Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 10th Anniversary of "The Miracle on the Hudson"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10712 times

10th Anniversary of "The Miracle on the Hudson"

Ten years ago today Cpt. Sullivan,. his co-pilot and the flight crew, saved all souls aboard when they had to ditch in a water landing on the Hudson River.

The movie of these events, "Sully", has the blessing of my best friend, a retired airline Captain, as being extremely true to life, as opposed, I guess, to the inverted flight and subsequent recovery of "Flight" starring Denzel Washington.

Pflash Phelps, if you are listeners to SiriusXM "60's on 6", commemorated this event with his "City of the Day" which was Hudson, NY.

I think I'll re-watch "SullY" which I have on DVD. It's worth streaming if you haven't seen it. Cpt. Sullivan endured quite a bit more than hero worship after "The Miracle"...
    chefduane and darbo like this.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    8143 times
    Can't believe it's been 10 years !! I'll also watch it tonight - good movie. But I liked Flight also.
    coopercdrkey likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    I was working at the Mercantile Exchange adjacent to the Hudson River in New York when that took place. I just happened to look out the window to the north, upriver, as the jetliner “ landed” in the water. I literally couldn’t believe my eyes and I turned to my staff and said, “guys, take a look, your not going to believe this”. Ferries and water taxis immediately turned toward the plane to lend a hand, followed shortly thereafter by police and fire boats.
    I experienced a lot living in New York, working a block away from ground zero on Sept 11th and being in the North Tower when the first plane struck will always be first and foremost in my mind, but seeing a jetliner floating down the Hudson, well that’s right up there.
    "Some people wonder all their lives, if they have made a difference. Marines don't have that problem".
    Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    Ten years, really?? Gosh I'm old.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    48158 times
    If you had asked me how long it's been, before this thread, I would have answered; About five years.
    Man, where does the time go?
    Last edited by rollin thunder; 01-16-2019 at 06:06 AM.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    5296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coopercdrkey View Post
    Ten years ago today Cpt. Sullivan,. his co-pilot and the flight crew, saved all souls aboard when they had to ditch in a water landing on the Hudson River.

The movie of these events, "Sully", has the blessing of my best friend, a retired airline Captain, as being extremely true to life, as opposed, I guess, to the inverted flight and subsequent recovery of "Flight" starring Denzel Washington.

Pflash Phelps, if you are listeners to SiriusXM "60's on 6", commemorated this event with his "City of the Day" which was Hudson, NY.

I think I'll re-watch "SullY" which I have on DVD. It's worth streaming if you haven't seen it. Cpt. Sullivan endured quite a bit more than hero worship after "The Miracle"...
    Chesley Sullenberger (soft 'g'.) Not 'Sullivan.' They called him 'Sully' since he never cared for 'Chesley.' A Texan BTW. Born in Denison, about an hour due north up Hwy 75 from me.
    His book Highest Duty: My Search for What Really Matters was fascinating and from a pilots perspective. He assessed the situation at hand objectively given the condition of his aircraft (understanding intuitively and operationally its rapidly deteriorating non-powered flight characteristics), increasing rate of descent, and options regarding landing or ditching possibilities. Given those parameters, he made the right decision and (this is the real kicker) he >executed it perfectly<. In emergency situations ATP's know the course of action that needs to be taken to get down safely. Executing that course of action is where skill, talent, and airmanship, come into play. That and a big old pile of luck. He had all the right stuff that day. So did FO Jeff Skiles and the rest of the crew, and all the first responders on the Hudson.

Edit: Forgot to mention Air Traffic Controller Patrick Harten of La Guardia TRACON. A cooler head in the tower doesn't exist.
    Last edited by chefduane; 01-16-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    coopercdrkey likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    24840 times
    I watched the rescue on TV and was in awe of what it took to put that plane down without flipping it or hitting something on the way down.

It was sad that they gave Captain Sully so much grief over his decision to do what he did. They really armchair quarterbacked his actions.

Some said he should have turned back to the airport but he insists he did not have the altitude or airspeed to make it. Many agree with him.

I am neither a pilot nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but from my end it appears that he did everything right as there were no casualties.

And for that, he should be commended.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    Chesley Sullenberger (soft 'g'.) Not 'Sullivan.'
    Of Course. I realized my mistake as I was drifting off to sleep last night, and had intended to correct myself this morning. You beat me to it and provided a good bit of additional information in the process, so Thanks!
    chefduane and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    48158 times
    It didn't hurt that he is an experienced glider pilot.
    coopercdrkey and chefduane like this.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    3956 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post

It was sad that they gave Captain Sully so much grief over his decision to do what he did. They really armchair quarterbacked his actions.

Some said he should have turned back to the airport but he insists he did not have the altitude or airspeed to make it. Many agree with him.

I am neither a pilot nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but from my end it appears that he did everything right as there were no casualties.

And for that, he should be commended.
    While I hate the fact that they will put you through the ringer, I understand why they do it. First, his choices put hundred of lives and a multi million dollar piece of equipment at risk. People could have died because of his actions. Landing on water is ALWAYS a bad idea, because its basically uneven concrete when you hit it at that speed, that then immediately turns into quicksand. So they will pull out the bright lights and sit you under them, and then question until you think you can't possibly be asked another question, or the same questions, anymore, and then they will ask some more. And then just when you think it's over, that's when they pull out the electron microscope. And the number 1 reason why they do all this, culpability (aka, money). Lawsuits, stock shares and profit margins make the world go round, and most companies will eat their own if it keeps them in the black. 1 choppy wave, 1 gust of wind, 1 boat in the wrong place at the wrong time could have made this a very different story, and that's just a few of the many factors that could have made a real bad situation into an absolute horror story. So yes, Captain Sullenberger did the right thing, and every thing worked out perfectly considering the circumstances, and he deserves to be recognized as a hero without question because his quick thinking and skills saved lives. But I can understand why the company didn't throw a parade for him the moment his feet touched dry land again.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links