Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: There's a privately owned fleet of Starfighters in Florida

Member #
    Liked
    16424 times

There's a privately owned fleet of Starfighters in Florida

F-104 Starfighters active in Florida.

It may not be widely known, but the only fleet of privately owned 104s is based at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Starfighters Aerospace offer their Starfighters for use in a variety of test and research roles. According to the FAA register, eight F-104s are registered to Starfighters Inc./RLB Aviation Inc., though it’s unlikely all eight are airworthy at any one time.

I didn't think there were more than a handful still around, and most of those on static display.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    33931 times
    ...still pretty hot lookin' for a gal over 60.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    The Widow Maker.

Bad ass plane that has to go fast to stay in the air. Even landing and taking off.

I have a neighbor that's punched out of 2 of them. he really doesn't like it.

AFS
    Desperado, ICUKev and whichfinger like this.
    There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2701 times
    Are they available to be called up by the Florida militia?
    ICUKev and whichfinger like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19689 times
    When you see one of those in person, whether static display or in flight, you understand the phrase, "Flying Prostitute." It has absolutely NO visible means of support!
    whichfinger and GhostHorse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    998 times
    Tico air show. I have seen this bird do "time to clime" . It's still one of the fastest.
    Valiant Air Command
    rules. The warbird museum is unreal. If it's in the museum it works for a living. Every thing is flight ready. Yes, everything they display can and does fly. That's not always a good thing as they can be out of the museum at times flying airshows. The air and space museum was cool, the space center, a few air force bases i have been on but a working vintage warbird hanger, LOL it will make you ten years old again.

Member #
    Liked
    4691 times
    though it’s unlikely all eight are airworthy at any one time.

If you have experience in aviation maintenance you know it's VERY unlikely all eight are airworthy at ANY time. Either routine maintenance, system failures or awating parts will impact availability.
    whichfinger likes this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    1488 times
    Wow, we used to deploy to Coldlake Canada and fight with Canadian FIghter Squadron 417 with our F-8s and F-4s.(I was with USN Fighter Squadron 201) Even the F-4 could out turn them easily and the F-8 well no competition, they just burned fuel. Awesome technology for the day, a J79 with wings. I always love watching them fly and the noise with the variable guide vanes when they spoiled up was out of Star Wars!
    whichfinger likes this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    998 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    Wow, we used to deploy to Coldlake Canada and fight with Canadian FIghter Squadron 417 with our F-8s and F-4s.(I was with USN Fighter Squadron 201) Even the F-4 could out turn them easily and the F-8 well no competition, they just burned fuel. Awesome technology for the day, a J79 with wings. I always love watching them fly and the noise with the variable guide vanes when they spoiled up was out of Star Wars!
    Turn? Who needs to turn.
    An NF-104A Starfighter fitted with an additional rocket engine was also regularly used in zoom-climb research for future spaceflight. On May 7, 1958, the aircraft reached an altitude of 91,249 feet (27.81 km) in a zoom climb at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., setting a new altitude record. The Mach 2 mission took the airplane so high that the standard F-104’s jet engines routinely exceeded their temperature limits and had to be shut down. Sometimes the engine simply flamed out for lack of air. Then the pilot steered the aircraft like a returning spaceship to a lower altitude, where he would restart the engine.It was on one such "zoom climb" flight that test pilot Chuck Yeager was nearly killed flying a heavily modified F-104 on December 10, 1963.[3]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_climb
    whichfinger likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16928 times
    Name:  F 104.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  87.3 KB

Just the name evokes an, any time baby, badass attitude.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 03-01-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    darbo, Ickthus and whichfinger like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links