What are you.... sheep, wolf, or sheepdog?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Cape Cod, People's Republik of Massachusetts
    Liked
    1 times

An old retired colonel, once said. “Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident.”

This is true. Remember, the murder rate is six per 100,000 per year, and the aggravated assault rate is four per 1,000 per year. What this means is that the vast majority of Americans are not inclined to hurt one another.

Thus there is a paradox, and we must grasp both ends of the situation: We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin’s egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers, and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful.? For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

“Then there are the wolves,” the old war veteran said, “and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

“Then there are sheepdogs,” he went on, “and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep.

If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf.

But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

What are you.. Sheep, Wolf or Sheep Dog?

(from ammoland.com)
    “A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Be not afraid of any man no matter what his size. When danger threatens, Colt (Taurus!) will equalize."

“I don't give people hell, I just tell the truth and they think it's hell”. –President Harry Truman

Member #
    Liked
    6854 times

Re: What are you.... sheep, wolf, or sheepdog?

I am not a sheep, sheepdog, wolf, or any other type of four-legged animal.
    I am a man who has compassion for his fellow human beings; & who believes
    in protecting himself & his family.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry does not create solutions; they create customers!

Live an honest & decent life; & enjoy it. It does have an expiration date!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I am a sheepdog.
    Texas CHL
    NRA, IDPA, DAPS
    PT-145 Pro SST - CCW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

I'm wondering why someone spent time to think of a ridiculous analogy.

Cheers.
    http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/..._signature.png

He who believes a political party is going to save them is already lost. -Me
    Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be. -Me
    Liberals want your money; conservatives want your soul. I'm not giving either. -Me
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. -Unk
    I'm a direct descendant of Augustus Pond: http://www.guncite.com/court/state/8mi150.html

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Read this a long time ago, found it here:

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Lots of interesting reading on this site.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -Tolkien

"Come my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
    Have you your pistols? have you your sharp-edged axes?
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

For we cannot tarry here,
    We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger,
    We the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!" -WW

Member #
    Liked
    187 times

Quote Originally Posted by wyohman
    I'm wondering why someone spent time to think of a ridiculous analogy.

Cheers.
      I'm wondering why someone bothered to waste thier time to even post about what they percieve as a ridiculous analogy. Seems ridiculous to me. And actually it's a fairly astute analogy of human nature IMHO, which btw. It's only YOUR opinion about the analogy being ridiculous. I'm a sheepdog by the way, always have been, always will be.
    "The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI."

"The nine millimeter is for killing europeans, for truely dangerous people you need a .45."
    Col. Jeff Cooper

" George Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

"Life is tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster
    I'm wondering why someone bothered to waste thier time to even post about what they percieve as a ridiculous analogy.
    Because I thought it was silly and almost no effort was involved.

Cheers.
    http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/..._signature.png

He who believes a political party is going to save them is already lost. -Me
    Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be. -Me
    Liberals want your money; conservatives want your soul. I'm not giving either. -Me
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. -Unk
    I'm a direct descendant of Augustus Pond: http://www.guncite.com/court/state/8mi150.html

Member #
    Liked
    187 times

Quote Originally Posted by wyohman
    Because I thought it was silly and almost no effort was involved.

Cheers.
    So effort is what we base the posting of an analogy on? It took effort to remember the comments of the colonel, then the thought process to add his own thoughts on the colonel's words. Not to mention tying it all together into something legible to where most readers would understand it, and finally to type it all down, proof read it, and then click the "Post" button. How much effort do you put into YOUR posts and replies? Just curious.
    "The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI."

"The nine millimeter is for killing europeans, for truely dangerous people you need a .45."
    Col. Jeff Cooper

" George Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

"Life is tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Member #
    Liked
    33300 times

I think they could have added one more analogy to the OP's post. Sheep, Wolf, Sheepdog, and Fisherman. It seems we have a few fishermen among us that just keep trolling their bait in hopes of getting someone to bite!

Play nice...........

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    966 times

Good call BigSkiff. Some posters just seem to want to stir the pot to see if they can get a reaction. Yes Wyoyman I am talking about you.
    War is God's way of teaching American people geography. .... Ambrose Bierce

NRA & Texas State Rifle Association Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links