Raging Judge Magnum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Raging Judge Magnum

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Raging Judge Magnum

I've been looking for a solid review on the Raging Judge Magnum for a while now. I couldn't find much more than people questioning whether it was a 28 gauge, could or could not accept 454 rounds, or just talking about it. So I decided to do a review to help anybody that's considering one.
    When I picked mine up, I was shocked by how large it is. I'd seen pictures, but seeing it in person is different. Though it's massive, the comfort of the grips makes it pretty easy to wield after getting used to it. It's become as comfortable to aim as my Taurus OSS in 45acp.
    I own the model with the 6 round cylinder and 6.5" barrel, which accepts 45LC, 410 (2.5 &3 inch), and 454 Casull, so this is the model I'm reviewing. As is typical, it came dirty and full of packing grease. After cleaning it, the finish really shows.
    Now on to the important parts. I've put about 70 rounds of 45LC, 15 3" 410 #4 buck, 20 3" 410 PDX-1, and 20 454 Casull through it. The 45 feels like firing a 22 pistol and the 410 feels very similar to my OSS. Noticeably less recoil than my friend's Judge Magnum. The 454 Casull produces a lot of recoil, but is easily managed due to the weight and red strip in the grip. The firearm is smoother than my friend's Ruger Redhawk 44 mag. I don't feel the recoil much in the hands, but can feel it travel through the body.
    I couldn't be happier with grouping. At 30 yards, the 45 and 454 rounds are dead on. I haven't had the opportunity to fire it further than that, but will this summer. I'll update with my experiences. The round that really surprised me, though, is the 410. Every 3" 410 load I've fired has been accurate and surprisingly tight. I was very impressed and reassured that I'd made the right purchase.
    I've only had one problem so far. After firing several 454 Casull rounds in the same cylinder, it was very hard to remove the casings. I'm writing this off as the firearm needing worked in because I didn't experience it at all during my last range visit (I've had 3 with this firearm).
    All in all, the only downside I can find in the Raging Judge Magnum is that it's not easily concealed. But, it's very obviously not made for that. I purchased it as a special purpose weapon because I do a lot of hiking in the mountains. I previously had an encounter with a mountain lion and was fortunate enough to avoid being attacked. I wanted to make sure that my life is never in danger while hiking again. To me, this is the perfect trail gun. From snakes to grizzlies, the Raging Judge Magnum can take care of it all.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I have the 3" Raging Judge. Its simply the most fun I have had from a revolver. I have not shot 454 yet. That is an uncommon round around my area. What brand/configuration do you shoot. I was told that around 1300 fps is very mild. I was looking at the 250 gr 1600 fps load on cheaper than dirt. I want to shoot mild upwards to get used to it. Strongest revolver I have shot is 357 Mag. I also agree about the 45LC thru the Raging Judge, its almost no felt recoil. My 13yr old daughter can shoot it. I didn't let here shoot the 410 tho I am sure she could handle it as well. I was using 3" federal #$ buck and 000 buck. Its got a little more kick, but no where near as much as the 357 IMO. I would put it around a 38+p. So would anyone have recomendations for 454 loads to start with and go up?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    454 Casull was almost impossible to find in my area, but one shop is starting to stock more, along with a slight variety. Until about a week ago, I've only been able to find Hornady 300 gr XTP MAX. I'll be experimenting with different loads over the summer. I fire 44 mag and 50 AE semi-frequently, so I was a bit more prepared for the recoil. Though, I have to admit I was still a bit intimidated. How accurate is the 3" model?
    Because I've only fired one type of 454 round, I don't have much advice on them. Sorry, man. I jumped right into it. I was expecting to have to guard myself from a crowning, but it's surprisingly smooth. A lot to handle, but smooth. I would do one of two things. If possible, borrow or rent a caliber between 357 and 454 to work your way to it. If not, just start with the smallest 454 round you can find. As long as you're ready for it, it's not that bad, though.
    I also have to say thank you for teaching your daughter. IMO, RESPONSIBLE children should be taught to shoot so that our freedom to bear arms is preserved and appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I ordered some Winchester Super-X 454 from CTD. I also ordered some 45 colt +p. I have read that they are around 44 mag level. Will try those two and move up from there.

The 3" barrel is very accurate with the 45 colt. With the shot shells they were very well grouped at range of 15 yards.

I have had all 3 of my kids at the range numerous times. My dad started me off young, and I never had the urge to "play" with guns. I feel that they should know how to handle them safely, and they will respect them more if they witness first hand what happens when you pull the trigger. I also feel that we must do our best to show our kids what gun ownership is, and how its not as taboo as many want everyone to believe.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I've been thinking about some 45 colt +p's as well. Please let me know how they work out if you go to the range soon.
    I'm glad it's more accurate than I thought it'd be. Definitely has a quicker draw time, too!
    Couldn't agree more with you.

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27592 times
    Thanks for sharing your outstanding review of your new Taurus Raging Judge Magnum with us!

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Colt 45+p still had very little recoil with this gun. The Win Super-X was great. Felt recoil was about the same as my 3" barrel 357. I think the weight of the Raging Judge and the grip make up alot on the recoil. I made a batch of "knox" ballistic gel. It was in a 15" long block. I laid a pair of my wifes old jeans across the front and rear of the block. 4 layers at front (pants legs) and tucked the waist at the back of the block. The Win SuperX went all the way thru pant legs and gel, and stopped in the waist band. It seperated into 3 pieces. The gel block was a hot mess. It appeared to disentegrate as the bullet passed thru it. I will be ordering some hotter 454 loads. Gonna try some Horandy critical defense and some federal vital shok next

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Haha! That's awesome! Where would I be able to find out hoe to make that? I've gotta try that! Thanks for the update!

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I found it online. Do a web search for knox ballistic gel. There is also a few on youtube that show you how. It uses about 16 1oz packs of the powder for a gallon. It stinks while you make it so one person said to add clear vanilla extract to it to help.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would start a new post/thread but i have a problem with my raging judge. I have the 45LC, 454, .410. My problem is that the barrel has copper coloring in it that i just cant seem to get out. Does anyone know a way to get it it. Im thinking is residue form the ammo. I just can picture it being rust since it is cleaned every time i go to the range. Im not new to guns and know how to clean them but this is my first multi calibuer gun and think maybe there is something im missing. I have done the bore brush with/with out hoppy's oil, clean cloth through the barrel with/without hoppy's oil. I even have some stuff targeted for rust and nothing so this is why is almost positive its build-up residue.

Is it possible that the lead from the 45CL and .410 is binding with the copper from my 454 and making it hard to get clean? Im cancerned that what ever is going pn is going to affect the accuracy at some point....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links