Like Tree13Likes

Thread: WI-FI Light switch

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46621 times

WI-FI Light switch

Anyone install and use one?

Thinking about putting my outside light on a WI-FI switch. Hate coming home to a dark walkway and I also hate leaving the light on wasting electricity. I can install an outdoor light with photocell and motion sensor however it has two flaws. The first being the switch gets turned off and renders it useless. I could eliminate the switch however there are many times I don't want the light on. Second flaw is the way the light is positioned the motion sensor won't activate until I am halfway to the door. Also the neighbors big dog runs the fence line and would constantly trip it turning on the light.

I have no plans on doing a WI-FI controlled house and found a WI-FI light switch that if it is hacked so what they turn my light off and on.

I do have a programmable WI-FI thermostat in my house and have been using it for 6 months now. I have saved an average of $50.00 a month off my electric bill by using it. Money well spent and already re-cooped in savings.
    Last edited by Fishinkeylargo; 11-30-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    3322 times
    I didn't go that route but it's a good option. What I did is install a digital timer that replaces the light switch. You can set them with the daily options you want and even select random which will turn them on/off a few minutes before/after your set time. Now don't worry about turning on or forgetting to turn off in the morning. The best part is, during this time of year, I replace one of the bulbs with an outlet and now plug in christmas lights. No extension cords ran everywhere across driveway only ran to light on that side of garage door. I think it cost $20 or $30 at local hardware store.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33517 times
    I put motion flood lights on the front of my garage, and a motion porch light next to the front door, years ago. Works very well for my needs. I have a high pressure sodium guard light in the back. All of these can be turned off at switches, if so desired. If the lights out front come on, something is out there. Last year it was feral hogs. Even had a donkey and a horse camped out under a tree in front one night a year or two ago.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46621 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ICUKev View Post
    I didn't go that route but it's a good option. What I did is install a digital timer that replaces the light switch. You can set them with the daily options you want and even select random which will turn them on/off a few minutes before/after your set time. Now don't worry about turning on or forgetting to turn off in the morning. The best part is, during this time of year, I replace one of the bulbs with an outlet and now plug in christmas lights. No extension cords ran everywhere across driveway only ran to light on that side of garage door. I think it cost $20 or $30 at local hardware store.
    All of those same features are available with the WI-FI switch via the app. Only potential negative I found so far is you need a neutral wire in the electrical box to connect to the switch. I checked behind my existing switch and I am good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    2224 times
    "Even had a donkey and a horse camped out under a tree in front one night a year or two ago"Ahh the old "Midnight Rendezvous"I wish they would get this site fixed = touble seeing pic's, can't like a post now can't Reply with quote
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31640 times
    I have a Wemo light switch in my bedroom. Works great, you can turn it on and off with Alexa, or you can touch the switch and it will toggle on/off. Setup was pretty easy.

If you worry about somebody hacking into your setup, put a good router in front of your modem and use that as an additional firewall.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    18416 times
    I got this Kuna light/camera on the front door. Connects to wifi and lets me see who's at the door. When my wife was in the Philippines she could even see who was at the door.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_1dlnp5n8ex_e

Obama: AK-47s are for soldiers.
    Arwine: MAK-90s are for civilians.

This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business.
    -Me

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46621 times

WI-FI Light switch

I'm going with the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch. Can get it locally for $19.99 and they will throw in a 2 gang wall cover for free that covers it and a regular switch for the inside light. Works with Alexa and Google what ever. I looked at the Wemo originally however it is running around $50 plus I have to buy a $10 wall plate.

Member #
    Liked
    5129 times
    I went with a cheap $11 motion detector light assembly. I leave it on all the time. It replaced the switch activated front door light.
    It has a 30 foot detection range. Even a cat wandering around will set it off, it doesn't bother me but wandering animals don't like it.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31640 times
    The only other thing I did recently is put a motion sensor light switch in my guest bathroom. The light comes on when somebody steps foot into the bathroom, and will turn itself off 5 minutes after the last movement. It's not hooked up to Alexa but I don't have to keep telling people to turn out the light in that bathroom.
    bigC and Fishinkeylargo like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links