The Wolf who had sheep (and goats, pigs, dogs, chickens, cats, etc.)
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: The Wolf who had sheep (and goats, pigs, dogs, chickens, cats, etc.)

Member #
    Liked
    17644 times

The Wolf who had sheep (and goats, pigs, dogs, chickens, cats, etc.)

Figured I'd start just a generic thread that I can dig up and add to instead of creating new threads every time something changes around here.

As I mentioned in a different thread today, the ewe I figured wasn't pregnant because lambing season is long over with surprised me on Sunday with a new little ewe lamb. Of course she had to be born out in the pasture on a cold, crappy, day in the middle of a downpour. Put her and her mother in a separate pen filled with hay to warm up and dry off.

She's now full of P&V and has already commenced to showing me where the weak spot was in my pen (floor is uneven gravel), so she's earned the apt name 'Dini, which is short for Houdini. Stinker wasn't even 4 hours old and she'd already managed to sneak under the pen rails to get back in the general sheep flock and get outside. So at that point I've got one stuck in a pen on the inside of the barn while the other is laying against the outside wall. Of course Mama's having a fit as they're calling back and forth to each other like they're playing some demented version of Marco Polo. She's now been vaccinated and I've banded her tail to dock it to a safe length.

While I'm thinking about 'Dini, I whould take a second to mention that Reno (the little ram lamb born a few weeks ago) is growing like a weed. Horns are already a good 3 inches long and he's looking like he could turn out to be a prime example of a Jacob Sheep ram.

Then I spent a couple hours cleaning all the sheep stuff (poo) out of the chicken coop where I'd had them housed until the weather got nicer to prepare for the chickens going out there. While I was at it I built a nesting shelf and completely bleached and then limed the floors to kill off any organisms that may still be out there. So, in a week or so, if it ever warms back up (we've been hitting 38 overnight lately), I'll have 60 Buff Orpington chicks running around the coop/run.

Also got my birthday gift from my ma and step-dad this last week, my first breeding Alpine goat doe (Emily). I'll be picking two more up on Friday (hopefully!) and that should round my Alpine goat herd up to 8. The three Saanan goats are going to be freezer meat as soon as they mature enough. Can't honestly say I'll be sorry to see them go, I've never dealt with a stupider animal than the Saanan. Constantly getting their heads stuck in the fences...usually seconds after you just got 'em freed up. At least the Alpines know "Hey, that didn't work so well last time, let's not do that again!"

Last, but certainly not least, the pigs are in. I don't have a picture of the gilts yet, but, I do have a picture of the boar. He's a touch over 6 months and is hitting his stride at 280lbs. The gilts are almost 8 months and weigh in at roughly 270lbs each. They've already been introduced and were busy makin' bacon within a few hours of meeting each other so hopefully in a little under 4 months we'll have lots of piglets running around the barn/pasture and this farm can start making me some money instead of making my bank account go into a terminal meltdown

And now, for the obligatory pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Member #
    Liked
    9194 times
    Wow! 60 Buff O's! I think I have finally convinced TH to let me have a couple, but I do mean a limited few. Like maybe four to start out with. Love hearing about the adventures up in Wolf-land.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    ~George Washington

Taurus M85 .38 Special
    Taurus PT-22PLY
    Taurus 738 TCP
    Bersa Thunder Combat .380

Member #
    Liked
    7380 times
    WOW , things are sure looking up and good for you now ! Makes me kinda jealous tho . I can't raise any of those living in the city .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHouse View Post
    Wow! 60 Buff O's! I think I have finally convinced TH to let me have a couple, but I do mean a limited few. Like maybe four to start out with. Love hearing about the adventures up in Wolf-land.
    LoL yeah, 60. I'd originally ordered 40 Black Langshans, but I missed the hatching season for 'em so I settled on the Buffs...which were quite a bit less expensive so I ended up with 20 extra birds and a $30 refund...I call that a win-win. They're another good dual purpose heritage breed bird, large eggs and the roosters will get to around 12lbs each. I also figured that since I bought a straight run I'll have a better chance of having enough hens and we'll eat the extra roosters this fall.

I could probably bring you a few birds...and a kitten! How 'bout a kitten or three? That little cat I rescued a couple weeks ago had a litter, cute little chits...but I don't need 4 more barn cats. By the time the Johnson Creek shootout hits they should be old enough to ship
    Sekol, Texheim, Elwood717 and 2 others like this.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

Member #
    Liked
    15445 times
    You definitely have your hands full but it will be well worth it. Congrats wolf. Keep up the meat train!
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    I don't always open carry, but when I do I prefer DeSantis.

Member #
    Liked
    7408 times
    Quite the menagerie you got there.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    Make a fast friend, adopt a Greyhound!

"Oh man. What kind of lefty hootenanny is this?" Dale Gribble.

One set of rules for the governed, another set of rules for the governing.

Signs Don't Stop Crimes.

Member #
    Liked
    18725 times
    Keep the stories and pics coming, Wolf. I grew up in the country, and I sure do miss it.
    Wolf1477 and silverblackman like this.

Member #
    Liked
    41576 times

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    LoL yeah, 60. I'd originally ordered 40 Black Langshans, but I missed the hatching season for 'em so I settled on the Buffs...which were quite a bit less expensive so I ended up with 20 extra birds and a $30 refund...I call that a win-win. They're another good dual purpose heritage breed bird, large eggs and the roosters will get to around 12lbs each. I also figured that since I bought a straight run I'll have a better chance of having enough hens and we'll eat the extra roosters this fall.

I could probably bring you a few birds...and a kitten! How 'bout a kitten or three? That little cat I rescued a couple weeks ago had a litter, cute little chits...but I don't need 4 more barn cats. By the time the Johnson Creek shootout hits they should be old enough to ship

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    22629 times
    LOVE to read your stories, Wolf! So glad that it's you and not me again! DH and I also had quite a menagerie during our younger years. Bet your kids are enjoying it - or are they the kind that just look and you and think that their dad is a little nutty?

Now the Alpine named Emily - this is weird karma or something - we had an Alpine do and buck named Emily and John that we got from friends, who named them after yours truly (me and DH!!). The buck was a sweetie - but the doe would ram me and knock me down almost every single time I walked out into the pasture - even when I carried "goat protection" - a great big stick! Emily would sneak up behind me from gosh knows where and POW!! Guess my rear end made a really good target, and she got to know that she could "get my goat!"
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    17644 times
    LoL Sekol. The kids are having a blast with this. I've corrupted them at an early age. They like doing the work and they like knowing where their food comes from.

That's a great story about your goat. My Emily is pretty well convinced she's a dog, let her out of the pen and she follows you around and won't leave my sight.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links