Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best .410/45 Colt for target practice

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Best .410/45 Colt for target practice

Hi all!

I got my new 2.5 in. Public Defender last month and I have now been to the range twice. I also got a Rossi 357 and have alternate shooting it and the PD. Rhese are my first guns and first time shooting any guns. While a lot of fun, I did find the recoil on the PD a lot more than expected. I was able to handle it better the second time at the range bur was wondering if therw are some recommended low recoil ammo for both .410 and 45 that a beginner would benefit from while practice shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Congrats on the Judge and welcome to the board. I like your "go big or go home" kinda attitude!

Far as the ammo (and feel free to correct me guys and gals) I think any 200gr 45 colt is considered a "low recoil" or "cowboy" round (as much as a 45 colt can be at least). I don't know of any "low recoil" .410s as they are already the smallest shotshell on the market. Hopefully someone else will have a little more info than me.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Best .410/45 Colt for target practice

Thanks for the info! Yeah, i figured might as well go for the big guns if I was going to to finally make the investment considering these will be for self and home defense.

I had actually ordered some Magtech 45 colt 200 grain Cowboy ammo from Palmetto State Armory last week as it was the only 50 round box I could find along with some Federal .410 000 buck. So I was happy to read your reply, but get this...I received my order today and when I opened the box this evening I noticed the 45 ammo was not included! I only received the .410 ammo and a bunch of packing paper. This is so disappointing. Called but they were closed so sent them an email. Hopefully they will resolve this for me without too much hassle. I still have some Winchester PDX 45 rounds left but I am saving them for actual self defense use.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hopefully you won't have trouble with the Federal 000 buck. I have the Poly model of the Public Defender and myself and a few others on here have had a problem with those shells expanding after you fire them and locking the cylinder up. I sent my Judge back to Taurus to have the cylinder to frame wall clearence increased. I've got it back now but haven't had the opportunity to shoot that particular load through it so I don't know if the issue remains. Something to be aware of in case it happens to you as well.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the heads up on the Federal. I will be heading to the range tomorrow and will be testing these out. Hopefully no issues come up.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16696 times
    It's a "legal sawed off shotty" load it like one! Buckshot.
    kschilk and Blucotech like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, that's the plan. Just testing several different .410 loads. I like the PDX1 discs but not too fond of the BBs. I will test some Federal 000 Buck and Remington Home Defense Buck tomorrow. I will keep the 45s as backup though.

gtv
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I put another box of Federal 000 Buck through my PD Poly today without any issues. Thus far, I have had no problems with any ammo I have tried (knock on wood), but my Judge really likes the Fed 000 and PDX1 shotshells and .45 Colt best (in terms of accuracy and patterning).

Forgot to add: I wish Winchester would make a PDX1 shotshell with 4 or 5 discs and no BBs.
    Last edited by gtv; 03-23-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    390 times
    I have to try the Federal 000 buck if I can find it. I've used some Brennecke .410 Silver Slug 3" Magnums and Remington .410 2.5" long birdshot rounds. The birdshot is only good up close and personal and I hope never to have an attacker get that close.
    The reason I own a gun is not because I'm a "gun enthusiast". It's because I'm a "not in favor of getting killed by a thug" enthusiast. Go figure.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I really like the hour day ccowboy action loads in the .45 long colt and the Remington express #4 shot in the the .410 gives you a little extra range

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links