Penn State says wilderness is too risky - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Penn State says wilderness is too risky

Member #
    Liked
    22483 times
    Good grief. Well there's always Outward Bound.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    33934 times
    ....sorta' makes ya' wonder just what makes these yahoos think any animals would wanna' eat 'em in the first place?
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    526 times
    PSU Alum here.

Apparently we can drink and play football. Just don't accidentally run your head into anyone while tackling. Our soccer team is no longer allowed to head the ball either. Please no Sandusky jokes.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4693 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyC2639 View Post
    Its short enough I can place the whole article here. Clearly our universities are intent on producing snowflakes. So I guess the Outdoor Recreation Club will just watch slide shows. How pitiful.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) – Penn State University says it has banned its near-century-old outdoor recreation club from going outside because it is too dangerous out in the wilderness. The 98-year-old Penn State Outing Club announced last week that the university will no longer allow the club to organize outdoor, student-led trips starting next semester. The university’s offices of Student Affairs and Risk Management made the determination that the hiking, camping and other outdoors-focused activities the student-led club has long engaged in are too risky.

The Outing Club’s current president Richard Waltz tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the decision wasn’t an open dialogue and they weren’t briefed on the determination. A Penn State spokeswoman says student safety is the school’s primary focus. Two other outdoor recreation clubs also have been directed to end trip offerings.
    Ok, this is the 21st century. Outing has a whole different context.
    TonyC2639, 53rdcard and kschilk like this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    To be fair, wild animal attacks have been on the rise in recent years in the state of Pennsylvania, with there being something of an issue regarding the overpopulation of coyotes leading to them wandering into the suburbs and attacking people/pets, ergo it's not really surprising that Penn State University would prefer to mitigate the risk of getting sued over wild animal attacks by suspending their clubs' outdoor activities.
    I'd be curious to know what kind of attacks there are. I know coyotes love to eat cats but I've never heard of one attacking a person unless it was rabid. My property is riddled with coyotes and in 30 years hand to God I've never even seen one. I do hear the shrill cries of the packs every night going on the hunt.

But in any event to the larger point. Being worried about public opinion, reprisals law suits etc is exactly what's wrong with this country. I am sure they could take reasonable precautions and live through some day trips into the woods. Our country is turning into a bunch of pansies and our colleges are encouraging it.
    NativeTexan and darbo like this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16696 times
    darbo and TonyC2639 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7169 times
    I'd lay this at the feet of the personal injury attorneys and the people who want to strike it rich in the litigation lottery by suing deep pockets for the consequences of their own stupidity and/or carelessness.

Liability waivers sound all fine and good, but attorneys know it's more than possible to shred through one in many cases.

Even if the waiver holds up, a lawsuit can bring in the bean counters who work the 'stand vs. settle' calculus and come to the conclusion that even if the defendant is right, it's more cost-effective to pay a settlement than fight it in court.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    17622 times
    Whoever made this must have watched a old episode of south park and thought the Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka is actually real
    "Let's get on our knees and pray. I don't know to whom. Is there a patron saint of ballistics?"-Adam Savage
    Its never wrong, it just hasn't been fixed right yet. -TSH

If Guns Kill People. I guess Pencils misspell words, Cars drive drunk & Spoons make people fat.....

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31365 times
    When I was a kid, I slept in the woods whenever I had the chance, cool weather with no school. I never got ate by anything.

The "wilderness", even REAL wilderness in New Mexico or other western states, is MUCH safer than Central Park or Detroit or the south side of Chicago. Some of these punks likely go home to cities like this over the holidays.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    7678 times
    How is the great outdoors any more dangerous than a Penn State locker room?
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links