Shot another Cottonmoutth - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Shot another Cottonmoutth

Member #
    Liked
    7515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    I'm sure most of you are aware of the old wives' tale that a beheaded snake's head will remain alive and able to strike until after sundown. That is not an old wives' tale, at least not with both black and yellow faced timber rattlers and the pygmy rattlers here. Never leave an assumed dead viper where a pet or child might encounter it. Dogs also may want to dig 'em up, if they're curious and see where you bury them. I'm with NT......vaporize 'em an' be done with it. ...not at all fond of snakes here.
    Saw a decapitated rattler body strike when the head was already buried a couple of feet away once.
    kschilk, WoodyUSSLUCE and 230JHP like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7600 times
    weeeelll, the body sans head isn't very dangerous, but the jaws can snap shut and fang you a good one and that's where they keep their go-go juice. I really don't have an issue with snakes in general, but I know my long-toothed varieties and have a better than healthy respect for them and know how to avoid them.

Moccasins on the other hand are aggressive territorial and mean tempered buggers who need to keep the heck away from me. Their venom is a cytotoxin which destroys tissue, meaning that if you do get the antivenom after being bitten, you are going to have a chunk of meat gone regardless! Simply disgusting!
    jtg452, WoodyUSSLUCE and 230JHP like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    6346 times
    Good riddance, for sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1425 times
    Youse guyz - talking about moccasins and such make me glad that I'm in PA where we only have these big, goofy green timber rattlers and occasionally a copperhead or two. I've been stationed in Georgia and Texas and have seen (but never got very closely acquainted with) cottonmouth moccasins - - and I guess I'll gratefully keep it that way.

Flash
    WoodyUSSLUCE, 230JHP and Yissnakk like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2826 times
    We're not supposed to have water moccasins in Ohio, but once in a great while we encounter them where they're not supposed to be.

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    Youse guyz - talking about moccasins and such make me glad that I'm in PA where we only have these big, goofy green timber rattlers and occasionally a copperhead or two. I've been stationed in Georgia and Texas and have seen (but never got very closely acquainted with) cottonmouth moccasins - - and I guess I'll gratefully keep it that way.

Flash

Member #
    Liked
    734 times
    You need to becareful about posting thing's. Most all things are protected these days. You kill it and post they can come calling. SSS . I don't kill poisonous snakes now, I relocate them. I relocate them in different places, the same snake. In the wild i leave them alone. Around the house, pets, kids... I relocate the head and tail.

Member #
    Liked
    6898 times
    Over the past 10 years we've lived in our house, I've killed 2 rattlesnakes (Eastern Diamondback), 4 coral snakes (yes, Virginia -- they were DEFINITELY red on yellow -- red on black I put 'em back) -- one of them in the garage, and I've just about quit counting the moccasins (up to 12 now, and I know the difference between a moccasin and a water snake). One snake I killed with a .410, one was with a pellet rifle, 2 with a machete, 1 with a lawn mower (it was kind of like a meat version of a wood chipper), one coral snake I killed with a pair of shears (I was standing on its head at the time), and the rest of the snakes I killed with a walking staff. ETA: And one moccasin I killed with an ax.

One moccasin I killed off the front porch, one was next to the garage door, one was after it bit my Yorkie.

I had done some snake avoidance training with the dogs, but I guess Louie (the Yorkie) is just a little slow on the uptake. He went after the snake in the front lane, and I saw him fling the snake then come wandering back with a, "What just happened?" look. I got Louie into the house and went out to find the snake coiled in water at the bottom of a culvert. I flushed it out and killed it -- about 32" long -- and put it in a plastic coffee can with the lid duct-taped shut (doesn't everyone say, 'Take the snake,' if you're taking a snake bite victim to the doc?).

I couldn't find a puncture on Louie, but he was definitely acting a bit unsettled, so I headed for the vet. I will say kudos to the vet -- when I walked in the door they were all cheerful, "Hi! What's going on with your puppy today?" But as soon as I said 'snake bite' it got all business. In about five seconds he was heading to the back for blood work, then they brought him back to me while we waited for results; while I was waiting I kept looking over him and finally found a single fang mark halfway between his jaw and his shoulder.

Louie got to stay the night, but only needed a single vial of antivenin since I got him to the vet fairly quickly. When I picked him up the next morning, his neck had swelled up like a big purple balloon and stayed that way for about a week or so, and he had a bit of what I've come to call PVSS - Post Viper Stress Syndrome.

