Brooklyn Goes Bonkers When Store Plays "Sweet Home Alabama" - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 93
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Brooklyn Goes Bonkers When Store Plays "Sweet Home Alabama"

  1. #81
    Banned
    Member #
    28405
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Occupied Confederacy
    Posts
    5,818
    Liked
    8551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Somebody needs to explain to Mr Marcus what a Hillbilly actually is. The boys in Skynard aren't Hillbillies. They are from Florida and that's pretty much the definition of being a flatlander in this part of the country. Although, they did go to north Alabama to record.

    Seriously, this is the kind of stuff I've ran into for decades from people from New England, New York, and New Jersey.

    Just let them hear a Southern accent and that gets it started. Say you are actually from Alabama, Mississippi or Georgia and they assume your IQ is some where in the comfortable room temperature range- oh, and, of course, you are a card carrying member of a racist group. I keep waiting for somebody with an Italian last name to start it up with me so I can ask which mob family he or she is associated with.
    I'm an Italian last named Florida flat lander redneck that has a drawl. And I'm a Good ol' Rebel.

    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

  2. #82
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    22625
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rust Belt USA
    Posts
    16,572
    Liked
    21113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    How about "Sweet Home Alabama"?

    WoodyUSSLUCE and YOT like this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

    The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

    "No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.




  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1005
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Alabama Foothills
    Posts
    12,813
    Liked
    11220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman351 View Post
    I'm an Italian last named Florida flat lander redneck that has a drawl. And I'm a Good ol' Rebel.

    Written by Rebel veterans well after the War, as they endured 18 years of martial law. Bitter feelings? Yes.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and dudeman351 like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #84
    Senior Member
    Member #
    20118
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,728
    Liked
    7843 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    LOL, you can wear the Yankee title, pretty much like we wear the Southerner, or Rebel title....with pride, or not.

    Of the 5 sets of ancestors that I somewhat know the history of, one set came through Jamestown, Virginia, one set through Charleston, North Carolina, one set through Pensacola, Florida, and the other two were already here.

    If your family has lived in the state of Alabama for more than two generations, and your last name sounds either Irish, Scottish, or Welsh, (or you have ancestors with names like that) the chances of you NOT being part Native American are almost zero, regardless of your skin color.

    At the end of the Revolutionary War, the Brits left behind almost all of their non-English troops to fend for themselves. Most were dumped into Georgia, a former penal colony, and since the locals were somewhat hostile towards them, they spread west all the way to Arkansas, marrying into the Native American tribes along the way. So when Andrew Jackson went to war against the Redsticks, the Creeks, few people think about the fact that their chief's name was McIntosh and he had red hair. Most of that was a land grab by people in Georgia, part of the reason there is so much animosity across the river north and south of Columbus. You see the Creeks had that most valuable of commodities at that time, cleared farmland.
    Oh, they had more than just 'cleared farmland'. Calling it just a land grab is a bit of an understatement. Many had become fully integrated into American society. They were successful businessmen and plantation owners and had intermarried with the white residents to a great extent. the land was important but worth little in monetary value. All of those houses, barns, cleared fields, livestock, .... that's where the cash value was.

    The Trail of Tears isn't just isolated to the Cherokee. Their plight is just the best known. The Creeks suffered in the same manner when they were expelled from their land.

    When we are start discussing the removal of the Five Civilized Tribes of the Southeast, we aren't talking about clearing Neolithic villages set out in the woods or rounding up wandering bands of hunter-gatherers.

    We are talking about removing productive, contributing members of the local society solely based on their race- and the fact that since they were there first they owned most of the land.

    In the Cherokee's case, that was the worst part since there was gold under that land. The 'Miner '49'er' that famously lead the California Gold Rush? If he was an experienced gold miner, chances are that he left the gold fields of GA, SC, TN and NC to go there. There was even a US mint built in Dalonega, GA to mint US coins closer to the source since it's easier to transport coin.

