Best Bourbon just above the bottom shelf? - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Best Bourbon just above the bottom shelf?

Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    I recently bought a house and paid cash. I could not have done that if I always had to have top shelf. Not only in Bourbon, but everything. In life one must prioritize and sometimes make sacrifices to achieve a goal. Yes, I know... "but we are talking about Bourbon!!!"... (chuckle)

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    We do not discuss Mitch McConnell in good company here. He is bought and paid for by the old money in our state and I know no one that will admit to voting for him.

I guess my point was that to people that know Bourbon, you cannot ever get "just above bottom shelf." If you want that, just get whiskey. I hear they make some fine ones in TN.

We used to get this one called Kessler's from the bootlegger when we were in High School. We thought it was pretty good until we pilfered a bottle of the good stuff from one dad's stock.

I cannot afford to buy the Bourbon I like very often either. But if I am going to do it, I do it right.

Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    That also reminds me of some of the reviews on the beer snob sites. You know, the ones who prefer wheat or pumpkin beer over Original Michelob Lager, etc.

Try new stuff when you can and especially when it is free. When you like something and can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford it, you still have a goal to shoot at.

Quote Originally Posted by 230JHP View Post
    Went to the review site you posted for the Wild Turkey, which had these sorts comments from the reviewer:

"As a whole the finish transitions quickly from spicy-sweet into woody and bitter."

"Although this bourbon lacks an obvious WOW factor and itís evident youíre paying a premium in commemoration of a milestone of a great man, this is a must have bottle for every Wild Turkey fan. For everyone else, Iíd recommend a pour at a bar."

"Donít expect to be blown away simply by the juice with this one, instead go into it knowing youíre paying a premium for a well-balanced bourbon that pays homage to a great man and you wonít be disappointed. If you donít know who Jimmy Russell is, buy something else."

So I checked the other two:

The review on Coopers' Craft was brutal -- Unfortunately forgettable, this is one tribute bourbon thatís not worth seeking out.

The Blanton single barrel had a great review, however and I will try to locate a bottle, so thanks for the link.

Member #
    Liked
    41754 times
    Bourbon? Yuck...
    BackStop and TheOldRedneck like this.

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7054 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    Bourbon? Yuck...
    Isn't that comment grounds to have your Texas citizenship revoked? Unless you a) like tequila b) have at least one Hispanic ancestor, or c) claim religious grounds?

I think it's written in the Texas code somewhere.
    BackStop and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    I haven't seen that brand...

Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    Bourbon? Yuck...
    230JHP and slong115 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5108 times
    For about $5 more per bottle you could get Rowans Creek.... a very good small batch bourbon....... but to get back into your price range, Evan Williams 1783 should fit the bill nicely!
    BackStop likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    Actually, I tried that one and to be honest, was not impressed. Of course, if you have read this entire thread, you know I am not fan of EW and 1783 is ONLY available in "small" bottles.

There will be 30 to 40 people and although most of them like beer better, I never know how things will turn.

Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by trooperc7 View Post
    For about $5 more per bottle you could get Rowans Creek.... a very good small batch bourbon....... but to get back into your price range, Evan Williams 1783 should fit the bill nicely!

Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I have enough info and am probably going to buy more than one selection. I'll let you know if any of them make a "wave" in the taste buds of my "bottom shelf" friends.

Damn, I hope none of them are reading this forum!
    GhostHorse and TrucksNCoffee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2737 times
    10 High is bottom shelf Ancient Age or Evan Williams is above that(I prefer the green label, less sweet).... Ezra Brooks is another choice.
    BackStop likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    Recently tried Ezra Brooks, not bad, but nothing special. I actually did NOT like the corked open throat bottle. It made metering the pouring much harder. I don't use a jigger, but I am very good at metering the amount by counting with a restricted pour (don't know what to call it) bottle.

I am not familiar with 10 High, but I'm thinking it is one of those that is mostly "neutral grain spirits" with some actual whiskey or bourbon for flavor. That is what I mostly see on the bottom shelf, along with some other cheap "real" whiskey's and "Bourbons". Some "real" Bourbons/Whiskeys mentioned in this thread reside on the bottom shelf... and some that don't, SHOULD! (JD)

Quote Originally Posted by Aberdog1 View Post
    10 High is bottom shelf Ancient Age or Evan Williams is above that(I prefer the green label, less sweet).... Ezra Brooks is another choice.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links