BBQing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBQing

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: BBQing

i'll tell ya the basics for a hamburger that will rock your world.

Jack Daniels Hamburgers

Mix good quality hamburger in with Jack Daniels Original Recipe BBQ Sauce, Onion or onion flakes, worstishire sauce and garlic salt. I use a healthy amount of the sauce and prefer to use dried onion flakes. They seem to give better flavor.

I dont measure anything, but if i were to guess i would say for 5 lbs of hamburger meat I put in 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of sauce, about 4-5 tbs of onion flakes, about 1/2 cup of worstishire and 1-2 tbs of garlic salt.

When I say mix, i mean MIX. Don't just make a sauce and brush it on the burgers. Put it all in a bowl and get your hands dirty. Mix it up WELL. Huge difference in flavor.

For absolute best flavor try smoking the burgers instead of frying. Frying works well but i love a good hickory or even oak smoke. Pecan is good too.

I have folks asking me for the recipe every time i make them. I've even got a vegetarian to eat a whole burger after trying one bite.

Jack Daniels Brisket / pot roast

For a great brisket try the same mix above, but add 1 liter (1/2 a bottle) regular old coca-cola (not diet or Zero, you want the sugar for carmelization). Throw in a big roaster with 1/4ed potatoes, carrots and mushrooms and slow cook on 250 degrees until it falls apart to the fork. I've had great results with oven bags too.

If you want to smoke the brisket use the mix above including the coke and inject it liberally all around the brisket several times during cooking. You should be able to get an injector for marinades in any decent grocery store. They're cheap and much more effective than standard submersion marinades.

Generic coke works well too, just make sure it's got sugar in it. I've never liked the results of diet coke. Remember, the ingredients in coke can dissolve a nail and clean deposits off your car battery, so they do wonders for tenderizing your dinner.

Feel free to toss in some red pepper into either of the above recipes for a little BAM!

Now my thanksgiving turkey and stuffing recipe... you'd have to be well armed to get that out of me

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well, I'm from TX and partial to the beef BBQ, but I do some pork and chicken too. I'm having about 70 people over this weekend for a Q and doing brisket.

Get a full brisket, trim the majority of the fat off the fat side, leave about 1/4" layer of fat on it.

Rub:

Black Pepper
    Brisket Rub
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Roasted Pepper mix (I get it at Sam's)
    Kosher salt
    a little brown sugar

Rub it up good, wrap in saran for at least 24 hrs.

I cook them on a New Braunfels smoker (the old TX offset kind) for approx 12 hrs @ approx 200-250, mop it every hour. Fat side up is a must!!

Mop:

2 cans of Jumex peach nectar
    Apple Cider vinegar
    crushed garlic (boatloads)
    a couple tablespoons of rub
    simmer for an hour or so and then cool before using as mop.

I get the brisket very cold in the freezer prior to putting it on the smoker, supposedly that helps it get a bigger smoke ring on it, but who knows. Fuel is mostly charcoal with some wet wood mixed in for flavor, I'm partial to fruitwood and live in peach country so that's what I use mostly.

Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by gjk5
    Well, I'm from TX and partial to the beef BBQ, but I do some pork and chicken too. I'm having about 70 people over this weekend for a Q and doing brisket.

Get a full brisket, trim the majority of the fat off the fat side, leave about 1/4" layer of fat on it.

Rub:

Black Pepper
    Brisket Rub
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Roasted Pepper mix (I get it at Sam's)
    Kosher salt
    a little brown sugar

Rub it up good, wrap in saran for at least 24 hrs.

I cook them on a New Braunfels smoker (the old TX offset kind) for approx 12 hrs @ approx 200-250, mop it every hour. Fat side up is a must!!

Mop:

2 cans of Jumex peach nectar
    Apple Cider vinegar
    crushed garlic (boatloads)
    a couple tablespoons of rub
    simmer for an hour or so and then cool before using as mop.

I get the brisket very cold in the freezer prior to putting it on the smoker, supposedly that helps it get a bigger smoke ring on it, but who knows. Fuel is mostly charcoal with some wet wood mixed in for flavor, I'm partial to fruitwood and live in peach country so that's what I use mostly.

Good luck!
    i never thought about peach nectar..... that sounds great. I might try that.

A good smoking trick is also putting herbs and flavor agents in the fire. I usually put a sweet yellow noonday type onion in the fire. Garlic also works well too.

I'm wondering how many folks are going to read your description and ask, "what's a mop?"

oh, injecting beer or wine is great too. You could also inject JD or JB or something like that but I would rate that as alcohol abuse.

ok, who's posting the recipe for beer biscuits? You can't have brisket without beer bisquits.

beer can butt chicken?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by LedJedi
    i never thought about peach nectar..... that sounds great. I might try that. works great!

A good smoking trick is also putting herbs and flavor agents in the fire. I usually put a sweet yellow noonday type onion in the fire. Garlic also works well too. yep, I like th onions myself

I'm wondering how many folks are going to read your description and ask, "what's a mop?"yeah, I wondered about that

oh, injecting beer or wine is great too. You could also inject JD or JB or something like that but I would rate that as alcohol abuse.serious offense at that!

ok, who's posting the recipe for beer biscuits? You can't have brisket without beer bisquits.

beer can butt chicken?

I'll be doing some can in the butt chickens to go with the brisket too.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

YOU CALL THAT BBQING??????

NOT ONE MENTION OF A BBQ GUN!!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    6854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    YOU CALL THAT BBQING??????

NOT ONE MENTION OF A BBQ GUN!!!!!!
    Okay Chef, perhaps I've led a very sheltered life. And taking into
    consideration that I'm originally from Brooklyn New York, & being somewhat
    new to the ribs bbq scene, & not wanting to come off as the village idiot,
    I have to ask: what the bloody heck is a bbq gun!?!?
    The Pharmaceutical Industry does not create solutions; they create customers!

Live an honest & decent life; & enjoy it. It does have an expiration date!

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31456 times

I smoke a lot of venison sausage, do chicken, fajitas, other beef. But, wild hog really does well on the BBQ. I need to kill another one.

My bbq gun. It has collected the occasional hog for the pit, too, but the real worth of the bbq gun is, it has to be flashy, showy, ostentatious, braggadocios. Gotta wear your finest to a bbq. It's not so much food as an event, ya know.

Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links