TRIUMPH in the USA...no this is not political. It's motorcycle.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: TRIUMPH in the USA...no this is not political. It's motorcycle.

Member #
    Liked
    19429 times

TRIUMPH in the USA...no this is not political. It's motorcycle.

I know that there are many among us that are motorcycle smart. Or motorcycle knowledge of hard knocks. May by simply intelligent about the hobby.

We have discussed a few times Honda, Kawasaki main stream bread and butter models of the industry. And we have the believers that is it doesn't say Harley on the tank it should be sank.

But, I come here today asking about TRIUMPH Motorcycles. Not the TRIUMPH of the 60s, 70s, 80s and such, but more of the current production bikes.

I know that the bikes of old with English names on them had a Texas heart in them by leaking motor oil every where they were parked. They were produced with questionable wire harnesses prone to leave a rider wanting to use a 45acp firearm as their go to tool of choice and ventilate the engine block. They were also the platform of choice at one time for chopper conversions. And if I recall correctly TRIUMPH was the brand used on Happy Days for the Fonzie to sit upon.

What does the masses have to share of the newer, lets say 2010 and forward production models? Dependable? Are they here to stay? I have heard of more and more dealers dropping them from their multi brand show room floors. Rumors and stories of a couple of the plants being closed. TRIUMPH has a history of highs and lows in the market place usually following the economy. While TRIUMPH does have a decent choice of models ranging from sports bikes to touring, dirt and trail they have a few of the classic designed bikes remaining in their line up.

Share what you can, tell a tale, loan me your knowledge, let me learn from your past, write some history, and entertain us all.

Would you consider buying one? Or would you be more likely to go mainstream Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki history proven production as a toy for local single up riding.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2857 times
    If it don't say Harley on the tank...I wouldn't own it...But that's me...LOL...All kidding aside i am a Harley guy
    after owning a bunch of different bikes....I think Triumph makes good stuff... If that is what you like....To heck with what anyone else
    thinks...It's your money and your fanny sitting on the seat

Member #
    Liked
    22561 times
    I saw one at Costco. I liked it. I haven't rode a bike since my misguided youth, but the only bikes I've ever had were Triumphs. Because....

Way back in the day (50's and 60's), my Uncle was the Triumph distributor (along with some other British/European brands) for the Southeastern U.S.. My dad worked for him. One a day a fellow offered him, basically free, the Honda distributorship for his territory. He laughed and told the guy...."Those Japanese bikes will never sell"....at least that's the story my Dad always told. I believe it.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19429 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    I saw one at Costco. I liked it. I haven't rode a bike since my misguided youth, but the only bikes I've ever had were Triumphs. Because....

Way back in the day (50's and 60's), my Uncle was the Triumph distributor (along with some other British/European brands) for the Southeastern U.S.. My dad worked for him. One a day a fellow offered him, basically free, the Honda distributorship for his territory. He laughed and told the guy...."Those Japanese bikes will never sell"....at least that's the story my Dad always told. I believe it.
    Kind of along the lines of US Automobile manufactures thinking of imports from Japan and Korea. Or even the public buying bottled water. It will never work they said.......and they were wrong!!!

Yet, I guess they were right about it when it came to the Yugo. And of course Isuzu and later Suzuki later pulled out of the US auto market.

And as tough as it has been at times TRIUMPH and Moto Guzzi seem to hold on in small numbers here in the states. I guess that is due to the die hard fans and the inquisitive few who are willing to venture forward.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31512 times
    Well, I think the new Trumphs are decent, but I'd still buy Japanese. The Japanese STILL make the best motorcycles on the planet.

But, motorcycling is headed for history. The industry is hurting. Old bikers are dying off. Few of the younger folks are interested. I'm not sure how long it'll take, but some day soon, motorcycles will simply be something you see in museums. There may be electric bikes/scooters in the cities, but big inch cruisers will be gone along with sportbikes. Electrics could take over the dirt bike scene, too.

Could be a good thing, IMHO, no more loud window rattin' obnoxious packs of Harleys riding through sleepy neighborhoods. It could significantly reduce noise pollution in the cities.

