Not gun related but need some advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Not gun related but need some advice

Member #
    Liked
    681 times

Not gun related but need some advice

Im asking here because this is the most rational level headed group of ppl I know hehe
    I started a new job a couple months ago as a welding apprentice. Up till now in my life I avoided jobs where I have to work with people because I just don't get along well socially lol. The job is coming along well enough but its getting difficult to tolerate my coworkers. Theres one or two that I have come close to turning upside down and dropping them on their head a few times. Despite my instincts I have manage to sort it out with my words so far
    The thing thats bothering me is that ppl tend to talk down to me as if I'm a small child, calling me names and so on.
    I know im as capeable than most of them and more than some. But its been like this my whole life. Its something about my personality. Im very agressive alpha male but only when I need to be. Most of the time im quiet and easy going. For some reason people just seem to assume thats my nature. Im not really sure how to get people to realize they are going to get stomped on. Its like how do I develope a dont fu** with me personality without getting agressive. Its just annoying im being talked down to by guys half my age. Or is this just a thing people do ?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33300 times
    Just smile at them and go about your business. Never let them know what you're thinking. They are pushing your buttons because they can't figure you out. Don't stoop to their level. In time they will either come around and be friendly or they will go away. Either way, if you don't take the bait, you win.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    576 times
    I agree with BigSkiff. Just be cool, you have nothing to prove. Over time they will see you aren't shakeable and they will cut the crap out.
    sparks9293 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    10715 times
    I don't know your age, but I always felt a little the same way between ages 19-23 maybe until I was 65, maybe I still feel the same.

I was actually a welders helper (the union steward no less, was the guy I worked for) on a high pressure 30" gas pipeline on river crossings in 1969. He (the lead welder) was a good guy and understood that he had to let me go for a kid, probably much better trained with a union card.

I was a fair welder's helper, but in hind sight, not that great and certainly not union trained. (I was FFA trained)

I guess you really haven't told me enough information about yourself or your situation to properly advise you.
    sparks9293 likes this.

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Member #
    Liked
    681 times
    All this is good advice ! So pretty much just go on about my business the way I have been is the best course of action. I was kind of wondering. I am actually 35 and union. I know I cant go around being a brute all the time. I think I was born in the wrong era lol
    thanks for the assistance !
    rodfair and TexasAviator like this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16696 times
    Sounds like they might be intimidated by your work. If they give you to much guff just say I'm here to work not gossip.

Member #
    Liked
    681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    Sounds like they might be intimidated by your work. If they give you to much guff just say I'm here to work not gossip.
    Haha sort of reminds me of a thing that happened today. One of the journeyman welders that was supposed to be teaching me was annoyed because I didn't know how to operate a machine that I had never seen before. He said "your supposed to know how to do this!" And I said... "No, I'm an apprentice. Im here to learn how to do this" That just made him more annoyed.
    Sekol, rodfair and ozzy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    31209 times
    How many of these folks do you deeply respect? How many of them have earned your trust as infallible judges of skills and character?

Didn't think so. So why worry about what they think? Mark Twain once said something like "Smile. It will please the good people, and make the others wonder what you're up to."
    Sekol, WoodyUSSLUCE and Bender like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    966 times
    You seem be suffering stress "when the mind overrides the body's impulse to choke the bleep out of some bleep that richly deserves it". Skiff nailed it. You can try making a game out of the situation. If you react, they win. If you smile and go on, you win.
    War is God's way of teaching American people geography. .... Ambrose Bierce

NRA & Texas State Rifle Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    1096 times
    I am going to give a response that will come from left field, especially since it is being posted on a public forum where there is no shortage of opinions.

There is only
    1) You
    2) your current circumstances
    3) what you are saying about them, and
    4) nothing.

We combine the first 3 and call it "reality". If we are particularly zealous, we call it "truth". Anyone who has a different point of view occurs to us as a hostile opponent and when we experience that, we either run or stand and fight. When you get it that a different point of view is just that... a different point of view, you can just allow for it without being defensive.

As soon as you get it that these pieces are not you [see #1 above], you can sort out the rest. What you say about yourself, and what others say about you IS NOT YOU. It is just what people are saying.

Finally, post the following on your bathroom mirror and say it 10 times every morning.

"I am completely independent of the good or bad opinions of others."
    Bender likes this.
    John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    [The Shootist-1976]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links