PA drivers...things are gonna' change......
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: PA drivers...things are gonna' change......

Member #
    Liked
    32820 times

PA drivers...things are gonna' change......

....here we go again. A couple years ago, somebody in Harrisburg got the bright idea of eliminating the yearly vehicle registration sticker for the license plate. It was a stupid idea from the get-go, just made everything confusing for the drivers and LEOs, especially local depts. The former stickers were issued with every registration renewal, displayed the month and year of expiration and was affixed to the corner of the license plate. Though not terribly big, they were easily seen and read by the cops from a safe distance behind you. Without these stickers, there was no instant, visual verification of a valid registration for the LEOs anymore. As I understand it, the state police were issued cameras that would read the license number and rather quickly retrieve the info from the state database but locals had to either enter it by keyboard and relay through the state or call it in and wait. Either way, wasted time and senseless hassle but according to PennDOT, it was gonna' save them $3 million in the end. ...pretty sure you don't even have to be from PA to see where this is headed.

I was watching the news this morning and they featured a story about this. It would appear that somebody was off on their math. It turns out that instead of saving $3 million, it all ended up costing them $22 million. As I understand it, we will soon be going back to a sticker on the plate but now there's talk of somehow incorporating the vehicle registration and safety inspection on the same sticker, you know.......to save a buncha' money. ...I get the feeling this is gonna' be another one of those cluster.......thingies.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    In Texas we now only have to display one sticker--the windshield registration. But you can't renew your registration without your car first passing its annual inspection. The inspection system automatically informs the registration system once the vehicle has passed. It is one less sticker to gunk up the windshield, and nothing need be attached to the license plate.

As to how much money that has cost/saved Texas taxpayers...well, I'm too lazy to Google it
    kschilk and Smokewagon like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2985 times
    Glad I don't have to deal with that crap.
    kschilk and Desperado like this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    47336 times
    In Florida, we have the stickers, but we used to get a new plate every year, so there had to be a cost savings... or they found a new way to blow that surplus. Someone must have thought it was cruel and unusual punishment for the prisoners to be making them.
    We did get rid of the useless vehicle inspection system.
    Mark40, kschilk, MOONDAWG and 2 others like this.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    30852 times
    I have two ideas that I guarantee will save money; do away with safety inspections - we're adults, for heaven's sake - and fire the guy who came up with the other ideas.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    7410 times
    In Arizona, if you live in a county with a major city (like Phoenix, Tucson, or Flagstaff), you have to pass a 'smog inspection' before you can renew your license plates. For most post 1996 cars, all the test does is make sure that your vehicle does not have any emissions related codes showing in a code reading. Simple enough; no inspetion under the hood, just a code read.
    kschilk and Boheeber like this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Member #
    Liked
    18828 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    In Arizona, if you live in a county with a major city (like Phoenix, Tucson, or Flagstaff), you have to pass a 'smog inspection' before you can renew your license plates. For most post 1996 cars, all the test does is make sure that your vehicle does not have any emissions related codes showing in a code reading. Simple enough; no inspetion under the hood, just a code read.
    "In today's news, Arizona announced, at a press conference, that they have awarded a lucrative contract to the Volkswagen Group to supply code readers for the state's vehicle inspection stations."

What could possibly go wrong?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30640 times
    Being from Texas, I guess I thought the old sticker-on-the-plate thing went away about 15-20 years ago. Like it was said above, we have one sticker now, the registration sticker, which can't be obtained without having your car inspected. The inspection is immediately fed into the registration system and you can get your registration, which goes on your windshield and is the only sticker you have. The system is very efficient, I've gotten my inspection, driven 5 minutes to the registration office, and gotten my sticker with no delay at all. I like the system the way it is now.
    cassrh, kschilk and Boheeber like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    709 times
    To those advocating doing away with annual safety inspections I have to disagree, I've seen cars with no lights, tires made mostly of duct tape that were stopped by the driver dragging their foot outside of the door.
    Well maybe not that bad but pretty close, there are People who do no maintenance on their cars and don't replace anything until the vehicle is un-driveable and the usually don't carry insurance either.
    kschilk and Boheeber like this.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    ....here we go again. A couple years ago, somebody in Harrisburg got the bright idea of eliminating the yearly vehicle registration sticker for the license plate. It was a stupid idea from the get-go, just made everything confusing for the drivers and LEOs, especially local depts. The former stickers were issued with every registration renewal, displayed the month and year of expiration and was affixed to the corner of the license plate. Though not terribly big, they were easily seen and read by the cops from a safe distance behind you. Without these stickers, there was no instant, visual verification of a valid registration for the LEOs anymore. As I understand it, the state police were issued cameras that would read the license number and rather quickly retrieve the info from the state database but locals had to either enter it by keyboard and relay through the state or call it in and wait. Either way, wasted time and senseless hassle but according to PennDOT, it was gonna' save them $3 million in the end. ...pretty sure you don't even have to be from PA to see where this is headed.

I was watching the news this morning and they featured a story about this. It would appear that somebody was off on their math. It turns out that instead of saving $3 million, it all ended up costing them $22 million. As I understand it, we will soon be going back to a sticker on the plate but now there's talk of somehow incorporating the vehicle registration and safety inspection on the same sticker, you know.......to save a buncha' money. ...I get the feeling this is gonna' be another one of those cluster.......thingies.
    Thanks for posting this. I did not see the most recent story but I was wondering if this was too good to be true when they did away with the sticker for the license plate.
    kschilk likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links