    They didn't get to carry everything (very little in most cases) with them during the Removal and, if they got to sell it off, they got pennies on the dollar for it. Then they were forced to walk or ride most of the way to OK- camping as they could in the elements. Imagine walking from Ft Benning, GA (Ft Mitchell,AL is just south of Phenix City and was one of the main assembly points for the southern Creeks) to Muskogee, OK- in all weather and with everything you own either on your back, in a hand cart, on a horse or in a wagon.

    Let's not forget that the whole removal process was a logistical cluster of the first order, too, on the US government's part. Little to no shelter, little to no food- and what food was provided was poor in quality. Folks died from exposure and malnutrition by the scores.

    And folks wonder why the Southeastern tribes pack a grudge.

    EDIT

    McIntosh was descended from a Scottish trader that had settled in the Creek Nation. If I remember my AL history correctly, he was only half or a quarter Creek by blood but had grown up- except for receiving a formal education- in Creek society.
    Last edited by jtg452; 12-02-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

    Gun Shui adviser

    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

    Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

  6. #85
    Banned
    Member #
    28405
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Occupied Confederacy
    Posts
    5,818
    Liked
    8551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Written by Rebel veterans well after the War, as they endured 18 years of martial law. Bitter feelings? Yes.
    Like I've always said, the united states never has been nor ever will be my country. Its an enemy occupier.

  7. #86
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1005
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Alabama Foothills
    Posts
    12,813
    Liked
    11220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman351 View Post
    Like I've always said, the united states never has been nor ever will be my country. Its an enemy occupier.
    No, let me make myself perfectly clear. I am no Michele Obama who is only proud of this nation when it pleases her.

    I understand what and why my ancestors fought for the South. I understand what is still to a large extent going on in the South. But make no mistake, America is my country, and no other flag, nation or people comes before it. I may talk about it among other citizens, but I will defend it to the death from others.

    The South is an important part of America, and as far as I am concerned, Southerners are the most American of all Americans. We, irregardless of our skin color, are more likely to volunteer, stand, fight and bleed under the American flag than any people in any other part of this nation. My Native American side feels the same, this is our nation now. My father, my uncles, my sons, they have all fought under the American flag, and even before the Civil War we fought under this flag. My sons and I have personally fought and bled, stood beside friends from other parts of this nation in battle and even lost a few of those brothers while under that flag. My family and I have too much invested in that flag to let anyone desecrate or disrespect that flag. And those brothers who fought at my side will always have my support in whatever they face, because there is a special bond that only comes from sharing the sacrifices, hardships and lost, as well as victory, of those who stand beside you in battle. Even those brothers who never returned, immediately come to the forefront of my thoughts when I see that flag. It holds my most sacred memories in its folds.

    No, we have earned our spot under that flag, in this nation, among our people. We have paid the high price that it requires. So make no mistake, this is my flag, right or wrong, in good times or bad, as long as I shall live. I am proud of it, as I know full well the costs it holds, and I will defend it as long as I draw breath. I may not like politicians, or politics, or policies, but that flag is so much more to those who have served under it.

    Tonight on the News, I watched the Veteran protest of the removal of the American flags at Hampshire College. What I saw were combat veterans, across all generations, united in a common love, respect and devotion for that flag, that only comes from first hand experience of the sacrifices that go into the true nature of that flag. It is a battle flag, one that tells the world to have hope the Cavalry is coming, and one that says we are still here, still standing, and ready to fight again. That piece of my heart that will always be Southern believes it is my Rebel Yell that still brings fear to the bravest of our enemies and tells those at my side to believe in my will, that we will prevail, we will overcome, we will win. My armor may be that American flag, but it is the Southerner, the Comanche and the Cherokee, in me that is my very heart, my will and my drive.

    I was reading some Mattisisms (quotes of Mad Dog Mattis) online and in one he talks about fighting the women beating Taliban because they just need killing. I thought to myself, he may be from the state of Washington, but that is a pure Southern thought.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

  8. #87
    Banned
    Member #
    28405
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Occupied Confederacy
    Posts
    5,818
    Liked
    8551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    No, let me make myself perfectly clear. I am no Michele Obama who is only proud of this nation when it pleases her.

