Taurus vs S&W
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus vs S&W

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus vs S&W

Anybody have some evidence that our Taurus pistols are as, good/or not as a S&W? I'm thinkin' Taurus are better because we are not paying for the name of S&W, so ours cost less, and are the better deal. Whadda ya say?
    Chance favors the prepared mind! If you're in a fair fight your tactics suck!
    NRA Lifer - Army Combat Vet. - VFW -
    Small Arms Instructor - Hobby Gunsmith - Patriot

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Taurus vs S&W

i have been extremely happy with the handling and performance of my PT140. i think it is an exceptional CCW. since my wife shot it at the range a while back, she has claimed it as her CCW. i must now either get a second PT140 or get something different. i have recently shot a s&w m&p .40c at a dealer show and am very impressed with it. it is slightly larger than the PT140 but should be a good fit for CCW as well. i can get a stainless PT140 here for $320 (price went up $10 in the last 3 months). i can get the m&p with night sights and 3 mags for $450. i'm not sure i like the m&p that much better for $130, but i also do not like having multiple exact same guns. delimmas and decisions!

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

I have owned and loved Taurus pistols since they first hit the market back in the 80's. I have never personally known anyone that had any trouble with a Taurus pistol and I have know alot of people around the world that own them. I own alot of other brands of firearms, but I always find myself reaching for my Taurus pistols over any others... basically, most all modern firearms are good, with the occasional lemon. If a gunmaker made nothing but lemons, they would not be in business very long.

PT92 old model
    PT92 decocker
    PT99 decocker
    PT1911 45cal
    PT1911 45cal AR
    2x PT1911 45cal SS
    PT1911 45cal DUOTONE
    2x PT1911 9mm (one blued and one SS)
    PT24/7 45cal DAO
    PT24/7 PRO LS 45cal
    2x 24/7 OSS SS 45cal/9mm
    2x PT24/7 9mm standard and 9mm compact
    PT145
    PT745 PRO 45
    PT911
    PT908
    PT945 Factory Ported
    TAURUS 709 SS
    JUDGE Public Defender Polymer SS
    JUDGE Magnum 3"
    TAURUS 738 TCP 380
    TAURUS 738 TCP 380 SS/Rasberry (For the Wife.... Seriously)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well, a gun shop owners' son told me Taurus can't compare with S&W. Said he sends way more Taurus back than Smith's. I've never seen a broken Taurus, or Smith for that matter.I like my Taurus guns fine, and can't find much difference when compared with other pistols. I bet he gets more profit from the Smiths?!?!?? Just was wondering what some others thought. Thanks guys!

Member #
    Liked
    8583 times

608racer. Staff and members here have posted any number of times (even at TFL and THR forums) that the Taurus revolvers we have have given excellent service and are going strong still. Most seem to be service barrel length or the snubbies. Some of these revolvers have been around and in use for a decade or two. Some even longer than that. Throw in the Rossi owners that have had that experience as well. The Tracker or Raging Bull crowd can also give these claims of dureability and service.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

yupper!! LOVE my 608 Never had a problem. Thanks for the replies! Don't have a Rossi yet - but that may change soon :

Member #
    Liked
    8583 times

And here I was about to give you a whole long litany of models that owners here have found to do well and you go and post that!!!! Stop stealing my thunder. You can have the lightning.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have owned both S&W and Taurus revolvers. I really like my Taurus 85UL although I believe the S&W's are superior revolvers. I have never owned a S&W auto but like my MilPro a ton.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

I think Smith revolvers used to be much nicer than the current crop of either Taurus or Smith. I'd pick the Taurus as I feel its a better deal and will work just as well. And I'm not a fan of paying for a "name".

As far as the auto's, Smith has a much larger selection but that doesn't mean that they are any better, it just means that its more difficult to fine the exact one you want. And I'm not a fan of magazine disconnects which most Smith autos have. I don't have much time with Taurus auto's but whenever I'm in the market again I'll be taking a real serious look at the Taurus line at the time.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31210 times

The new lockwork much improved the trigger on the medium frame revolvers. The quality, fit, and finish has continually improved over the years and took a HUGE leap IMHO in the early 90s when the new transfer bar lockwork came. Today, I think Taurus compares equally in quality to Smith and Wesson and Smith and Wesson has steadily declined since the 60s IMHO. Late 70s was a low point for Smith and Wesson. Taurus's reputation for customer service seems tainted (never had to deal with 'em, personally) compared to Smith and Wesson, but they offer a lifetime no nonsense warranty on their products and I know the newer ones I own are as good or better than anything Smith. I own a M10 and had a M19 for a while in the early 80s, also had a Ruger Security Six which is lauded by some. I can say, my 4" Taurus M66 is a MUCH better shooter than those guns and its DA and SA trigger are comparable to the medium frame Smiths and far better than the stock trigger on the Ruger, though I cleaned that Rugers trigger up and it was smooth when I was done. My Taurus M85UL has the absolute BEST DA trigger out of the box that I've ever owned on a revolver. It's just completely amazing how smooth and light that trigger is, makes DA shooting a pleasure. I'd rather shoot that gun DA than SA!

The autoloaders seem to have less detractors, probably because the 1911 freaks, up until the advent of the PT1911, had no more interest in Taurus than any other DA/DAO design and there's not really the snob appeal out there for other brands like there is for Smith and Wesson in revolvers. Glock has a large following, but not as many of 'em are Glock snobs, they will buy other brands. A die hard Smith and Wesson fanatic is a bone head, close minded, well, let's just say most of 'em have never fired anything else, so how would they know, anyway.

So, I'm sold on Taurus. I think it's as high a quality marque as any out there and affordable.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links