Best Bourbon just above the bottom shelf? - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Best Bourbon just above the bottom shelf?

Member #
    Liked
    35944 times
    Backstop, this has been a very interesting thread (from a sociological point of view, if nothing else).

I am amazed by the range that people consider "near-bottom-shelf". Personally, I prefer to drink from the second shelf (used to drink top-shelf, but that's gotten so popular that the prices have gotten plain ridiculous. I would be perfectly happy driving a Porsche instead of an Ferrari. Yet I drive a car that cost $23,000 when it was new; I drink PBR, and I wear jeans that cost $8.99 when not on sale.
    It is often only ego that creates up-market products. There are many tests done where people who claim to be able to discriminate fail to do so when they are not given the "clue" of knowing the brand.

I salute the budget products!
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    22786 times
    I don't drink a lot.
    When I do it is always at home relaxing on the porch with my wife and pooches
    or on occasion when I am in here. Mostly because you folks drive me to drink.
    When I drink I buy the best on the shelf.
    It tastes better, it's smoother and it doesn't remove 2 layers of skin in my esophagus going down.
    Drinking for me is a relaxing enjoyment. I won't ruin it by buying Ralph's 175 proof Exotic Rum for $3.95
    for a 5 gallon drum.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    7170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Actually, the bottom shelf stuff that tastes like top shelf is Evan Williams 1783, I can find it around here for under $30 for a half gallon. Now in the $30-$40 range for a fifth, or .750 liter, I like 1792, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and maybe just under $30, Elijah Craig. But I do not drink "mixed" drinks, only straight. The Evan Williams works just fine for mixing, but will still impress those who drink it straight. JMHO.
    It's getting harder to find a barkeep who knows what 'bourbon, neat' means.
    Rickenbacher39 and BackStop like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22786 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 230JHP View Post
    It's getting harder to find a barkeep who knows what 'bourbon, neat' means.
    I am sure for most folks in here it means you didn't spill any when you poured it.
    Remember:
    Life is short.

Member #
    Liked
    35944 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    I am sure for most folks in here it means you didn't spill any when you poured it.
    More importantly, the barkeep doesn't spill any on you.
    TrucksNCoffee and BackStop like this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    11144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    Top Budget Bourbons on googlefu have mostly what is listed, but he mentioned Fitzgerald.
    Says it's in between Wellers and Markers Mark, taste wise.
    All three are wheaters, as opposed to rye. Fitzgerald and Wellers shared the same mash back when the Stitzwell Weller Distillery was still functioning. Wellers has become like unobtainium over the last 5 years. It still has a MSRP under $30, but is being scalped up over a $100 in many places. In any case, it has been well over 3 years since I have even seen a bottle of any Wellers. It is harder to find than Pappy at the moment. Fitzgerald is also a little difficult to find, but not nearly as hard to find as Wellers and its price is still around $30. Makers Mark is the easiest to find and has maintained its price for the main part. Personally, I list Wellers (from memory) and Fitzgerald just above MM, although I really like 46 and the barrel proof MM. The best mid level $30 Bourbon has got to be Elmer T. Lee, but good luck finding any, I have not seen a bottle of that in over 4 years. IMO, the best $30 Bourbon that is commonly available and found in most liquor stores is Elijah Craig and Knob Creek, with the barrel proofs being even better. On the high end I have Bookers as my top easy to find Bourbon. The Old Forester Whiskey Row series are all good and availability comes and goes as they sell out pretty quick. Old Foresters Birthday Bourbon has just about disappeared in Alabama as the company reps reserve all of it for their high end country club customers for the last 3 years here.

Jack Daniels is not Bourbon, but Tennessee Whiskey meaning it is charcoal cold filtered by law. And I don't even think it is even the best Tennessee Whisky in its area, with George Dickel being my pick of Tennessee Whiskies. There is a small distillery north of Nashville that makes Cumberland Cask and their blue bottle is better than the best from GD or JD IMO. I have only found it sold in the Nashville area. Greenbriar is an old distillery that has been rebuilt in its original location just south of Bowling Green, Kentucky in Tennessee, and they are producing quality Tennessee Whiskies and Bourbons, their Belle Meade is pretty good competition for Angels Envy is you like that.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 12-19-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    BackStop likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times
    I don't drink a lot of hard stuff anymore. Really I don't drink a lot of alcoholic beverages at all any more. I do like a few beers when with friends and socializing and I do like a good mixed drink or two during the Holiday Season. I just had a Capt Morgans Rum and Coke which is my favorite during this time of year and it was the first alcoholic beverage I've had since Thanksgiving. To each his own but please be careful this Holiday Season and don't drink and drive.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    11144 times
    LOL, when I got diagnosed with type II diabetes, Doc said I could have one alcoholic drink and one cigar a day. Beer is a waste, it is like eating one potato chip. Wine is OK occasionally, but I really like my Bourbon and my wife makes sure I only get one. Cigars are good for when I feel like sitting around and talking to friends.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    22786 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    . Beer is a waste, it is like eating one potato chip.
    Add the fact it tastes like beer to that...............
    BackStop likes this.
    Remember:
    Life is short.

Member #
    Liked
    10371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    Bourbon? Yuck...
    Where do I report a hacked account?
    BackStop, Texheim, Wino and 1 others like this.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. Josh Billings
    One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. Bob Marley
    To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens. Adolf Hitler
    I like my whisky old and my women young. Errol Flynn

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links