Penn State says wilderness is too risky
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Penn State says wilderness is too risky

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times

Penn State says wilderness is too risky

Its short enough I can place the whole article here. Clearly our universities are intent on producing snowflakes. So I guess the Outdoor Recreation Club will just watch slide shows. How pitiful.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Penn State University says it has banned its near-century-old outdoor recreation club from going outside because it is too dangerous out in the wilderness. The 98-year-old Penn State Outing Club announced last week that the university will no longer allow the club to organize outdoor, student-led trips starting next semester. The university’s offices of Student Affairs and Risk Management made the determination that the hiking, camping and other outdoors-focused activities the student-led club has long engaged in are too risky.

The Outing Club’s current president Richard Waltz tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the decision wasn’t an open dialogue and they weren’t briefed on the determination. A Penn State spokeswoman says student safety is the school’s primary focus. Two other outdoor recreation clubs also have been directed to end trip offerings.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    1586 times
    Penn State University says it has banned its near-century-old outdoor recreation club from going outside
    Guess they'll have to rename it the INDOOR Recreation Club - and spend their time on video games.
    Sad...
    CaptainMorgan and Lomax like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2315 times
    To be fair, wild animal attacks have been on the rise in recent years in the state of Pennsylvania, with there being something of an issue regarding the overpopulation of coyotes leading to them wandering into the suburbs and attacking people/pets, ergo it's not really surprising that Penn State University would prefer to mitigate the risk of getting sued over wild animal attacks by suspending their clubs' outdoor activities.
    kschilk likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    24863 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    To be fair, wild animal attacks have been on the rise in recent years in the state of Pennsylvania, with there being something of an issue regarding the overpopulation of coyotes leading to them wandering into the suburbs and attacking people/pets, ergo it's not really surprising that Penn State University would prefer to mitigate the risk of getting sued over wild animal attacks by suspending their clubs' outdoor activities.
    It would be quite simple to have the student participants sign liability waivers.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    Lomax and Cariwine like this.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19672 times
    How on earth did this country's early explorers and settlers move anywhere west of the Mississippi River? I guess the ones who had the courage, did go; the ones making these kinds of decisions are descended from those too timid to leave.

And that's about all I trust myself to say at this time.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33428 times
    If it's coyotes their worried about, I know a bunch of Texans that would be happy to thin the population for them.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    17620 times
    They probably got tired of listening to all the complaining of no wifi and bad cell signal out in the woods and just decided to drop it all together. I could be wrong, but i have strong doubts that people going to that school know what real camping is, or want to do it.
    "Let's get on our knees and pray. I don't know to whom. Is there a patron saint of ballistics?"-Adam Savage
    Its never wrong, it just hasn't been fixed right yet. -TSH

If Guns Kill People. I guess Pencils misspell words, Cars drive drunk & Spoons make people fat.....

Member #
    Liked
    8147 times
    Make the club a non-school related enity and continue as before. Sounds like a limp wrister complained.
    Desperado, 230JHP and twolfe55 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5494 times
    I bet this is MUCH more about potential sexual assault than it is actual natural dangers in the woods.

You can't make it men only or women only because that isn't "inclusive" thus the events have to
    be scrapped.

All the Best,
    D. White
    53rdcard and twolfe55 like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    2315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    It would be quite simple to have the student participants sign liability waivers.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    That wouldn't prevent them from receiving negative publicity over their students getting attacked by wild animals while on a University-approved trip in the wilderness.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links