PA drivers...things are gonna' change...... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: PA drivers...things are gonna' change......

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20399 times
    Well, you know implanted RFID tags at birth. . . . or lab cloned . . . just gotta be on the way. Info uploaded to the chip once a month and broadcast for scanning as needed.

^
    /
    /
    |
    |
    Scotty, beam my ass outta her.................
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Wow! I grew up in PA and had forgotten all about those pesky bi-yearly inspections till you mentioned it. Overkill for sure, and there were always places where a sticker could be "obtained" at a price slightly over what the lawful rate was

And state police would monitor on-ramps on freeways the first of every month and pull over people in droves for not having a current sticker...grrrrrrr!
    kschilk and CaptainMorgan like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5360 times
    I actually thought of taking a pic of a valid sticker and printing a copyto put in the windshield because PA is such a home on inspections....decided it wasn't worth the risk as I'm not a criminal type.
    kschilk and Boheeber like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1586 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    ....here we go again. A couple years ago, somebody in Harrisburg got the bright idea of eliminating the yearly vehicle registration sticker for the license plate. It was a stupid idea from the get-go, just made everything confusing for the drivers and LEOs, especially local depts. The former stickers were issued with every registration renewal, displayed the month and year of expiration and was affixed to the corner of the license plate. Though not terribly big, they were easily seen and read by the cops from a safe distance behind you. Without these stickers, there was no instant, visual verification of a valid registration for the LEOs anymore. As I understand it, the state police were issued cameras that would read the license number and rather quickly retrieve the info from the state database but locals had to either enter it by keyboard and relay through the state or call it in and wait. Either way, wasted time and senseless hassle but according to PennDOT, it was gonna' save them $3 million in the end. ...pretty sure you don't even have to be from PA to see where this is headed.

I was watching the news this morning and they featured a story about this. It would appear that somebody was off on their math. It turns out that instead of saving $3 million, it all ended up costing them $22 million. As I understand it, we will soon be going back to a sticker on the plate but now there's talk of somehow incorporating the vehicle registration and safety inspection on the same sticker, you know.......to save a buncha' money. ...I get the feeling this is gonna' be another one of those cluster.......thingies.
    Sound like the same folks who run the Pa. Turnpike. 12 billion in dept!!!!!!!!
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    Sound like the same folks who run the Pa. Turnpike. 12 billion in dept!!!!!!!!
    PennDOT.......I believe that's an indian word meaning "if their brains were gas, they wouldn't have enough there to power a pissant's motorcycle around the inside of a Cheerio".
    Taurus1965 and CaptainMorgan like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    Big deal, as i just a few years it will be done wirelessly when your self driving car pings the navigation beacons. Within ten years of that, you will not be allowed to "own" a car but lease one.
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4180 times
    I believe it is less expensive and safer to maintain a vehicle, however, many otherwise intelligent people refuse to maintain or repair their vehicles creating dangerous situations for others. Driving home Friday the brakes on the car behind me were squealing like a stuck pig. I see cars with broken ball joints on the side of the road. The inspection requirement helps getting these idiots off the road.
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I believe it is less expensive and safer to maintain a vehicle, however, many otherwise intelligent people refuse to maintain or repair their vehicles creating dangerous situations for others. Driving home Friday the brakes on the car behind me were squealing like a stuck pig. I see cars with broken ball joints on the side of the road. The inspection requirement helps getting these idiots off the road.
    ...can't say a state inspection would've made a difference in that ball joint. Pa just made a change in the inspection mechanic's license renewal process and we now have to take a retest online. One of the questions on my test was to the effect of "If a ball joint does not exceed the allowable movement specifications but makes loud, creaking/popping noises when turning, does it pass?" ..the answer was "Yes"! I'm supposed to pass a ball joint that could shear-off at any moment but God help you if one out of two of your license plate lights are out......I think I'm still allowed to shoot ya' on the spot for that one. Seriously, though......it's about that screwed-up now.

Actually, there is some leniency for the mechanic to fail a vehicle that he feels is for any reason unsafe but a customer can contest it, possibly resulting in a suspension or loss of inspection license(s) and sizable fines for the station and mech. If an inspection mechanic makes you fix/replace something to pass inspection that doesn't legitimately need to be fixed/replaced, the first offense is a minimum 4 month suspension plus, I believe around $500 or so in fines.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2536 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    If you're in PA, and PA requires those inspections, and those inspections help keep those idiots off the road, why weren't those idiots "caught" by the required inspections?

Were you driving home from outside of PA and that's where the idiots were?
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4180 times
    In PA, yearly inspections. They can get away with it until inspection. Just read Kschilk's reply about inspections, that's a turn for the worse.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links