Disillusioned by the Corruption in this Country
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Disillusioned by the Corruption in this Country

Member #
    Liked
    48165 times

Disillusioned by the Corruption in this Country

It seems as though it's everywhere. When and where did we lose our moral compass?
    I watched a couple of documentaries today and I find I'm overwhelmed with anger. The first documentary I watched was "The Big Short" on NetFlix. It's about shorting the mortgage divisions of the banking industry. I won't get into the meat and potatoes of it, but you need to watch it.
    At the very end, these guys figure out the government knew all about it and that every day Americans would pay for this travesty.

One guy said: "The politicians are corrupt, the banking industry is corrupt. Jeez, even baseball is corrupt"

The other documentary I watched was ESPN's 30 for 30 "Fantastic Lies", also on NetFlix. It's about the Duke LaCrosse players. These kids were absolutely railroaded because several different groups had an agenda.
    ESPN to air '30 for 30' on Duke lacrosse case March 13 | The Chronicle

This one, coupled with the first one has me so upset, I won't be able to sleep tonight.

If you have NetFlix, I suggest you watch them. Just not back to back
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    739 times
    We lost our morals when Bill Clinton looked into the face of America and said " I did not have sex with that woman".
    If the POTUS can lie and cheat why can't the rest of us?

Member #
    Liked
    5355 times
    I think corruption has always been a part of politics but due to media saturation, we get
    more information that just the tip of the iceberg so to speak these days. I am watching
    the CNN miniseries The Seventies and some of the shenanigans of the Nixon administration
    certainly would qualify as corrupt. You can go back even further into other periods and find
    similar behavior by elected officials. Like the old saying goes "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33002 times
    It took me several days to start to get over the FBI director's betrayal. And then there's Tom Brady...

In short (for a change) I feel your pain.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and powrguy like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    4845 times
    Stop, please. You can't blame politicians for the way people act. The Big Short is a Hollywood movie, not a documentary. As such it isn't necessarily historically accurate. Here's a reference if you are interested:

7 Movies That Tell The Real Story Behind the Financial Crisis - Fortune

Be sure to have your objective viewer glasses on, some of these are rated "Liberal".

The end result is that The Great Recession started in 2007, during the tenure of Bush the Second. The bailouts started in 2008, same pres. But I will go to my grave with the belief that Tim Geithner should be locked up with all his Wall Street cronies. Not because he did anything to cause it, he obstructed the prosecution of the guilty bastards who did. To his credit, Bush the Second started the bailouts that Obama continued. Without them our economy would still be in the toilet. Popular or not, they are the reason we are enjoying what prosperity we have today.

"Fantastic Lies" is a tragedy on a whole 'nother level. A young woman's lies, taken as gospel, destroyed several young men's lives. ESPN's 30 for 30 and 60 for 60 documentaries have the quality I wished other networks had.

So far as morals, you have to take responsibility and accountability for your own actions. Bill Clinton is the reason police are being shot at alarming numbers? Give me a break. Morons with guns is the reason police are being shot. Bill Clinton is the reason for unwed mothers? For a coarse joke, sure. In reality, nope.

My opinion? People behave that way because they have no moral compass. A belief system that tells them right from wrong, Christian or otherwise. And adhering to that system in their daily lives. That's what scares people about Muslims, that they live their religion.

People make their choices. They have to take responsibility for them.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    7964 times
    Watched 'em both. Good stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    3433 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfarmer View Post
    I think corruption has always been a part of politics but due to media saturation, we get
    more information that just the tip of the iceberg so to speak these days. I am watching
    the CNN miniseries The Seventies and some of the shenanigans of the Nixon administration
    certainly would qualify as corrupt. You can go back even further into other periods and find
    similar behavior by elected officials. Like the old saying goes "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".
    Oh, hecks, yes. Go back to Teapot Dome in 1920 or the Tammany Hall shenanigans for over a hundred years of NYC politics.
    ncfarmer likes this.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    380 times
    Nothing has really changed, it's just that it all gets out now. A lot of stuff was locally reported, and would either barely make the national press, or just stay local. and unless it was HUGE, it would sputter out in a week or so. Now, it gets repeated endlessly, on TV, and on the net. Cameras catch all kinds of stuff that was covered up before, good and bad. People really haven't changed all that much, and IMHO, they never really will.
    Mutt, lwb92af and rhuber like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    So far as morals, you have to take responsibility and accountability for your own actions.

My opinion? People behave that way because they have no moral compass. A belief system that tells them right from wrong, Christian or otherwise. And adhering to that system in their daily lives.

People make their choices. They have to take responsibility for them.

100% true.

i agree with your post in its entirety, but these are the key points that make it IMHO.

As as a society, we are being told how we should think not by the government, but by so-called advocacy groups. Then they slap pressure on the government, which in turn starts making laws and the next thing you know, freedom of speech or expression only applies within certain laws... It's a joke.

But it all starts because someone doesn't want to be responsible for something they have done, or how they feel about something. Instead of standing up and saying "Yup, I did it!", they want to blame their actions on something or someone else, then they get a group to agree with them, then they throw a fit (demonstrate), and the next thing you know, the thing that caused them to act stupid in the first place is banned.

the government IS at fault, but only because it listens to those that don't want to take responsibility for their actions.
    powrguy and lwb92af like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8736 times
    I believe that the loss of morality was in a big part caused by the welfare system. When you pay people for immoral behavior you get more of it. examples more kids out of wedlock +more money. Disability because of drug use. Also the celebration of thugs that penetrates society especially in music and sports
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links