Any Golfers?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Any Golfers?

Member #
    Liked
    315 times

Any Golfers?

I've been steering REALLY wide of golf for a long time. I find it an aggravating and frustrating and just not a nice way to spend my free time. BUT, my wife likes it and recently we golfed together at a local outing and I'm thinking I might get back into it. She likes it and I think it would be a fun way for us to spend time together once in a while, which is something we don't always make enough time for. Anyway...

I used to work at a Play It Again Sports when I was young and I used to know a bit about golf equipment, but I was far from our resident expert. So I'm shopping around and trying to decide what's my better option: Go with a new, more modern design in an inexpensive set ($200-ish) or go with a "better", higher-end brand that I know and trust but in an older, used set.

Any thoughts? Sometimes, even in low-end brands, the modern design is the best way to go for a scrub golfer like myself who'll only get out a handful of times each year. But I sure like some of the 10 year old sets of irons I'm seeing on ebay and craigslist...
    PT809
    PT709
    Keltec P3AT
    Ruger LCR 357
    Marlin Glenfield 60 .22
    Winchester 94 30-30
    Mossberg 195K-A 12 GA
    Savage Springfield 20 GA

MI CPL Holder

"My glass is half full, but I'm constantly checking it for cracks!"

Member #
    Liked
    12324 times
    I tried to play golf once. It was like an easter egg hunt with tourette's. Good luck with it!
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    3202 times
    calaway or taylor made should have enough used sets to get at a good price at edwin watts or playit again sports get regular flex steel shafts with ovr sized heads for your irons and start with 3wood and 5 wood driver stays home til you get to where you are playing regular most average golfers can hit a 3 wood much better than a driver the goal is make it thru all 18 with the lowest score so learn to play to what works best I have a freind who can play 18 with just a 7 iron and a putter and shoot par at our course so its not about any thing except course management
    jhp

jhp

it is ALWAYS better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    Get a gun and GET TRAINING. Training is the key to making proper and responsible decisions in the use of deadly force and training is the key to expertly defending yourself in an unavoidable lethal encounter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4743 times
    I love golf. Of course, I know what my limitations are, and I refuse to let myself get worked up over a bad shot here and there. I am very satisfied with a round of "bogey" golf - which is basically shooting a 90 on a par 72 course, and I know I won't get much better than that. Some of the most fun I've ever had on a golf course was with my late mother in law - we shot 49 holes in one day once, and it was a blast.

I still use a set of clubs I built years ago, Golfsmith cavity-backs, similar to the Ping ISI design, with True Temper shafts, and a Golfsmith titanium driver, but I also have some fairway woods I bought long ago, some Callaway Steelheads.

Enjoy it for what it is - meaning, you probably aren't setting any course records, and live the moment. Most of all, enjoy the time with your wife, playing a GAME that can be enjoyable if you make it so!

Member #
    Liked
    2655 times
    Golf is a good walk ruined. I used to play golf but then had to start taking a blood pressure medication.
    BW64 likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32555 times
    Cow pasture billiards. I tried golf for a few years. I was bad, and never seemed to improve. These days, shooting golf balls with just about any firearm is enjoyable. Some times I wonder why I couldn't drive a ball with my Big Bertha, like I can with my PT1911.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    1251 times
    Either route will work and probably cost about the same. I personally would go with a newer set (I picked up some Nike slingshots full set of irons for $200 shipped this spring). If you prefer the older style clubs with smaller faces and more blade like function then you should go the used route. In order to get that type of club in a new model you will probably have to go with a Pro Model and that will set you back pretty good. I personally think the new larger club head style irons are more forgiving and give a bit better distance and loft. One thing I would recommend if you are going to get a newer style is to go to a sporting goods store (dicks, sports authority, etc) and see if they let you test the clubs. Find something you like and then order it way cheaper off the interwebs. Be sure to pay attention to the shaft flex and material. Stiff steel flex for big fast power swing, regular flex steel or graphite for normal swing or senior flex for easy swing. If you are not between 5'9" and 6'1" you should also look for shorter or longer than standard clubs, it makes a difference.

As others have mentioned, don't waste money on a big name driver yet. You likley won't hit it well enough to make it worth carrying until you knock some rust off. I have found that Craigslist is a great place to find a deal on used clubs. You can see them in person before you buy and don't have to pay shipping like on ebay. You can even swing them and see if they feel good. I would definitel recommend checking there.

I only play a few times a year now that life got busy but I used to play 3 times a week and was halfway decent. I think I may need to take a long lunch and hit the driving range!
    Leejack-TexasAviator 2016 - A ticket you could proudly get behind (and provide cover fire for).

NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - No guns here... move along.

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    For the outing I mentioned, I used a borrowed set of Ping Zings Orange dot and played pretty well with them. I'm 5'8" so I've been looking mainly at older Pings because I know I hit them OK and their Dot System gives me an idea of what to expect in terms of length and lie, not that I'm an expert when it comes to fit. As for drivers or woods of any kind - I never have hit them well. The only club I kept from when I had a set of clubs is a crappy $20 (used) 12* steel head, graphite shaft driver. I always slice bad with woods (nice and straight with irons though) but this driver I hit as straight as any. I'll play a 3 or 4 iron as a second shot before I reach for a fairway wood...

I need to hit a local Play It Again before I go the ebay route, tempting as a set of Cobras are looking at the moment.
    PT809
    PT709
    Keltec P3AT
    Ruger LCR 357
    Marlin Glenfield 60 .22
    Winchester 94 30-30
    Mossberg 195K-A 12 GA
    Savage Springfield 20 GA

MI CPL Holder

"My glass is half full, but I'm constantly checking it for cracks!"

Member #
    Liked
    15446 times
    Callaway now owns top flite. You can get a great set of top flite for under $200. Try checking ebay. They have some good deals on clubs if you know what you want and dont need to handle them before buying.
    I don't always open carry, but when I do I prefer DeSantis.

Member #
    Liked
    29294 times
    ...I just swing real hard and yell "S***" a lot.

NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links