WW2 trivia question......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: WW2 trivia question......

Member #
    Liked
    32248 times

WW2 trivia question......

Curious and just thought maybe someone on here might know the answer. Before the Battle of the Coral Sea, had the Japanese carriers ever been the target of an air attack? I'm more or less just trying to gauge the comparative anti-aircraft gunners' experience level of both sides. I'm thinkin' Coral Sea was their crews' first live target test, same as the US.
    777Driver likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    4305 times
    I believe it was. Its most significant historical fact was that it was the first time a naval battle was fought with neither fleet actually sighting the other. While there are any number of web pages about the battle this is one that I found particularly interesting.

https://www.delsjourney.com/uss_neos...ea/summary.htm
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    16234 times
    Yep. Notso's link tells the story well.
    57K and kschilk like this.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9855 times
    Although the big breakthrough for Midway was probably the breaking of the Japanese Naval codes, the other important note on the Coral Sea battle was that badly damaged Yorktown was repaired and present for the Battle of Midway only a month later, neither of the 2 damaged Japanese fleet carriers were available for the Midway battle. If you put the speed of repairs together with the speed of production of carriers, and the outcome in the Pacific was a foregone conclusion, although Midway hastened that outcome, attrition would have eventually taken out Japan.

Although many of the sources danced around the subject, I believe Coral Sea was America's first employment of the naval concept of Air Fleets in which the main combatant was the Carrier and not a Battleship. Like the Nazi use of the Blitzkrieg as a battle concept using armor forces in Europe, Japan had pioneered the concept of the air fleet as a main attacking arm, much like a Blitzkrieg across water, instead of across ground. So for the American Navy to so quickly come up to par with the Japanese Navy, I mean the Battle of Coral Sea was a lot better outcome than the Kasserine Pass in North Africa.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 04-15-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    kschilk and jtg452 like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    4405 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    ... <snip> ...Although many of the sources danced around the subject, I believe Coral Sea was America's first employment of the naval concept of Air Fleets in which the main combatant was the Carrier and not a Battleship. Like the Nazi use of the Blitzkrieg as a battle concept using armor forces in Europe, Japan had pioneered the concept of the air fleet as a main attacking arm, much like a Blitzkrieg across water, instead of across ground. So for the American Navy to so quickly come up to par with the Japanese Navy, I mean the Battle of Coral Sea was a lot better outcome than the Kasserine Pass in North Africa.
    How ironic that just last night I was watching The Military Channel's "Carriers at War" and they made that very point. The US military intelligence community was rocked to its core when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and in one action demonstrated the superiority air power over naval power. Specifically, the Japanese recognized that the days of battleships booming at each other at sea or blasting away at targets inland were over. They (correctly) surmised that the future of military power was air power, but how to get dominant air power over an enemy thousands of miles away? Air-to-air refueling had not been developed yet so a method was needed to transport or carry your air force to that far away target. The days of air power delivered via aircraft carrier were born.
    kschilk and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    18446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    I believe it was. Its most significant historical fact was that it was the first time a naval battle was fought with neither fleet actually sighting the other. While there are any number of web pages about the battle this is one that I found particularly interesting.

https://www.delsjourney.com/uss_neos...ea/summary.htm
    Well done, NotSo. Thank you for the post and excellent link.
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    983 times
    If you've never seen it, the Movie, Midway that stars Charleton Heston and many other greats like Glenn Ford (USNR) Henry Fonda and Robert Mitchum. It is a fairly accurate representation of actual events, considering it came from Hollywood.
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6022 times
    I agree with what Notso said about the article about the battle of the Coral Sea.
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3819 times
    I recommend to all history geeks, particularly WWII history geeks, I heartily endorse Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Tully and Parshall. This is the real deal, describing what really happened during the battle in incredible documented detail. Great story telling as well.
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/si...gpic4401_1.gif
    "Humans more important than hardware."

Member #
    Liked
    18446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
    I recommend to all history geeks, particularly WWII history geeks, I heartily endorse Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Tully and Parshall. This is the real deal, describing what really happened during the battle in incredible documented detail. Great story telling as well.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I just added it to my Amazon book wish list.
    kschilk likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links