Bourbon Drinkers, Weigh In!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Bourbon Drinkers, Weigh In!

Member #
    Liked
    10731 times

Cool Bourbon Drinkers, Weigh In!

When I lived in New England I was a scotch drinker. Never very fussy- I actually liked the blends better than the single malts. ("Well, ya weren't much of a Scotch drinker then, were ya laddie?")

Nope, guess not.

Once I ended up below the line, I figured I should switch to Bourbon. (Interesting side light- Bourbon, the favored whisky of The South, must by law be distilled in Kentucky, which is north of the Mason-Dixon line. Hmmm...)

Anyhow, like many of you I have sampled the products I can afford, and have come to some favorites. The small batch Jim Beam stuff is all good. I especially like Knob Creek, but I wouldn't turn down a Booker's. Then a few years ago I had the good fortune of trying Evan Williams, which is found quite a ways down the shelf, price-wise.

Now, if you drink your bourbon neat, you might find EW a tad on the rough side, but if you drink it over ice, as I do, you will find that the flavor holds up well as the ice turns your drink into bourbon and water. It has a fairly deep amber color, not as deep as Jack Daniels, (a Tennessee whiskey, BTW), but noticeably richer than Jim Beam. I won't even begin to suggest that I know anything about the distillation / aging process responsible for the richness. I just know that my one toddy per night which I allow myself is quite enjoyable. (Down to the last drop, as someone used to say...)
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    41800 times
    Holy Crap! EW is my utility bourbon. It's priced right and on the rocks you can hardly tell it apart from Jim Beam. It's not as sweet as other bourbons as I hate sweet bourbon or whiskey.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    41800 times
    Ezra Brooks is also good

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1123 times
    My favorite is also Knob Creek. Wonderful sipp'n.

Member #
    Liked
    22049 times
    I use Evan Williams for cooking and smoking. I'm partial to Maker's Mark, especially Maker's 46. It's just a nice smooth Boulbon with a rich but not too rich flavor.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    5953 times
    Kentucky Gentlemen or Esra Brooks for me. There's lots of good ones out there.
    Last edited by Panda; 02-23-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    I'll give you to the count of three to get off my property...one, two, BANG!

Member #
    Liked
    2830 times
    Wow!!! I guess I better stick to beer.
    coopercdrkey and Yissnakk like this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    2386 times
    (Down to the last drop, as someone used to say...)
    "Good to the last drop"--(circa 1956) --Maxwell House

The problem around here [in the hills, 17mi E of Nashville] , there is homemade stuff in most backyards.....
    Everyone is adamant about 2yr old before any tasting, yet most of it is BETTER than BIB on the shelves.
    We play music all the time, in a big pavilion, all my neighbors (and I) constructed on the front of my property
    in 2005. All the locals are welcome to use it if the clean up, and never had a problem. Sometimes there are
    hundreds of folks there....and everyone brings something, especially mason jars and food.
    Some pour from the jar and use ice, mostly the jar just gets passed, which is 'neat' ...yet not so 'neat', eh?
    Never know what you will get in the next jar........guaranteed to be excellent.

For shelf stuff, which the folks from town bring all the time, the best inexpensive good stuff has to be Evan Williams WHITE LABEL (100 proof)
    Christmas time always sees cases of Evan Williams Egg Nog [KY straight bourbon, blended whiskey, rum, and brandy ] Best in the universe.....
    especially spiked above it's own 30 proof.

If you want a perfect scotch though, and perfect for 'neat'.....try some Lismore [Speyside single malt ], about $20/750ml

Member #
    Liked
    4169 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I use Evan Williams for cooking and smoking. I'm partial to Maker's Mark, especially Maker's 46. It's just a nice smooth Boulbon with a rich but not too rich flavor.
    Bourbon soaked wood for smoking? I must try that. Thanks, Peacemakr 40, my next beef brisket and I will be the beneficiaries of your experience.
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/si...gpic4401_1.gif
    "Humans more important than hardware."

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Kentucky Gentlemen or Esra Brooks for me. There's lots of good ones out there.
    I just bought some Ezra Brooks last week, and was pleasantly surprised. My go to is Jack Daniels normally.

Sent from my Z711 using Tapatalk
    coopercdrkey likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links