Got out fishin again - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Got out fishin again

Member #
    Liked
    20281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfarmer View Post
    It looks like y'all had a good time! Carp will give you a good fight on any tackle. By the way,
    I love that rod holder in the first picture. Did you make that or where did you buy it?
    It is composed of a bank stick, a buzz bar and bite alarms.

Name:  2960-_vyr_1265vidlicka-deluxw.jpg_1.png
Views: 97
Size:  112.7 KB
    Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 36
Size:  2.3 KB
    Name:  fox_micron_m_plus_bite_alarm.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  35.3 KB

Member #
    Liked
    20281 times
    Bite alarms are devices that emit an audible signal when the fish gets hooked and starts running off. You use reels that have whats called a baitrunner. Turn it on and then when something pulls on the line the spool turns in reverse and lets line out at a controlled pace with the bail closed. You set the rod in the bite alarm with the line laying across a wheel in the bite alarm. When the fish starts pulling line out the wheel spins and sets the audible signal off.

Member #
    Liked
    20281 times

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ikes380 View Post
    What do you do with those carp? Around here they bake them on a board and when they are done they throw the carp away and eat the board. ;o}
    Sometimes if i catch real small ones i keep one or two to use as cut bait for catfish but 99% of the time its is pure catch, photo, release.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46820 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ikes380 View Post
    What do you do with those carp? Around here they bake them on a board and when they are done they throw the carp away and eat the board. ;o}
    When I was a teen I got paid 20¢ a pound by the lake owners to remove them and 50¢ a pound from the people lining up to buy them when I got home. Never did eat one, they were worth more to me to sell.
    darbo likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    20281 times
    They are generally beneficial to the ecosystems they inhabit if the lake is large enough and the population level in the lake is such that they aren't taking everthing over. They eat weeds, zebra/quagga musssels, crayfish and other things that could become a problem if the numbers aren't kept in check. However in smaller ponds they can become an issue. I am normally not a fan of bow fishing but in that instance if the owner of the pond sets some limits it can be a valuable tool in bringing things under control.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46820 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 91 whiskey View Post
    They are generally beneficial to the ecosystems they inhabit if the lake is large enough and rh population level in the lake is such that they arent taking everthing over. They eat weeds, zebra/quagga musssels, crayfish and other things that could become a problem if the numbers aren't kept in check. However in smaller ponds they can become an issue. I am normally not a fan of bow fishing but in that instance if the owner of the pond sets some limits it can be a valuabke tool in bringing things under ckntrol.
    Many small lakes and one notably large lake in NE Ohio had serious problems with being overrun with carp in the mid 80's.

Spencer Lake was drained to remove the carp population, they overran the lake and were way out of control. Some where I think I have some pictures of the lake when in was almost completely empty. The remaining school of carp was easily the size of a football field stacked tight together trying to fight for the last of the oxygenated water. Talk about a smell when all those fish died. It really was an incredible sight.

Most of the small lakes I fished were a 1/4 acre at most, when the blue gill population was being depleted you knew you had a problem. The carp were sucking up the eggs with everything else as fast as they could.

The original land acquisitions were made in 1956, but it was not until 1961 that the dike and dam structures were completed and 60 acres were flooded.

This lake is unusual in that it is constructed on a “saddle,” or watershed divide, and has a dam structure on both ends of the lake. A severe storm in July 1969 washed out the north dam. The dam was rebuilt in 1970 and the lake was enlarged to 78 acres.

A complete drawdown of Spencer Lake was implemented in 1985 to facilitate a fishery rehabilitation project. Three locations along the causeway were recontoured and deepened to 12 feet, thereby providing improved depths and better shore fishing opportunities. The lake was refilled and stocked with largemouth bass, bluegills, and channel catfish and reopened to fishing in 1986.

Present management of the wildlife area includes establishment of grass-legume meadows and annual food patches, maintenance of open areas, and native brushy fencerows to improve conditions for upland game.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times
    I haven't fished for them in 40 years but I did take up Bow Fishing for a few years. Big Carp and Gar + Good Bow Fishing Equipment is a Hoot. I tried it with Flounder a couple of times but it is really hard for me to judge depth and distance especially at night.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    20281 times
    My main issue with bow fishing is that i don't think it's as challenging as hook and line methods. That and there have been times when I've gone to a fishing spot and seen upwards of 100 dead fish floating on the water with obvious arrow holes in them.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46820 times

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links