Taurus vs S&W - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taurus vs S&W

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Taurus vs S&W

I've owned a lot of both, and I love Taurus for their ingenuity, but I suspect that S&W quality control is far superior to Taurus. I've never had to deal with Taurus's Service Department, but if ony 25% of what I read is true, then that concerns me. The S&W Service Department is very good about turning a wrong into a right.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

About 10 years ago, I purchased a S&W 6906 and a Taurus PT92, within a month of eachother. After owning both of them about 6 months, I received a letter from Smith, stating they were having problems, with stress fractures, developing in the slide rails, which could lead to a failure. Now mind you the Taurus at the time had 3 times as many rounds through it, than the Smith ( I had 3000+ through the Taurus ). Anyway I sent the Smith in, they notified me, they x-rayed it and it had started to develop the stress cracks, and it would need to be replaced.. They sent me a new one, which I promptly sold 3 weeks later. The Taurus I had for another 8 years, with god knows how many rounds through it, problem free. I had to sell it due to some financial difficulty, about a year and a half ago, man I'd love to have that gun back, I know I could just go buy a new 92, but it's just not the same.
    If you want a battle of the wits, please come armed.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    763 times

Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970
    About 10 years ago, I purchased a S&W 6906 and a Taurus PT92, within a month of eachother. After owning both of them about 6 months, I received a letter from Smith, stating they were having problems, with stress fractures, developing in the slide rails, which could lead to a failure. Now mind you the Taurus at the time had 3 times as many rounds through it, than the Smith ( I had 3000+ through the Taurus ). Anyway I sent the Smith in, they notified me, they x-rayed it and it had started to develop the stress cracks, and it would need to be replaced.. They sent me a new one, which I promptly sold 3 weeks later. The Taurus I had for another 8 years, with god knows how many rounds through it, problem free. I had to sell it due to some financial difficulty, about a year and a half ago, man I'd love to have that gun back, I know I could just go buy a new 92, but it's just not the same.
    The PT92 has proven time and again to be an extremely durable and reliable platform. Mine now has in the neighborhood of 8,000 rounds through it with zero problems related to the firearm itself. I believe jwc007's oldest PT92 has 23,000 + through it with the original locking block intact. IMO they're one of the best deals going and also one of the most underappreciated.
    "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." - John Custer to his son Jesse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links