PA drivers...things are gonna' change...... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: PA drivers...things are gonna' change......

Member #
    Liked
    2179 times
    Weighing in from Kansas...we had a vehicle inspection system for about 4 years back in the late 70's early 80's. Every car ever taken in for inspection needed a brake job--at the same shop that did the inspections (imagine that).

There was a time in the 70's we had front license plates, but those (obviously) cost twice the money, so that didn't last very long either (maybe not even a year).

We used to get new plates every year, but that went away in the later 80's or early 90's (I think).

After doing away with yearly plates, they decided to replace them every four or five years. After a couple months of that, they decided it would be cheaper to not issue new plates. Now we have so many different letter/number combinations, we're probably going to re-issue current numbers that are active.

Now we get a sticker every year.

Ain't government grand?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    In Florida, we have the stickers, but we used to get a new plate every year, so there had to be a cost savings... or they found a new way to blow that surplus. Someone must have thought it was cruel and unusual punishment for the prisoners to be making them.
    We did get rid of the useless vehicle inspection system.
    Ditto. We did away with the emissions testing and have always done the registration stickers. Registration done thru the mail and only takes a couple minutes to affix the sticker. We only have to get new plates if we want custom stuff (I donít) or trade vehicles.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

ďViolent crime is feasible only when itís victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments donít create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jspdrcrmach5 View Post
    To those advocating doing away with annual safety inspections I have to disagree, I've seen cars with no lights, tires made mostly of duct tape that were stopped by the driver dragging their foot outside of the door.
    Well maybe not that bad but pretty close, there are People who do no maintenance on their cars and don't replace anything until the vehicle is un-driveable and the usually don't carry insurance either.
    Speak for yourself. If the green new deal goes thru (doubt it) thatís the only cars we can use!

Maybe itís because our stateís cops donít put much interested in tail lights being out. Blinkers not working. Etc. As noted previously, Iím adult enough to worry about these for myself. And in the warmer months Iíll rest my arm on the window and use old fashioned hand signals along with the turn signal indicators. But I grew up in a different age where I had to learn to drive a stick if I wanted to drive and I learned to drive at age 12 on an old dirt road.
    GeorgiaCarry.org

ďViolent crime is feasible only when itís victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments donít create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33046 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    In Arizona, if you live in a county with a major city (like Phoenix, Tucson, or Flagstaff), you have to pass a 'smog inspection' before you can renew your license plates. For most post 1996 cars, all the test does is make sure that your vehicle does not have any emissions related codes showing in a code reading. Simple enough; no inspetion under the hood, just a code read.
    Pretty much the same here except they also use a sniffer to check the exhaust. The more metro counties have a separate emissions inspection with it's own separate sticker that goes on the windshield beside the safety sticker. In other counties, we still have to do what they term an "anti-tamper" visual inspection of the emissions components. Not a reason in ____ for it and absolutely no point to it, since nothing has to be functioning......it just has to be there.

To those advocating doing away with annual safety inspections I have to disagree, I've seen cars with no lights, tires made mostly of duct tape that were stopped by the driver dragging their foot outside of the door.
    Well maybe not that bad but pretty close, there are People who do no maintenance on their cars and don't replace anything until the vehicle is un-driveable and the usually don't carry insurance either.
    ...kinda' sorta' with ya' on this. Very few people so much as give their vehicles a walk-around once in awhile, let alone check anything else. In their defense, it's gettin' hard to do much more than check the lights on newer stuff. Fewer drum brakes have inspection ports now and many wheel and wheelcover designs prevent eyeballing disc pads and rotors without pullin' wheels. Aside from that, people just don't wanna' spend money on their cars until they absolutely have to and then, only as much as they absolutely have to. Unfortunately, this approach usually ends up costing much more in the end due to collateral damage.

Years ago, PA required semi-annual inspections and frankly, that would save a lot of people a bunch of money were it reinstated.......with one caveat.......it's gotta' be legit. The current inspection program in PA is a joke, it needs to either be fixed or scrapped altogether. Any vehicle that passes the minimum state requirements for a safety inspection, has no business bein' on the road. As the intent here seems to be all about the money, I think they should just add whatever they want to make to the registration and stop harassing the public with this faux inspection nonsense. I think vehicle inspections are necessary for the majority of car owners and likely beneficial to all but only if they're done with true purpose.
    CaptainMorgan and Boheeber like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    Pretty much the same here except they also use a sniffer to check the exhaust. The more metro counties have a separate emissions inspection with it's own separate sticker that goes on the windshield beside the safety sticker. In other counties, we still have to do what they term an "anti-tamper" visual inspection of the emissions components. Not a reason in ____ for it and absolutely no point to it, since nothing has to be functioning......it just has to be there.

...kinda' sorta' with ya' on this. Very few people so much as give their vehicles a walk-around once in awhile, let alone check anything else. In their defense, it's gettin' hard to do much more than check the lights on newer stuff. Fewer drum brakes have inspection ports now and many wheel and wheelcover designs prevent eyeballing disc pads and rotors without pullin' wheels. Aside from that, people just don't wanna' spend money on their cars until they absolutely have to and then, only as much as they absolutely have to. Unfortunately, this approach usually ends up costing much more in the end due to collateral damage.

Years ago, PA required semi-annual inspections and frankly, that would save a lot of people a bunch of money were it reinstated.......with one caveat.......it's gotta' be legit. The current inspection program in PA is a joke, it needs to either be fixed or scrapped altogether. Any vehicle that passes the minimum state requirements for a safety inspection, has no business bein' on the road. As the intent here seems to be all about the money, I think they should just add whatever they want to make to the registration and stop harassing the public with this faux inspection nonsense. I think vehicle inspections are necessary for the majority of car owners and likely beneficial to all but only if they're done with true purpose.
    Must suck (or sniff) to be him!
    kschilk likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Member #
    Liked
    1321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Must suck (or sniff) to be him!

How would YOU like to have a 1-1/4" diameter "emissions sampler sensor" stuffed up YOUR tailpipe?

Flash
    kschilk likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. ó Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30959 times
    In Texas, people were stealing the stickers off of the license plates, way back when we did that, because you just put the new sticker on top of the old one, and in a few years there was enough rise to where you could get a nail under there and pull most of the stickers off, including of course the most recent one.
    kschilk and Boheeber like this.
    ďDemocracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    5157 times
    Terrific....just gives me another reason to hate Penndot! I miss Florida! Hell....PA inspections make me miss the inspections in NJ! Nowthat is really saying something. Other than the gun laws in PA.....there are times I'd swear we are still beholden to the English Crown!
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5157 times
    And the law requiring a sticker stops them how? Almost everyone can find a place to buy a sticker....no real inspection required. I did it for my motorcycle for years. Hell....NJ was very strict and i used to do it for a pickup truck I had....it stops no one.
    kschilk and Boheeber like this.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Arizona thinks they have this licked. They are wanting to implement a Digital LCD License Plate.

It stores all kinds of information and can be turned off, or alert the LEO that your Registration/Tag is expired.

Of course we all know that government digital crap can't be hacked or jammed.

On the funny side, decades ago I watched one of my Sergeants use paint to fix a ding on his motorcycle.

This curious (then PFC) went to watch the touch up, only to find he was painting the "sticker" on his bike's license plate to be the new year's color.

He said he hadn't bought a new tag in over 10 years, and had never been pulled over. 😇

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links