Can't Get 410 ga Shotshells into Taurus Judge Cylnder
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Can't Get 410 ga Shotshells into Taurus Judge Cylnder

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Can't Get 410 ga Shotshells into Taurus Judge Cylnder

I wanted to see if anyone who has or has used a 'Judge' experienced this. I have an older (over 10 yrs) model I traded a friend for a few years ago. Since then I keep it by the bed and loaded with PDX1 SD ammo. Yesterday I wanted to take out the SD ammo and load it with shotgun ammo. Didn't fit!

I couldn't get any 410 ga 2.5" shells into the cylinder. It stops about halfway. There is a raised ridge toward the end of each hole and I guess that's what's stopping it. The gun will take .45LC cartridges, the above mentioned PDX1 SD rounds and other specialty ammo, just not 410 shells.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem. I could swear when I got it in the trade I shot different size 410 ammo through it. Now the shotgun ammo is a no-go. The gal at Taurus said maybe different brand shotshells might be different diameters and to try different brand ammos. Have you looked for ammo lately? So I thought I'd check here to see what others had to say about this.

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4213 times
    I don't have a Judge and don't know anything about them.

However, I want one and have read quite a bit about them.

If I recall, "old" .410 shells made for shotguns didn't fit in the Judge. It seems to me that many years ago some companies started making .410 shells that worked in both shotguns and the Judge. See if you can find a box of .410 shells that specifically state something about working in a revolver. Or, possibly see if you can find something to this effect on the Internet. I don't know if I'm right, but that is what I remember and since no one else chimed in, I figured I'd get it started.

Whatever you come up with, please post back here so the knowledge is not lost!
    Qwiks draw and Robhic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3063 times
    Clean the chambers thoroughly. If you've shot a bit of 45lc without scrubbing the chambers, it's likely built-up residue that is preventing the 410 shells from dropping into the chamber.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk
    This is the land of opportunity not entitlement

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12480 times
    Yep, clean out those cylinders good. There are some 410 shells with too much rib to fit well. Try to find some of the 410 shells made for revolvers and try those. Federal and Winchester make some.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    While I have the raging judge magnum (can chamber 3"410) I haven't had any issues with it.

Measure the shells, one that doesn't fit and one that does. My bet is the ones that fit will have a taper to them (at least more so) to help with chambering. Could be just the last little bit where the crimp is too, so I'd measure about every quarter inch from base to crimp.

I don't think it's a carbon ring issue, but no harm cleaning it. My judge doesn't have a step for 410, which is where carbon usually builds up (if I shot a bunch of 45 in mine, before I loaded 454 in it, I'd have to clean the cylinder because the carbon in the step for 454 would get carbon built up, since the ridge is set for 454, not 45, and preventing then from fully going in. They wouldn't really stick out much. Since the regular judge isn't reamed further forward to accommodate the 454, I don't see carbon being the issue here. But, I could be wrong.
    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nhyrum; 07-15-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Qwiks draw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Perhaps this is a dumb question, but are you trying to load 3 inch shells into a 2 1/2 inch chamber?? Just a question in case I missed something.
    Qwiks draw and jtg452 like this.
    "

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabowtie View Post
    Clean the chambers thoroughly. If you've shot a bit of 45lc without scrubbing the chambers, it's likely built-up residue that is preventing the 410 shells from dropping into the chamber.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk
    Chambers are very clean. I haven't shot this gun in quite a while. The LC and SD ammo go in fine. The shotshells stop about halfway in in all 5 chambers. I really don't think it's a cleaning issue. The post (above) about 'old' shotshells not fitting in the Judge's chambers seems to make more sense....

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicrooster View Post
    Perhaps this is a dumb question, but are you trying to load 3 inch shells into a 2 1/2 inch chamber?? Just a question in case I missed something.
    Nope, I made sure all the shotgun ammo was 410ga X 2.5" as this gun requires.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    While I have the raging judge magnum (can chamber 3"410) I haven't had any issues with it.

Measure the shells, one that doesn't fit and one that does. My bet is the ones that fit will have a taper to them (at least more so) to help with chambering. Could be just the last little bit where the crimp is too, so I'd measure about every quarter inch from base to crimp.

I don't think it's a carbon ring issue, but no harm cleaning it. My judge doesn't have a step for 410, which is where carbon usually builds up (if I shot a bunch of 45 in mine, before I loaded 454 in it, I'd have to clean the cylinder because the carbon in the step for 454 would get carbon built up, since the ridge is set for 454, not 45, and preventing then from fully going in. They wouldn't really stick out much. Since the regular judge isn't reamed further forward to accommodate the 454, I don't see carbon being the issue here. But, I could be wrong.
    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I know what you mean about the carbon ring. I had to fight that in a used 38/357 revolver I purchased. It almost required sand-blasting to get that buildup out! It was hard as a rock. I got it out but this Judge of mine has machined 'step' in each. That's what makes me think it's an ammo issue. I'm gonna measure the shells (as you say above) and check for odd size. The shells are a mix of older (10 yrs?) and newer (last week) and brand (older are Winchester) so this is a bit of a head-scratcher. Thanks to all who added info or suggestions for my dilemma.

Member #
    Liked
    4413 times
    The step is the end of the 45 Colt chamber. The step is to keep 454 ammo from being loaded and shot, the 454 chamber pressure is greater than a 45 Colt cylinder can handle. As to why some 410 shells do not chamber, usually it is where the crimp has enlarged the end of the shell. The enlarged end catches the end of the 45 Colt chamber that would prevent a 454 round from chambering. As a reloader it is easy for me to just run the round up in a sizing die to reduce it back to specs. Some ammo is worse than others. I shoot brass hulls in different gauge shells, but not the Judge. The 45 Colt chamber rings the brass hulls and sometimes are hard to remove. Also cuts life of the brass hulls. The Judge and S&W's Governor are wonderful special purpose guns that can fire different types ammo for different type shooting. They do have limitations the 410 shell issue is one of them.
    Czechbikr and ShtnBlanks.22 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links