Safety Razor shaving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Safety Razor shaving

Member #
    Liked
    1109 times

Safety Razor shaving

For some time now, I have been thinking about what kind of preparations I should make in the event of a catastrophic event. Societal breakdown and civil unrest notwithstanding, a Katrina level event, or in my state, another F5 tornado in a metropolitan area would pose all kinds of problems.

One of the considerations I spent some time on is personal cleanliness and grooming. For a guy that has used electric razors for more than 40 years, how would I get a shave if there was no electricity? As a young man in the 1970's I didn't have much of a beard and by then, I was out on my own. Bottom line, I really didn't have someone who taught me how to shave and all of my attempts ended with cuts and razor bumps. So, I moved on to the electrics.

Then one day, I ran across some videos on the virtues of the old fashioned, double edged safety razor. I was very wary of this based on past experiences and I was sure that I would probably cut my throat and/or go back to the world of ingrown neck hairs and irritation. After watching quite a few YouTube videos on how to shave this way, I decided to give it a try.

The first day, I was very cautious and got the job done with just a couple of nicks. I didn't get a really close shave, but it was passable. After about a week, my confidence was up and I was getting better at it. I then invested in some basic shaving supplies and I am no longer dependent on things that come in spray cans or use electricity. I no longer throw away plastic razors and I think that a single, well used blade is better for me than any 3, 4, or 5 blade system. Best of all, I know that I can continue to maintain my personal grooming without electricity.

On a side note, making sure that I can function without electricity is another reason that I keep iron sights on my rifle.
    John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    [The Shootist-1976]

Member #
    Liked
    5095 times
    I never tried to shave with a razor like that. I'm not much of a shaver anyway. I just tend to take clippers without a guard and knock the facial hair to a nice "5 o'clock shadow" level. Shaving takes too much time, but sometimes it is nice to have a close, clean shave.

Creek
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

"Stupid people shouldn't breed or own guns; unfortuantely they do both..." - ​MOONDAWG

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    I thought about, and for a month, tried, to use the really old fashioned straight edge razor with a leather strop. Worked quite well, and is totally sustainable, much easier to sharpen than the double edge safety razor. However, not as close a shave as the 5 blade stuff, I think. Wifey didn't like the nicks from the straight edge, so got in the last word.

"sometimes if you're lost, just let loose of the reins, trust in your horse to carry you home." Cowboy wisdom

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8987 times
    I have a beard. But can shave with a straight razor if needs be. I have also shaved with one of my Buck knives just to prove a point. What I proved is that I could remove not only the whiskers, but more skin than I thought prudent. I'd rather have a good set of scissors, grow the beard out, and trim occasionally. In a SHTF situation, I'd be worried about hygiene, but grooming would be quite low on the priority list.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    29554 times
    Had a full beard the 10 years I worked homicide.

People were always asking me if I liked beards.

I'd say no, I hate shaving...

NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    4343 times
    Had a beard most of my life. Hate shaving, well remember the old safety and straight razors. Shaved much more and closer than i wanted as one of uncle Sams misguided children. I shave almost everyday because mother hated my beard. At 90 plus she can have a clean face son if it makes her happy. When she is gone I'll grow it back. A pack of the cheap razors or a battery powered razor works for me. Have no desire to go back to the old style. Should we ever get into a long or short time emergency type living situation shaving is not really going to be a priority. Too many other things will be of much greater importance.
    hombre243, TexasAviator and darbo like this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13597 times
    I've been on both sides of the beard thing. Mom and the wife prefer clean shaven, I don't like the hassle. My doctor told me, 10 years ago, that the amount of allergens in a mustache are enough to keep me red eyed and snotty nosed, this ended forty years of mustaches. I also found, after ridding myself of the beards and mustaches, how much I really liked BBQ ribs, and I don't need a shower immediately afterward.
    When I shave, apx. Every other day, I use a cheap bic. If the $hift gets deep, grooming priorities will fall.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    35207 times
    Unless I have to go to a meeting or conference I usually only shave once a week. In a situation like you mentioned, I'd be more worries about other stuff. If I shaved it would probably be every few weeks.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    853 times
    Learned how to shave with them many years ago. Actually, I remember as a youth, they had plastic version of them with cardboard "razor blades" so you could be just like Dad.

Had a beard from 1972 until about 2010. It was all white so, it had to go. Still have the stash though. I hate shaving.......been switching back and forth between different disposables and my electric shaver. Settled back into using the electric for now.

Once I retire in the next 18 months or so, who knows. The beard might make a comeback!

If the SHTF, the beard will be back.
    Guns only have two enemies..........rust and politicians!

Member #
    Liked
    13428 times
    I can not remember the last time I was clean shaven...????????
    Future WVU Medical School Alumni..Later then sooner, I hope, Date unknown...
    Trump Wins Big.... MR. Trump is now the President of the United States Of America.
    Due to the shortage of Ammo, I will no longer fire warning shots!
    Proud member of the NRA
    I will not comply to government scams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links