need some thoughs on dog training to take advantage of a dog's talents
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: need some thoughs on dog training to take advantage of a dog's talents

Member #
    Liked
    856 times

need some thoughs on dog training to take advantage of a dog's talents

Not a negative thread. Amber is showing certain traits and i'd like to encourage them but I am scratching my head. She points, retrieves (awhen she feels like it ), she also exhibits excellent "thinking" when playing with other dogs she figures out their p wonder how I canlay patterns in chase and cuts them off. When "wrestling" she can take down dogs much larger and can even best them with them on top (note she does not hurt them). She does leg holds and such. Also she has an intense drive for small prey, can stalk, and even will freeze and ambush. Just wondering how I can best train and use her talents.
    "But people aren't strong enough to endure the recognition that they're evil. Therefore, believing in their own righteousness they fight to force their views on other people. Just as people die nations aren't eternally indestructible things, either." -Admiral Yang

The sin of a dictatorship is the sin of it's leaders. The sin of the leaders of a republic or democracy is the sin of the people.

Member #
    Liked
    14973 times
    Not that I know anything, the coolest trick I ever taught a dog was to give High 5's, but what kind of dog is she?
    Always remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your targets
    Reduce them to shreds
    Reuse shoot them more than once
    Recycle whatever is left over

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupid is the refusal to do anything about it.

Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    Amber is a pit/brittany. She shows both breeds talents. Just looking to give her something rewarding and fun. Shutzhund is pretty much out, she is 35#, pretty small.
    "But people aren't strong enough to endure the recognition that they're evil. Therefore, believing in their own righteousness they fight to force their views on other people. Just as people die nations aren't eternally indestructible things, either." -Admiral Yang

The sin of a dictatorship is the sin of it's leaders. The sin of the leaders of a republic or democracy is the sin of the people.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21416 times
    dogs are happiest when they are working. They see themselves as active members of the pack. you can work with scent training and develop that skill to the Nth level and also deal with her capture/hold abilities. It really depends on how you want to guide her abilities. Pits by their very nature are tenacious dogs with the ability to scrap when they need to. the broad chest give added oxygen for heavy muscle activity and balance when mixing it up. the Jaw strength is fantastic to grab prey. The Brittany is a water dog/bird dog through and through. The traits to develop there are pointing and retrieving of fowl and small game. My concern is for her prey drive. You really need to address that as a dog with a prey drive that strong will not be a benefit for hunting, tracking or retrieving of game.
    I would also train her with a sachel or harness on to carry additional weight. this make her work harder for a reward and will tend to curb her desire to sprint after the first tree rat she sees.
    ncfarmer likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    Her drive is most apparent not with live animals but strangely.. reflections and laser dots as well as "lasers" on tv. She gets all excited and goes after them and will then spend an hour or so after I turn off the laser pointer "hunting" the dot. She leaves our pet rabbit alone and my old cat when we were at my folks house.

She actually points at the laser or reflection and then freezes, then crouches and waits. Lets it get close then pounces. and tears ass off after it.

Member #
    Liked
    7080 times
    Terriers, which is what Pit Bulls are, are the only dogs bred to kill. Other types of dogs can be TRAINED to kill, but they aren't bred that way. I'm wondering if that might not create problems as a hunting dog? I don't know just pondering. It's a good sign that she doesn't hurt other dogs when wrestling. It sounds like you have an ideal watch dog, though. Best of luck.

Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    Not really, a proper Pitbull has zero human aggression. They were never bred to kill anything. Bull Terriers were bred to "harry" a bull which was then killed while it was leg-pinned by the dog for better flavor. Later in the Dog Pit they fought rats and other animals, which was usually to the death (of the animals, but not the dog), later when the fighting breeds were being refined it was dog on dog action but rarely to the death. Training a dog as a fighter required time and effort and breeding measured in years and possibly decades. Like a fine gladiator in Rome, most fights were not to the death, death resulted more from accident than intent. You don't spend thousands training and breeding to get your dog killed. Like all degenerate things run by criminals, the modern "dog fighting" has almost no connection to it's high-brow past where wealthy upper class people kept kennels and hired trainers to breed the ultimate champion. A pit-bull relied on speed and agility as much as raw strength. The enormous chested or fiddle chested bull terriers of today are mutations of little real use, this goes for the immense headed ones. A classic model pitbull will weigh out maximum of the mid-fifty pounds. It will have a strong but not oversized chest and the head will be boxy but not over sized with a body tapering towards the back with strong lines and great agility.

Amber has no human aggression. At best she will lick an intruder to death while begging to be in his lap.

I have decided that her play style requires knowledgeable playmate owners. She won't hurt them but while in wrestle-mania she will pin the other dog and put a submission bite on it till it "taps out" and then she will let it go and keep playing. Owners might think that is an attack but it isnt.

Member #
    Liked
    21416 times
    well, her play style is actually a gentler form of play but the stigma of "OMG it's a Pitbull" makes other pet owners freak out. Such a shame what rumors, gossip and inuendo can do to a magnificient breed of dog. I've seen the same form of mob mentality with Sheps, Dobies, Rotties and what I rescue, wolfdogs.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    well, her play style is actually a gentler form of play but the stigma of "OMG it's a Pitbull" makes other pet owners freak out. Such a shame what rumors, gossip and inuendo can do to a magnificient breed of dog. I've seen the same form of mob mentality with Sheps, Dobies, Rotties and what I rescue, wolfdogs.
    Not unlike the Evil Black Rifle mentality really. Our neighbor has a "pitbull" bluenose. That dog isn't a pit. It tips the scales at 110#, almost three feet tall at the shoulder and a head the size of a pumpkin. That dog is more American Bulldog than pitbull.

Name:  IMG_20131128_112350.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20131128_112615.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  78.4 KB

Second one is for scale amber weighs 35#, Kalani weighs over 70#

Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    She doesn't go as crazy for the mirror reflection than for the laser (different intensity?). At least we can use the mirror in the day time.

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/meat...01227.mp4.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links