As to the old Trumph, NO, the new Triumph has no connection. Triumph pretty much copied the better Japanese design. The cases split horizontally which helped eliminate a huge source of oil leaks in the vertically split cases. The bikes have a center bearing on the crank, eliminates a lot of crank flex, especially in multi-cylinder bikes like the Trident. The designs of the newer bikes are more modern and eliminate a lot of the problems. The electronics are miles better than Lord Lucas, prince of darkness. No more zener diodes, enough said right there.

I walked in to a Triumph shop in Bryan, Texas in 1971 just checking out the new bikes at the time. Every bike sitting on the showroom had a drip pan under it. Doesn't give you a great bit of confidence in the marque when you see that. I always liked the style of Triumphs, just never wanted one for obvious reasons. It's such design flaws that killed the marque in the face of the Japanese competition. The brand trademark was bought out in the 80s, new motorcycles were designed on modern concepts, and the marque was reborn. It is in NO WAY connected to the Fonz's bike. That bike the Fonz rode was interesting, though. It started out as a twin cylinder, but when it had to jump 10 busses or something, it lost a cylinder. Interesting.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    19429 times
    I had heard that the reason The Fonz road a TRIUMPH was due to his short inseam. Harley was the first choice for production, but Winkler couldn't sit on the seat and tough the ground holding the bike up. So in came the TRIUMPH.

Which make me wonder, had they used a Norton, would we be talking about Norton motorcycles rather than TRIUMPH right now?
    FreeInAZ likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31512 times
    In 1979, I was really wrapped up in the old Bonneville look. I always thought that vertical parallel twin looked cool, but Triumph had died and I didn't wanna find a used one. Ended up buying a Yamaha XS650. Was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned. The bike had a problem, ball and roller bearing crank, low pressure oil system. And, I rode the snot out of it. I was a lot younger and at that point I was road racing every month. I'd get on that old XS and ride it 'til it broke, which it did now and then. It's the only four stroke I've ever actually seized a top end on. That's what told me the problem, not enough oil circulation. Live and learn, bought a used GS750 Suzuki to replace it and lived happy. It didn't have the cool factor (which I admit was all in my head), but by golly that bike could haul butt and it was comfy on the open road, no blurred mirrors and the front wheel didn't jump around off the pavement at idle.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    5442 times
    When I think of Triumph I think of the Bonnie and café racers wearing a brain bucket. Can't say I know too much about them now. I'm also a fan of the Japanese bikes - rock solid, dependable, and hold oil. If you really gotta' have a Harley, buy a Harley. But make sure you have another $10k to buy all the Harley gear and clothing to make you look 'individual.' My current ride is a Kaw Vulcan Nomad - think Heritage Classis but it doesn't leak. Hardbags, windshield, etc. Been all over Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma on it. And I didn't have to make sure there was a dealer in each destination.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2857 times
    Different strokes for different folks...I say buy whatever you like....However i do like the old tried and true go to sayings about Harley
    ....They are slow....Leak oil...vibrate too much...ETC ETC...Mines not slow...Leaks no oil and vibrates less than a Suzuki i once owned.

When we went to Sturgis i had no problem going 75-85 all the way there...I would much rather hear a Harley fly by my house than a Raspy rice
    burner or a low rider import car with a coffee can obnoxious muffler and a stereo so loud you can feel it a mile away.

At the end of the day getting out and riding is what is important....Only you have to like it and you should never apologize for
    what you choose to ride.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2857 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    When I think of Triumph I think of the Bonnie and café racers wearing a brain bucket. Can't say I know too much about them now. I'm also a fan of the Japanese bikes - rock solid, dependable, and hold oil. If you really gotta' have a Harley, buy a Harley. But make sure you have another $10k to buy all the Harley gear and clothing to make you look 'individual.' My current ride is a Kaw Vulcan Nomad - think Heritage Classis but it doesn't leak. Hardbags, windshield, etc. Been all over Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma on it. And I didn't have to make sure there was a dealer in each destination.
    LOL...I must be the luckiest guy on earth...Should i buy a lottery ticket?...Neither of my Harleys have leaked oil and have been all over as well and not one stop
    at a dealership along the way...I think my Scheels shirts in every color and blue jeans make me look as individual as i prefer to be...And i have nowhere near $10K in them...I would have to say in 17 Yrs i have replaced one speed sensor and and general maitenence...(Tires,fluid changes, Brakes)....That is pretty
    darn reliable right there

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links