    I understand what and why my ancestors fought for the South. I understand what is still to a large extent going on in the South. But make no mistake, America is my country, and no other flag, nation or people comes before it. I may talk about it among other citizens, but I will defend it to the death from others.

    The South is an important part of America, and as far as I am concerned, Southerners are the most American of all Americans. We, irregardless of our skin color, are more likely to volunteer, stand, fight and bleed under the American flag than any people in any other part of this nation. My Native American side feels the same, this is our nation now. My father, my uncles, my sons, they have all fought under the American flag, and even before the Civil War we fought under this flag. My sons and I have personally fought and bled, stood beside friends from other parts of this nation in battle and even lost a few of those brothers while under that flag. My family and I have too much invested in that flag to let anyone desecrate or disrespect that flag. And those brothers who fought at my side will always have my support in whatever they face, because there is a special bond that only comes from sharing the sacrifices, hardships and lost, as well as victory, of those who stand beside you in battle. Even those brothers who never returned, immediately come to the forefront of my thoughts when I see that flag. It holds my most sacred memories in its folds.

    No, we have earned our spot under that flag, in this nation, among our people. We have paid the high price that it requires. So make no mistake, this is my flag, right or wrong, in good times or bad, as long as I shall live. I am proud of it, as I know full well the costs it holds, and I will defend it as long as I draw breath. I may not like politicians, or politics, or policies, but that flag is so much more to those who have served under it.

    Tonight on the News, I watched the Veteran protest of the removal of the American flags at Hampshire College. What I saw were combat veterans, across all generations, united in a common love, respect and devotion for that flag, that only comes from first hand experience of the sacrifices that go into the true nature of that flag. It is a battle flag, one that tells the world to have hope the Cavalry is coming, and one that says we are still here, still standing, and ready to fight again. That piece of my heart that will always be Southern believes it is my Rebel Yell that still brings fear to the bravest of our enemies and tells those at my side to believe in my will, that we will prevail, we will overcome, we will win. My armor may be that American flag, but it is the Southerner, the Comanche and the Cherokee, in me that is my very heart, my will and my drive.

    I was reading some Mattisisms (quotes of Mad Dog Mattis) online and in one he talks about fighting the women beating Taliban because they just need killing. I thought to myself, he may be from the state of Washington, but that is a pure Southern thought.
    You're entitled to your opinion. My avatar is my flag.

  9. #88
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1005
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Alabama Foothills
    Posts
    12,813
    Liked
    11220 times
    It is my flag too. My ancestors fought and bled under that flag. But I, and my family, have also fought and bled under the American flag for a lot longer, and I am not entitled to my opinion, I earned it the hard way. In my opinion, the Confereate flag is a part of the American flag, just like the Republic of Texas flag is a part of the American flag. We are "many into one."
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

  10. #89
    Senior Member
    Member #
    50953
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    At My Computer
    Posts
    16,099
    Liked
    23201 times
    I thought the north/south war was over.
    But then again I live way up in Washington state where we try to not live in the past.
    Well, except for Seattle.
    I have no idea where the heck Seattle is trying to live............
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.






  11. #90
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22105
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    6,566
    Liked
    12309 times
    I doubt I am the only Southern Boy who really doesn't care if the skirts in Brooklyn react to the song. My response to them is simply, "Turn it up."

    As far as my opinion regarding to taking back our nation, "No Sleep Till Brooklyn!"
    "It is when people forget GOD, that tyrants forge their chains." ~ Patrick Henry 1775

 

 
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Sweet Home Alabama
    By JimmyA in forum The Firing Line
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-04-2014, 07:31 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 12:30 PM
  3. Sweet Home Alabama......Russian style?
    By brojohn in forum Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 06:53 PM
  4. Greetings from Sweet Home Alabama
    By Proballr32 in forum Member Introduction - Forum Rules
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Search tags for this page

brooklyn people went nuts sweet home alabama

,

proballr32

Click on a term to search for related topics.