And the snake in the coffee can? No one wanted to see it, so the head wound up buried in the burn pit, and the body flung out into the woods for the critters.
    Last edited by 230JHP; 05-14-2019 at 03:26 AM.
    Yissnakk and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    33298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    You need to becareful about posting thing's. Most all things are protected these days. You kill it and post they can come calling. SSS . I don't kill poisonous snakes now, I relocate them. I relocate them in different places, the same snake. In the wild i leave them alone. Around the house, pets, kids... I relocate the head and tail.
    The protected thing doesn't always fly. There's an area near here that contains a patch of swamp land about 2 1/2 miles long and 100 yards wide, that is home to a species of pygmy rattler we call the "black snapper". Supposedly, this li'l swamp is the only place in the world you can find this particular species so they are "protected". I'd bought a house in this area years ago, a fixer-upper that had been standing empty for several months. The yard and field behind were overgrown and the snakes had moved in so I encountered several on a daily basis. I'd mostly just chased them out but one day that all changed. The grounds were a mess so I'd had the crawler there and was grading, most everything was down to bare dirt. I took a break and went into the house to get a drink. I stood at the kitchen window, drinking a glass of water and looked over at my dog, who was sleeping in the shade of a big oak tree about 20 yards away.

He was lying on his side, facing away from me and I noticed a rather large stick was laying parallel to him, maybe a foot behind his back. I assumed a branch had fallen from the oak, as I was sure it hadn't been there earlier but couldn't imagine it not scaring the dog. As I looked closer, it began to look less like a stick so I grabbed a machete I kept by the door and stealthily worked my way toward the dog. I was lucky and got close enough to behead the snapper before it or the dog sensed me. I disposed of the snake, then went in the house and phoned the Game Commission. A lady answered the phone and I said "I understand the black snapper is a protected species in PA." The woman affirmed that indeed they were so I replied with "Then you need to send everyone you have out here to gather up all these snakes you wanna' save 'coz any you miss are gonna' die." In a somewhat excited voiced, she urged me to "don't do anything yet" and said they have someone there shortly.

In about a half hour, a GC officer pulled in and introduced himself. After giving him a quick rundown of the situation, I made it clear that I had kids and I had dogs......no way in ____ was I gonna' have snakes. He made it clear that although they are a protected species, I was well within my rights to destroy any I found on my property if I saw them as a threat in any way. I even told him that I wasn't just going to kill the ones I happened to see, I knew where some nests were and that I was going to dig them up to make sure I get them all. He looked a bit surprised at first, 'til I pointed over to the crawler and backhoe but came back with "that's fine, we just don't want you traipsing across the countryside, trying to exterminate them". He then took the time to inform me of all the poisonous species of snakes in the immediate area and how to identify them. As it turns out, several of what I'd thought were black snappers, were actually small black-faced timber rattlers. So, should you ever encounter a so-called protected and poisonous snake species......before he gets too cocky......remind him that he just might not be as protected as he thinks he is.
    230JHP and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    You can pick those nasty things up if ya want. Not me! I'll pick 'em up to toss 'em somewhere away from the dog, do it with a couple of sticks so I don't have to touch the nasty thing. I'll lay hands on a dead rattler, but not a cottonmouth. They stink!

I've eaten rattler, fried, pretty good stuff and they're easy to skin and gut, easier than a rabbit! First time I ate one, it was at a wild game dinner at A&M put on by the Wildlife Biology Association. My degree is in Wildlife and Fisheries Science, fisheries option. So, I see these fried things on the table looked like chicken nuggest, picked up a couple of pieces and started chomping. YES, it tasted like chicken! The department herpetologist was sitting across the table from me, asked how I liked it. My reply was, "It's good, just trying to figure this bone out." I'd thought it was some species of bird like quail when I first picked it up. The guy roared with laughter. He told me it was rattler. "Hmm", and I picked up a couple more pieces to eat. Had I not tried that one, I probably never would have eaten another one.

Endangered? Well, we had 'em on the plate at school! Not cottonmouths, but rattlers. Heck, they kill a slew of 'em at the Texas Rattlesnake Roundup. Roundup - Sweetwater Jaycees You can sample fried rattler there. Never been to it, a might far for a day trip, but I bet it's a fun day. I've got tons of 'em on my place down in Calhoun County this time of year especially. I used to go down there with my .410 Contender and collect supper. I got bit by one I didn't see just off the trail once, but my snake boots saved me. I never go out back without my snake boots in warmer weather and ESPECIALLY in spring. I nearly stepped on one just off my back porch a month ago. I shot it with my 9mm I was carrying.

So, no appologies from me for killing vipers. I've shot coral snakes, too, and copperheads.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 05-14-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    1132 times
    I catch snakes lol. I'm post a picture of the next one I catch
    I will never give in to something that goes against my beliefs. I will die before I fold, because if you can't keep true to yourself what's the point of being a man.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links