Anybody besides me like to eat frogs?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anybody besides me like to eat frogs?

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012
    Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    824 times

Anybody besides me like to eat frogs?

Just curious. In all the posts about favorite foods, I haven't seen anybody else going on about frogs.

When I was growing up in Northeast Texas, we used to go frog gigging on fairly regular basis.

We had bright battery-powered lights that tended to make the frogs freeze in place for a moment. My uncle had a spring-loaded frog gig on the end of about a 10-foot pole.
    The thing had a trigger in the middle and when you jammed againt a frog, the jaws closed and caught the critter.

Usually my uncle or father did the gigging. The first time I got to gig frog was kind of a right of passage.

We put them in a wire mesh fish basket and kept them alive until just before we cooked them... usually the next day.

We took a .22 rifle for the snakes.

These frogs weren't like what you think of when you think of frogs. They were HUGE. I don't know how much they weighed, but it had to have been 2-3 pounds each. From nose to the tips of their toes, they were at least 18 inches long and some were longer than that. They were about four to six inches across the back.

They were green with darker green spots. We called them leopard frogs.

I keep hearing about people eating frog legs, but we ate the whole frog. We killed them by sticking a knife blade into a soft spot on the top of their heads and scrambling their brains. Then we cut off the front of their heads, gutted and skinned them and cut off the feet.

We put them in a milk and egg batter and then rolled them in flour seasoned with salt and black pepper.

We fried them just like chicken or steak.

And, yes, Virginia, they really did kick when they were placed in the frying pan.

Add fried taters, and corn on the cob and beans or okra, or something else good from the garden and you had a feast to rival anything I have ever eaten in a restaurant.

The only down side of the whole experience was that water mocassins liked frogs as much as we did. Some nights it was almost a 1-1 snake to frog ratio.

I have eaten a lot of rattlers but never tried one of those cottonmouthed water mocassins. They smelled too bad and I doubt seriously if they would taste very good.

We have a few more Sutheren country boys on here, so I was wondering if anyone else had the same experiences.

I have been told folks in some places - Missouri was the state I heard mentioned - catch frogs by hand, wading in the creeks and coming up on them from the water side.

That is a little TOO country, even for me.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: Anybody besides me like to eat frogs?

Don't eat the whole thing but I do enjoy fried frog legs.

Member #
    Liked
    824 times

Quote Originally Posted by JasonRKBA
    Don't eat the whole thing but I do enjoy fried frog legs.
    You're throwing away a lot of good meat.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I'm more into eating the warm and fuzzy variety of gods creatures. I had a chance to try them once at a buffet, but the chicken was so good I passed on it.
    Right Meow?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

lol. Would love to try it just never had a chance. I have a good friend in Florida that goes giggen a lot I'll have to ask him about it.

Member #
    Liked
    1041 times

Probably my favorite food, BUTT. Yeah, we ate the whole frog. Usually gigged 'em in the spring, before the weeds got real high around the tank. Easier to see cottonmouths at that time also. For you northerners, "tank" in Texas is a livestock tank. Usually just a dammed up ravine. Think they call 'em "ponds" elsewhere. Used to cook frogs in a cast iron skillet.

Had to be sure an pull nerves out across the back of frog so they wouldn't kick bacon grease outta the skillet. That ain't no yarn, Ya'll. Yum........great times before moving to Colorado 40 years ago.

smit
    Reputation is about what people see you do. Character is about what you do when no one is looking. (by me)

Member #
    Liked
    9257 times

I have had a few frog legs over the years.

Taste like chicken.. :P

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times

I never found any the size you are talking about. Sounds like they are bigger than chickens. I do love to eat fried frog legs though. Haven't been gigging in a long time but it was fun. We also used to gig eels in the creeks at night. That was fun.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    824 times

Quote Originally Posted by airwrench
    I have had a few frog legs over the years.

Taste like chicken.. :P
    I have to disagree. They have a consistency similar to chicken, but the taste is totally different, more like fish.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I love froglegs, never eaten the whole frog.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links