EPIRB questions...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: EPIRB questions...

Member #
    Liked
    6943 times

Question EPIRB questions...

I have EPIRB questions if anyone uses one or is familiar with them. My daughter does a bit of back country hiking and over night camping trips. I would like to get her an EPIRB but I don't know what to buy. Here is the one I'm looking at....

https://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-R...keywords=epirb .

Is this a good unit?

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    6150 times
    A BIG ball of string works well. (sorry) I did not know what you were inquiring about. Now I know.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47651 times
    Seems to have features I would want like Strobe Light and Floats. Check to see how easy it is to turn on, don't want it to easy and turn on accidentally, however you want to be able to easily turn on in a disabled state or with very cold fingers that don't work well.

Is it programmed for the area she will be in (country) or does it need to sent off and additional fee paid for programming? What kind of battery life does it have, both stand by and in use? Those are a few things I would look into.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2130 times
    4.4 out of 5 is a pretty good Amazon score... and I'm sure those people know more about them than I.
    Thanks to all the Trump voters, we may have just started the country's reversal!

Lifetime NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    9455 times
    For some reason, I could not open the link. But here's my opinion. An EPIRB is normally for Marine use, and sends out a beacon when activated in water. As a diver, I sometimes use diver charter services. Occasionally, a diver is missed or gets caught in a current and gets out of range of the boat. I carry a marine version of the one in the link. This one is pretty much a land based beacon. The only problem is that in most cases for the GPS function to work, a clear shot to the sky is required.

ACR 2880 ResQLink PLB Personal Locator Beacon The GPS Store

The above is the land based unit. The one below is the one I carry while diving.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/body-gl...FZA2aQodGbgJCw

Hope this helps a little.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    5162 times
    You might get some insight on technical differences between two different technologies here:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...r-beacons.html

And at the bottomis a link to the REI web site where you can compare the models they have for sale. You can compare those features against the Amazon model to get an estimate of how it stacks up.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    236 times
    For back country use I have a SPOT Tracker. I bought an older model New In Box off Ebay for under $20. I wouldn't suggest using a PLB primarily aimed at the marine market unless she was at sea.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Sponsored Links