Traction control sucks
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Traction control sucks

Member #
    Liked
    7525 times

Traction control sucks

I hate the traction control on newer vehicles. Buried a Ford Escape in the snow today, as soon as the wheels slip a little the damn traction control cuts power. When you are up to the axles in snow, that means you stop right now with no chance you will get the damn thing moving again. My wifes mini van is a Dodge and at least I can turn it off on that, otherwise I can't make it up the hill to my house with it on.
    darbo, Lmstncwby, pegasus and 1 others like this.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    19445 times
    The new car function I can't stand is the turn off/turn on when the car stops and starts. How many starters and batteries are going through to save a few tablespoons of gas?!

Member #
    Liked
    5952 times
    My last 6 new vehicles have all been Chevy / GMC. They all gave me the option to turn the traction control on or off.

On the other hand, you could always move to where there is no snow and that would kind of solve the problem too I guess.

Don
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35847 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I hate the traction control on newer vehicles. Buried a Ford Escape in the snow today, as soon as the wheels slip a little the damn traction control cuts power. When you are up to the axles in snow, that means you stop right now with no chance you will get the damn thing moving again. My wifes mini van is a Dodge and at least I can turn it off on that, otherwise I can't make it up the hill to my house with it on.
    Since the Ford system doesn't cut power until both wheels are slipping, I suspect you were already in more trouble than you could handle. The Escape has an open differential, and without traction control you would only have 1 wheel drive.

BTW, if you think you can do better, you can switch the system off. Check the owner's manual.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    22174 times
    Not sure if this is the right model year....

jimb1972 likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    33276 times
    Yank the anti-stop brake fuse, that will disable most of the population control systems.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31044 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    Yank the anti-stop brake fuse, that will disable most of the population control systems.
    I might do that myself. I hate it when I see a snake in the road and can't lock the brakes up as I slide over it. I have to either spin out on it or get out and shoot it. Dirt road, no ricochet problems. And, I CAN turn my traction control off. In addition, I have a positrack differential I can turn off or on. I turn THAT off whenever I get in and fire it up. I don't want it on while on the asphalt.
    kschilk, jimb1972, 230JHP and 1 others like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    33276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I might do that myself. I hate it when I see a snake in the road and can't lock the brakes up as I slide over it. I have to either spin out on it or get out and shoot it. Dirt road, no ricochet problems. And, I CAN turn my traction control off. In addition, I have a positrack differential I can turn off or on. I turn THAT off whenever I get in and fire it up. I don't want it on while on the asphalt.
    Only downside is that it'll light all the there-for-the-sole-purpose-of-distraction dash lights. On the upside......as long as you're seein' those lights, you'll prob'ly never have to see the ones on an ambulance.
    NativeTexan and 230JHP like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    659 times
    there is also a button to turn off the auto engine stop/start. But i have no idea what a new starter might cost since it is supposedly much beefier to handle the additional starts.
    And my 2018 (and my son's 2017) F150 4x4 has a 4A setting (in additional to 4 high, 4 low and electric differential lock, good riddance differential clutches ) that puts you in all wheel drive that can be run on any road surface, wet or dry. he just bought his a couple weeks ago in Seattle and in last weeks snow and ice storm there he ran in it all the time and loved it. He ferried guys in his submarine command to and from work making good use of the crew cab and bragging that it took a florida born and raised boy to negotiate the snow!
    Last edited by terryb; 02-17-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add
    darbo, 230JHP, gbusmech and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5074 times
    My Edge Limited AWD has a similar traction control system as the Escape. Yeah, it ain't no substitute for 4x. Aside from being somewhat useless as a TRUE traction control system, the PTU (power transfer unit) they use has known heating issues. My Explorer had true 4x4 High and Low (via a REAL transfer case) and could really handle any weather conditions. Not a rock crawler but it could hand pretty much anything.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links