Recalcitrant Son in Law - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Recalcitrant Son in Law

Member #
    Liked
    3436 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Some folks can't learn until what they think can never happen to "them", only others does happen to them.

My Sister in law was a complete anti! Until a crack head tried and nearly did kick in her steel door late one night. She called the local police station (911) 3 blocks away and was told "we don't have any units to send, call back if he gets in..."

Needless to say the next day (Sunday) I helped her shop for a HD shotgun, and taught her how to shoot it. (She's scary good with it).

Moral of the story? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Only it can choose to drink.
    I think he has an "ingoing position" and he simply has not revised his mental scenarios based on his new situation. To give him credit, when a startling situation occurs, his first instinctive action is to step between his wife and the possible danger.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and taurustoter like this.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    35213 times
    As long as he doesn't try and stop her I would say its a non issue.

My wife doesn't like firearms (but she also handles them well) and she doesn't try and tell me I can own or carry them either. Everyone has to make their own choices.

She has more issues with me flying than carrying actually.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    843 times
    My boyfriend HATES guns. He came to the range with me once. I don't push my beliefs on him. He doesn't have a problem with me carrying...but it's not a subject we discuss every day.
    ​~ Different from the OTHER girls!!!!
    #VegasStrong

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16696 times
    I had rifles under my bed as a kid and my parents had pistols locked up. My brother is a libtard gun hater who voted for obama, and I'm the black sheep! Another reason I left commieforniastan 22 years ago.
    Czechbikr and taurustoter like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    I doubt that there is a man alive who couldn't be turned into a firearms enthusiast or at least be made tolerant of firearms by simply introducing him to the recreational/sporting side of firearms.

Take that boy out to the range, insist that he takes a couple shots with a .22LR pistol or rifle, then watch as his whole attitude towards firearms shifts in a more positive or at least passive direction.

Firearms have been painted as instruments of death for so long by the media that many folks are completely unaware of the joyful experience that is plinking.
    I should know, as I only just got into firearms a couple years ago, and for strictly defensive purposes, but as I researched various firearms as candidates for EDC/HD, I discovered plinking thanks to YouTube. Not only do I know have a more positive outlook on firearms, but I have also become interested in them for purposes beyond self-defense.

In fact, now the only negative thoughts I have in regards to firearms is the sadness that comes with lacking the time/money/capability to buy more of them and take them out to the range.
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 10-25-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    taurustoter likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    They need to sort it out for themselves, not liking guns doesn't mean he doesn't allow his wife to own one. Situational awareness and associating with right people will do more for you than a fully loaded Glock. If the success of their relationship boils down to "guns". Well...
    Czechbikr and vegasgirl like this.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37305 times
    With any luck he will never be in a situation that will make him regret his position. Even if he carried, there is no guarantee it would save anyone. If he has studied Krav Maga, he needs to understand that the IDF uses it only as a last resort when they are not armed.
    taurustoter likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWPewPew View Post
    They need to sort it out for themselves, not liking guns doesn't mean he doesn't allow his wife to own one. Situational awareness and associating with right people will do more for you than a fully loaded Glock. If the success of their relationship boils down to "guns". Well...
    BOOM. I've read DOJ statistics on Home Invasion, and assault, etc, and I can't recall the exact specifics off hand. However, to my point, a strikingly higher number of home invasions were committed by a person or persons the victim or victims were at least minimally already associated with/acquainted to.

Careful who you invite into your home. Not suggesting inviting paranoia into your head, like I've done , but this is truth. Also, keeping your head on a swivel, or what I call TA "Tactical Awareness" at ALL TIMES, is critical. I added Tactical to plain old Awareness to make it AWESOME. Now people will surely buy into the idea of situational awareness when it's called Tactical Awareness. My wife tells me I think I'm way funnier than I actually am...

To the OP's original and point: I'm married to a wonderful gal for a few years now with two small children under 3. She doesn't care for guns, but allows me to have my pistol and AR as long as they're kept locked up or not left out for a moment while I'm cleaning them and "have to go do something real quick."

Her family's views on guns are neutral, being from NY, I'm surprised they aren't against.

I can also attest, as a SIL, the less you involve yourself in their marriage, the better. My In-laws are far more helpful than meddlesome, but dammit, when they do my gets lit up. That's hard on the wifey because it puts her in an awful spot of choosing Husband or Her Family, and because of that fact I've learned not to get so heated. If you truly love someone, be it a child or spouse or parent, trust their judgment, and don't put them in that position of "it's me or him, pick."

Thanks all
    Last edited by Smokewagon; 11-07-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Language. See Rule and Guideline 2.
    Puckrobber likes this.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal; It is the Courage to continue, that counts.

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times
    If I were your daughter, I would just go about what I liked doing, whether he joined in or not. My wife and I have been married for years, and she hardly ever shoots with me...really has zero interest, but that sure as hell does not stop me from doing what I enjoy.

Who knows, maybe he will join in some time, just to see what he is missing out on.
    Czechbikr and Car_Doc like this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    23364 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Para_Bellum View Post
    My advice, privately share your views with your daughter, which apparently you have, and STAY OUT OF IT! This is THEIR family business.
    Best advice ever.............................
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links