Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 777Driver
  • 1 Post By Buckeye gunner

Thread: Night stand gun

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Night stand gun

Hello everyone, I would like your opinion on which load I should have in my PD Poly. A combination of .45 Colt and Hornady triple threat? Or the TT with Federal 000 buckshot. I'm concerned of any background if I fire off some .45 Colts in my house. Thanks for your input.

Member #
    Liked
    6131 times
    I use Ruger ARX Self Defense loads in my nightstand gun .38 Spc. They are actually made by Polycase are a composite projectile specifically designed to stop an intruder and not penetrate into any background walls, rooms, etc. I do also have a Mossberg Mav88 with pistol grip and tac lite next to the bed just in case a real SHTF situation develops.

https://gunworld.com/ammo/rugers-arx-ammo/
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter U'cover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Rem 870 Exp 12g - Heritage RR .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phx HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47517 times
    I keep my Judge loaded with #3 or #4 shot for in the house. Just depends on what I can find. In my Judge they seem to pattern well out to 12' - 15' and also minimize over penetration through multiple walls. For my house layout and situation I think it is the best option.

I really think you need to look at the layout of your house and what kind of distances you may need to shoot at. Then go out and pick up different loads and shoot them in your Judge and evaluate the spread at those distances. Everyone's situation is different and every gun can pattern different with different loads.

You can use YouTube to see what size shot does what to drywall walls to help figure out the penetration issues if you can't test for yourself.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    LCR 38 special with 148 gr wadcutters.

Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    the judge 3x3 loaded alternately with PDX1 and buck shot, also use my EDC glock 42 with a viridian laser sight on occasion ..but if things get outa hand ( which they won't ) with that kinda firepower in a nearby gun rack, a Remington model 870 short barrel 12ga pump shotgun could very quickly come into play ...but that's over doing it a bit, nowadays tho liberal Judges will convict individuals for protecting themselves with what they have now termed overkill, ya got to choose nowadays which caliber your going to kill a home invader with and how many rounds you pump into him .....screwed up system we live in IMHO ..

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times
    I have Glock 17 loaded with hollow points so that it expands and stops fast.
    Hopefully, this will prevent the round from going through my target, and doing damage to something behind it.

No matter what you use, there's the chance it'll go through the target; or you could miss too.
    A shotgun can cause major drywall damage.
    (*Note - Drywall can also be used as a euphemism for home intruder)
    Troll and chefduane like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Night stand gun 2

Does anyone use Federal 000 buck in combination with any other rounds?
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I use 2 Federal 000 buck handgun rounds then 3 Hornady Leverlution 45LC rounds in my poly PD. I like the combo and the Federal's pattern really well out to 15yds-ish. That's as far as I've shot them so far. Probably be fine farther out. On a 10" paper plate at 15yds-ish the shot pattern only opened up to about 3.5 inches. I think it's pretty good. When I bought my judge the Hornady was the only 45LC defensive ammo the store had and it turned out fine. They hit were I aim but I haven't shot into gel or anything to see how well they mushroom but you tube has lots of videos for info on that. When I go out to my son's ranch I'll put in a couple of 410 birdshot rounds for snakes and 45's in case we run across a pig. It's my EDC and it's pretty versatile.

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    For the bed side, 000 Buck is my choice.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The National Guard: The ORIGINAL Department of Homeland Security since 1636.

Member #
    Liked
    581 times
    the first three are Hornady triple defense, the last two are 255 gr hollow points

Sponsored Links