

As a kid we would play with Puff Adders, or Hog Nosed Snakes. They don't get very big, but their behavior is hilarious. They will not bite, but they will butt their head against you to scare you off. When you don't leave they play dead. They make the best snake for a practical joke because they will throw there "hood" out when threatened, it looks like a cobra in that instance and I have seen it make some people pee their pants. They are also content to lay in the bottom of your jacket pocket so you can carry them around without arousing a lot of suspicion.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 05-15-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    RScottie likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links