Here is my Chirstmas present, my new happy Acoustic Electric Bass Guitar!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Here is my Chirstmas present, my new happy Acoustic Electric Bass Guitar!

Member #
    Liked
    1462 times

Here is my Chirstmas present, my new happy Acoustic Electric Bass Guitar!

My Wife bought this for me as a Christmas present. I have 5 acoustic guitars.. not including my Grandfather's guitar that he played during WWII (I need to post a pic of that.). But I do not have, nor never owned an "acoustic" electric bass guitar. My Wife bought the Acoustic Electric bass, for around $80.00. It's certainly was made overseas.. it "may" be a copy of another brand of guitar.. still looking into that. Sometimes these imported guitars are all banged up \ broken or poorly made, so She had me take a look at it before wrapping it up (which of course.. is now driving me into madness as I want to set it up and play it! LOL )

But, this one is 100% flawless! The finish does not have any scratches on it.. the electronics could be better but not that bad. Without plugging it in, it sounds awesome. I do need to adjust the truss rod and bridge saddle to bring the strings down.. but that's just normal setup.

All the frets are good, and it sounds awesome. The bass is short scale, not long scale. The pick guard is not on it, they have it in the box as it has that sticker backing to it.. so I could put it on.. but I'll probably leave it off. For the price.. I'm glad she rolled the dice and bought it.

Name:  acousticbass.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  14.9 KB
    Last edited by HappyTom; 11-27-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    34165 times
    You can NOT have said ~$80 for that.

And yes, you need to post a picture of that WWII guitar.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1462 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    You can NOT have said ~$80 for that.

And yes, you need to post a picture of that WWII guitar.
    Oh yes Sir.. I "did".. "around $80.00" it may be up to $90.00 again.. the price goes up an down. One of the things that I have found over the years.. is "sometimes" you can get a inexpensive imported acoustic guitars for a really great price. As long as the fretwork and neck is "good" and there is no stress cracks or dings and the bridge is glued down solid. Then a simple setup of the truss rod and saddle.. and maybe some lemon oil on the fretboard.. is all that is needed. Maybe some new strings also.

Other than a Martin Backpacker guitar that I have, and a Ovation, I have one imported generic dreadnought acoustic guitar that I bought for $50.00 that sounds and plays like more expensive models. Now.. other times you may get one that is hacked up... but most retail companies (especially web sites) allow returns.. to me.. I don't care if the product is $80 or $800 dollars, if the product is new.. it should look like "new" and be in playable condition. :-)

That WWII guitar, is not in 100% nominal in condition and I do not play it, but I will get around to posting a pic of it at some point. It's a parlor shape and size. The thing that is amazing to me is the guitar was made between 1891-1906.. and also from my researcher that I di.. it was one of "the first" guitar manufactures in the U.S.A.
    Last edited by HappyTom; 11-27-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTom View Post
    That WWII guitar, is not in 100% nominal in condition and I do not play it, but I will get around to posting a pic of it at some point. It's a parlor shape and size. The thing that is amazing to me is the guitar was made between 1891-1906.. and also from my researcher that I di.. it was one of "the first" guitar manufactures in the U.S.A.
    I have my grandfather's guitar. It's in abysmal shape. I should try to do something about it some day. I'm talking top separated from the sides, wood glue drips down the sides, just awful. But it was my grandfather's.

There really are some amazing deals out there on imports. And I will never be a good enough guitarist to justify an American guitar.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    35676 times
    Looks nice! There are some decent and economically priced/foreign made instruments out there. Face it, guitars are pieces of wood glued and screwed together and it's not a terribly hi-tech or expensive process. Aside from the name, the biggest contributors to the cost of high end instruments are the hardware, electronics and mostly, the finish. Most low-end instruments suffer from poor setup more than anything and that's usually an easy fix. All you need is a good platform to start and minimal knowledge of how it all works. Beyond that, hardware and electronics can always be tweaked or replaced as desired and the end result usually comes out much cheaper than a comparable off-the-shelf guitar. Things aren't how they once were and spending alot of money on a good guitar is now more a matter of choice, than necessity.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    34165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    Looks nice! There are some decent and economically priced/foreign made instruments out there. Face it, guitars are pieces of wood glued and screwed together and it's not a terribly hi-tech or expensive process. Aside from the name, the biggest contributors to the cost of high end instruments are the hardware, electronics and mostly, the finish.
    I've seen PhD physicists work for years on the principles that make one guitar top better than another. Michelangelo's David is just marble with bits chipped away. Doesn't mean everyone can do it. The best guitar player I know told me he tried to make a guitar once. He said he could just as well have put strings on a... well, forum rules, you know.... but he decided it was worthless. And that was an electric.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37457 times
    Nice looking guitar. Too bad you don't live closer, I have a Westbury 1005 bass amp that I would give you (no wheels though). I got it with a set of Simons DS88 electronic drums about 25 years ago and don't have room to set my drums up in this house so it's sitting in the garage, taking up space.

Last edited by CWB; 11-29-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I've seen PhD physicists work for years on the principles that make one guitar top better than another. Michelangelo's David is just marble with bits chipped away. Doesn't mean everyone can do it. The best guitar player I know told me he tried to make a guitar once. He said he could just as well have put strings on a... well, forum rules, you know.... but he decided it was worthless. And that was an electric.
    Sounds like the little autistic kid who could carve the most life-like elephants anyone had ever seen out of bars of soap. Someone ask him how he did it and he said he just took a bar of soap and a knife, and cut off anything that didn't look like an elephant.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    Sweet, I also have a cheap acoustic bass that isn't half bad. New elixer acoustic bass strings and some adjusting and it plays great. Use mine in our church praise group.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Western North Dakota

Member #
    Liked
    24306 times
    I play a fairly decent lap steel but I am world class on the stereo in the front room.

Attachment 229314
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links