It can't happen here … yeah, riiiggghhht! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: It can't happen here … yeah, riiiggghhht!

Member #
    Liked
    48158 times
    Most of us went out and didn't return until dusk. Our parents never worried about us and didn't have us tethered to a cell phone. How did we survive?
    Those were the days when, if you got into trouble, you had to stay in the house. Today's parents send you outside as punishment. The poles have reversed, for sure.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    3594 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    Most of us went out and didn't return until dusk. Our parents never worried about us and didn't have us tethered to a cell phone. How did we survive?
    Those were the days when, if you got into trouble, you had to stay in the house. Today's parents send you outside as punishment. The poles have reversed, for sure.
    That's mostly the way it was for me growing up. I can't say my parents never worried about me, just not so much worrying about something happening to me. Like once when they accidentally left me at a highway rest stop, then realized the mistake and had to turn around. My Dad wasn't worried about something doing something bad to me, he was concerned about what I might do before they got back. He told someone once that "Dennis the Menace was based on a real life kind, mine."
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7865 times
    Let me see if I have this straight:

A parent has trained their kids on how to behave in public, and how to ride a bus by themselves, and lets these kids ride the bus by themselves. These kids are self reliant, responsible, respectful to others, and learning life skills. In other words, they are maturing into future adults very well. Now a government agency in Canada decides that this is not the way to raise these kids, and decides that the parent now has to be a 'helicopter parent' and hover over these kids that have proven they can do well for themselves, because this government agency assumes they know best how to raise these kids?

- Did I miss the part where the Canadian government adopted these kids as their own?
    - Am I wrong in letting the PARENT make the decisions on how to raise THEIR kids?

I, as well as other kids my age,were allowed to make our own decisions on many things. That is how one learns what is right and wrong, as well as how to deal with others, and many other important skills in life. It was called reality based parenting in the real world, and reality based learning.

Then again, it is Canada, and British Columbia to boot. "We are with the government and we are here to control your every move".
    Last edited by Desperado; 09-09-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    FreeInAZ and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    You can call it a "impeachment inquiry" or anything else under the sun.
    Personally, there are only two ways to describe what House Democrats are doing:

Sedition, and a coup.

Plain and simple.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7122 times
    For the nanny state today, yes -- the government has adopted every child as its own.

And views every parent as a threat to the child being raised the way it 'should'.

One of the things about the hand-off parenting of days past -- kids understood they were responsible and could face real and immediate bad-choice consequences without a parent running interference and backing up little Freddie's decision to be a jerk.

It was a toughening process. A maturing process. And yes, in some extreme cases, a weeding process.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and darbo like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    19651 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    Perhaps you are a zombie???

Heck, when I was a kid I walked the entire city of Detroit.
    You may be right! Fortunately no one has tried to run a Katana through my head!

I have to tell this story. I'll be as brief as possible.

Grew up in central IL. Parents divorced when I was 4. A couple years later Dad remarried and moved to Phoenix, AZ. He had a brother and SIL living in Flagstaff. During the summer, starting at age 7, my brother was 11, Mom would take us to the train depot, Galesburg is a big train town, put us on the El Capitan or California Zephyer, no adults supervision, for the 2+ day trip to Flagstaff. After a couple weeks in AZ. Dad would take us back to the train depot in Flagstaff and my brother and I would take the journey back to IL. What a great time we had!! I love riding the train!

Another aspect to those journeys. My brother and I were raised to respect adults. Well at the time I think 100% of the porters and waiters on the train were middle aged, or older, black men. Their ethnicity meant nothing, they were adults and we respected them as such. If we got out of hand they would tell us and that was the end of the issue.

I could go on but won't bore you. I'll just add...ahhh a simpler time.

Hopefully this is close to being on topic!
    Last edited by darbo; 09-09-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo

McE
    Member #
    Liked
    4738 times
    I remember some newspaper writer woman caught some flak for 'letting' her kids take the bus in NYC. I don't think she was penalized with anything other than public opinion.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    Religion-- Giving hope to a world torn apart by religion.

Member #
    Liked
    35860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    You may be right! Fortunately no one has tried to run a Katana through my head!

I have to tell this story. I'll be as brief as possible.

Grew up in central IL. Parents divorced when I was 4. A couple years later Dad remarried and moved to Phoenix, AZ. He had a brother and SIL living in Flagstaff. During the summer, starting at age 7, my brother was 11, Mom would take us to the train depot, Galesburg is a big train town, put us on the El Capitan or California Zephyer, no adults supervision, for the 2+ day trip to Flagstaff. After a couple weeks in AZ. Dad would take us back to the train depot in Flagstaff and my brother and I would take the journey back to IL. What a great time we had!! I love riding the train!

Another aspect to those journeys. My brother and I were raised to respect adults. Well at the time I think 100% of the porters and waiters on the train were middle aged, or older, black men. Their ethnicity meant nothing, they were adults and we respected them as such. If we got out of hand they would tell us and that was the end of the issue.

I could go on but won't bore you. I'll just add...ahhh a simpler time.

Hopefully this is close to being on topic!
    Definitely on topic. And a great story.
    darbo likes this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    35860 times
    There's a name for these kids.: Free-range children.

Free-range chickens are supposed to be superior, so why don't people get that free-range children would also be tastier…er, I mean superior.
    darbo and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

McE
    Member #
    Liked
    4738 times
    Even my parents, who watched Unsolved Mysteries as if it was the local news, let me walk/bike the mile or so to elementary school.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and darbo like this.
    Religion-- Giving hope to a world torn apart by religion.

Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    My sister and I walked to the bus stop together in the morning from the age of 5, until she, being 6 years older, went to high school when I was 8. Even at 5 years old, I went home by myself from kindergarten many times, walking from the school to the bus stop and getting on the bus to ride home. When I was 8, I rode my bike to school when I felt like it, spent the lunch hour (We got 90 minutes for lunch back then!) the way I wanted to, sometimes I went home, sometimes I ate in the pitiful lunch room, and sometimes I ate at one of the two restaurants within a short walk from school. After school, I went home, or to a friend's house. As long as I called mom and told her where I was, all was well. And my mother regularly would dream up death scenarios. No mother I knew worried more than my mother did, and even she would say how ridiculous things are now. I'm kind of happy that I don't have any kids/grandkids, this stuff would drive me nuts if I did. I'm not known for keeping my opinions to myself.
    darbo likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links