Home defense question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Home defense question

In addition to my PT145 I have a Mossberg Model 500 12 ga. with interchangeable long and short barrels. I use hollow point rifled slugs (Winchester) for both target and home defense (never had to use it in home defense yet..thank God). The shorter 18" barrel is recommended for inside the home. I use the 24" barrel for target because the 18" packs a huge wallop on recoil. The first few times I shot it without a shoulder pad I came home from the range with bruises. Of course, that was after pumping 30 shells through it!

The Mossberg is pump action and will hold up to 5 shells with a sixth in the chamber. It sells for under $300 and is a lot of gun for the money. I'm sure whatever you settle on will suit your needs. Best of luck. We're all brothers in arms!

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Qwiks draw just about covered it. Ditto what he said.
    Sui Juris
    Member SAF / Life Member NRA
    US Navy Vet. (aviation) '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / HR-218 Certified
    United States Constitution (c) 1791
    All Rights Reserved

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I would suggest some trapshooting with your home defense shotgun along with fixed target shooting. While being accurate is important, the ability to draw a bead on a moving target is also very important in a home defense situation where the perpetrator is not going to be standing stone still.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid_Dog
    I'd say as far as shotgun, go with a short barrel (18") pump action 12 gauge. Many after market add-ons are available like light mounts, etc. A shotgun is a great home defense firearm as your aim doesn't have to be perfect.

I agree with rpddsmith that the .223 /5.56 is a very popular caliber. The Ruger Mini-14 as well as AR type rifles use this caliber. Great varmint gun. May overpenetrate walls for indoor home defense.

If the world goes wacko (you mean it isn't?) you may want a .22lr as well to get some quick and easy squirrel and other small game. Fun and cheap plinking as well.
    Gotta watch them squirrels, here in Denver it has been reported that they have found many squirrels carrying the plague

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca
    I would suggest some trapshooting with your home defense shotgun along with fixed target shooting. While being accurate is important, the ability to draw a bead on a moving target is also very important in a home defense situation where the perpetrator is not going to be standing stone still.
    Yep. I believe it is an absolute must for gun users to train shooting at moving targets with all their guns. Knowing how to anticipate movement and leading into the target can only come through practice, practice, then more practice.

Thanks for all the good input, folks! You have given me excellent information, and I am sure others are benefitting from the answers, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links