The Year 2038 Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Year 2038 Problem

Member #
    Liked
    4460 times

The Year 2038 Problem

Reading RandyP's post on a GPS anomaly (https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/l...ast-night.html) brought to mind something that's potentially quite serious.

I'm sure we all remember the kerfuffle the Y2K panic caused. Something that will likely be much more serious and will actually happen is the Unix Year 2038 problem. When the Unix operating system was created it was coded to represent time as the number of seconds that have passed since 00:00:00, January 1, 1970, as a 32-bit binary integer. This field will reach its maximum value at 03:14:07 UTC, January 19, 2038. What happens then? Better start preppin'.

Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
    Doctordeere and 777Driver like this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    20850 times
    We are all going to die.
    Wait.
    I'll already be dead.
    Whew.
    CJS3, 57K, slong115 and 2 others like this.
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2209 times
    Well, if I'm still around (which I plan to be) I will fleece as many big companies with my "Y2038 fix" as I can, just like many people got rich off the "Y2K fix". I was with a Fortune 500 company at the time, and we spent millions going over software that was never going to be a problem. However, the panic had taken over leadership and they refused to listen to their people, but were more than willing to listen to snake oil salesmen.

Next time, I'm cashing in!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    48028 times
    Will that affect who changes my diapers?
    jimb1972 and dogchild like this.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    1817 times
    As long as the cash registers at the liquor store are ok, I'm ok.
    Stroker likes this.
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.
    ~ Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    4927 times
    My wife was with (now defunct) Nortel Networks and headed up the Y2K efforts. She has said that the engineers and even marketing people knew that it would not be a problem but the multi-million dollar effort to ensure nothing happened was primarily a response to the panic of the customer base. The customer panic was overwhelming and she had to deploy response teams worldwide to do database and OS verification testing to assuage the fears of their global accounts. They actually had 'go teams' waiting on Dec 31, 1999, to deploy to any accounts that had hiccups. As it turned out - a big nothing burger.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the UNIX-heads are even admitting that there might be an issue. Everyone knows that only 'real' computers use UNIX and that all UNIX base systems are faultless.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    5689 times
    You guys really disappoint me. Doesn't anybody pay attention to the news? Well for those that are woefully ignorant I will fill you in. Climate change will have killed all of us by then so worrying about this issue is just plain silly.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2209 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    My wife was with (now defunct) Nortel Networks and headed up the Y2K efforts. She has said that the engineers and even marketing people knew that it would not be a problem but the multi-million dollar effort to ensure nothing happened was primarily a response to the panic of the customer base. The customer panic was overwhelming and she had to deploy response teams worldwide to do database and OS verification testing to assuage the fears of their global accounts. They actually had 'go teams' waiting on Dec 31, 1999, to deploy to any accounts that had hiccups. As it turned out - a big nothing burger.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the UNIX-heads are even admitting that there might be an issue. Everyone knows that only 'real' computers use UNIX and that all UNIX base systems are faultless.
    Wow, what a name from the past. I made a few trips out to Santa Clara to meet with Northern Telecom, trying to iron out issues communicating with the SL-1 PBX. It's the first (and only) office building I ever visited in which my briefcase was opened and searched. This was back in the 80's long before Y2K was a concern.

I was our department's sacrificial lamb to the Y2K effort, and the whole thing was a waste of money. We spent months trying to explain our system to the "expert consultants" and they still never understood anything. They were clueless, but as long as they were getting paid big bucks, the leadership would listen to them rather than to their own. It was a waste, but it was theirs to waste!
    chefduane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1057 times
    Why worry about 2038? According to AOC, the world is going to die in 12 years.
    That's 2031. Don't waste my time with 2038.
    chefduane and Desperado like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5351 times
    There are nerds out there working on this I'm sure. It's what they do.

All the Best,
    D. White
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links