Anybody have metal roof experience?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anybody have metal roof experience?

Member #
    Liked
    5033 times

Anybody have metal roof experience?

Trying to decide the difference between furring strips. 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, pressure treated, not treated, felt between shingles and furring strips, foam insulation or this new radiant double air insulation?

Any advice/experience good or bad would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, budget definitely important.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47537 times
    Are you planning on covering up the shingles with a metal roof? They put a lot of metal roofs on down here in the Keys and they always strip the shingles off before putting on the metal.
    TheOldRedneck likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    5033 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Are you planning on covering up the shingles with a metal roof? They put a lot of metal roofs on down here in the Keys and they always strip the shingles off before putting on the metal.
    Yes, Florida building code allows you to cover 2 layers of singles and that leaves an extra layer of protection. Plus I'm doing this by myself so pulling old roof would take me forever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47537 times
    My first thought would be furring strips would create a place for strong winds to get under it. Keep us posted on what you do as at some point I will have to do the same.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11057 times
    I have seen 1x4's used almost exclusively as purlins, (what you refer to as furring strips.) And never pressure treated! (Some sort of chemical interaction.)

If roofing over bare decking a layer of felt is definitely called for. Probably not as necessary over shingles, but your call.

I don't see the need for insulation myself.

My present metal roof was installed over an existing metal roof! No problems.

The biggest controversy seems to be the screw pattern. Some only screw on the crimps and never on the flat while others fasten on both. Not sure what the answer is- it may just be fodder for barroom discussions...

(edit)- You definitely need to instal with purlins. Air circulation is absolutely necessary and if well secured will not pose a wind problem. Sometimes, depending on the direction of wind-driven rain and the shallow pitch, a barrier strip between the roofing and the ridge cap will prevent water from being driven up the roof slope.
    Last edited by coopercdrkey; 09-07-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "It's the Change Orders that make you money, but it's the Punch Lists that cost ya..." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    Yea my first name is Marlin
    EAA Windicater 2inch .357
    Taurus M605 38/357
    Sif P290 .9mm
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    Marlin 60n .22lr
    Tristar .20 gauge semi-auto
    CVA Wolf 209 Magnum .50 Black Powder
    NRA Member

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    5033 times
    Information overload!!!!

Thanks for that one.

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times
    Be sure to install a weather barrier around the perimeter of the entire roof. I ran 2 plys of the 24" with the top ply 6" set back from the first layer. This will keep out any water that blows under the metal.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Check the installation guidelines suggested by the manufacturer of the metal roofing. When placing metal roofing on top of existing shingles, some manufacturers require wood strips on top of the shingles and some manufacturers require 1/4" of insulation over the shingles and the metal applied on top of the insulation.

Many homes in my rural area now have metal roofs. One company uses wood stripping as required by the manufacturer and the other company does not in accordance with their metal manufacturer.

Many of these roofs were done several years ago and they still look practically new. I have not heard any complaints from those who have had a metal roof installed. Mine is 8 years old and I have had no issues. They are, however, very slippery to walk on compared to shingles (use caution)
    "We must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
    (Ben Franklin 1776)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had an experience in using metal roof on my house. I do not know how it is complicated as I paid an agency and their exprts installe deverything and I've just paid. The only thing I know they also installed snow guards for roofs. They suggested me to do this as there is alwasys a lot of snow during winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links