A little quality time with the Judge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A little quality time with the Judge

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

A little quality time with the Judge

I took the Judge out today. 50 rounds total – 25 rounds of #6 shot, 20 rounds of 000 buckshot, and 5 slugs.

#6 was great within 10 yards…beyond that, it patterned out too wide to be effective for home defense purposes. At 5 yards, it shredded the target.

000 buckshot was surprisingly good. It was accurate enough (for me). I was getting decent groups on a 9” paper plate at 15 and 20 yards. As it’s a nightstand gun, that’s more distance than I’ll ever need it to cover.

The slugs were really accurate. At 20 yards, I was able to get all 5 rounds into a 6” pattern.

For all the negative comments I see on the ‘net about the Judge, I’ve found it to be a helluva lot of fun to shoot – and I now trust it more as a nightstand gun for home defense. And for the record: the Laserlyte rail that I installed with the Olight PL-Mini 2 didn’t come loose. After 50 rounds, I couldn’t get it to budge. I’m very pleased with it.
    Last edited by BourbonCowboy; 12-27-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    Mark

Member #
    Liked
    11527 times
    Excellent report on one of my favorites.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    34426 times
    I agree on the slugs, though the 1/4 oz seem to shoot better than the 1/5 oz. I also like #4 Buck out of the Judge, especially as a snake load. I've had my Mag for over seven years now and I still get the giggles every time I shoot it, regardless of load.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Sounds great and I have been eyeing the Judge for a while now. Maybe soon!

Member #
    Liked
    32680 times
    #6 for self defense? I'd never do that. I'd use a baseball bat first. Heck, fathers used to shoot teenage boys with it as a warning. I can certainly see using a Judge for self defense, but I'd stick to buckshot, slugs, or the self defense rounds designed specifically for the Judge. But that's just one man's opinion.
    loudviking likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    #6 for self defense? I'd never do that. I'd use a baseball bat first. Heck, fathers used to shoot teenage boys with it as a warning. I can certainly see using a Judge for self defense, but I'd stick to buckshot, slugs, or the self defense rounds designed specifically for the Judge. But that's just one man's opinion.
    No,that is 2 mens opinions....................
    GhostHorse likes this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I definitely agree. I just had a box of #6 and some free time. My 74-year-old dad shot it a few times and now I think he wants one for a nightstand gun.
    Mark

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I do keep 000 buck when I carry, though the Liberty Civil Defense in the .45 Colt groups about 2" for me at 21 yards. It's not a +P but it feels hot. I shoot .45 Colt at the range and I'm a better shot with the Judge over my G2C.

Member #
    Liked
    2400 times
    I love the Judge. I got mine back in Summer of 2017 after handling my brother's Judge, and it has been my bedside Home Defense gun ever since. Mine is the "Magnum" version which chambers 3" shells.

As far as negativity towards the Judge on the Internet goes, it's just a lot of hot air by ignorant individuals and folks who just plain don't like it for whatever reason. A running joke of mine about the Judge is that for all the folks online who say that the Judge is nothing special and that those who like it make outrageous claims of its capabilities as though it were a magic wand, it most certainly does seem to possess the supernatural ability to reduce even the most eloquent firearms experts into incoherent rambling lunatics at the mere mention of it.
    Heck, I once wrote a whole thread on the subject, and have often considered revisits it, but at this point it would be beating a dead horse. The Judge is hated and will continue to be hated on. Fortunately, the fact that it is still in production well over a decade later means that it still sells, and if folks want to continue making arrogant claims about how it only sells because idiots buy them, ignoring every case in which it has been successfully used in self-defense, then that's their prerogative. As for me, I'll continue enjoying it, and should I ever have to use it in self-defense, I'm sure that the 3 rounds of Federal Premium .410 Handgun 000 Buck and 2 rounds of Barnes VOR-TX 200gr .45LC CHPs will get the job done. If I'm attacked by the illusive strike force of highly trained ex-military meth-head terrorists who stand over 7 feet tall, weight over 300 pounds, wear 5 layers of heavy denim, and use car doors as shields, then obviously I'm at a disadvantage and was dead meat the moment they targeted me in the first place.
    kschilk likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    34426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    I love the Judge. I got mine back in Summer of 2017 after handling my brother's Judge, and it has been my bedside Home Defense gun ever since. Mine is the "Magnum" version which chambers 3" shells.

As far as negativity towards the Judge on the Internet goes, it's just a lot of hot air by ignorant individuals and folks who just plain don't like it for whatever reason. A running joke of mine about the Judge is that for all the folks online who say that the Judge is nothing special and that those who like it make outrageous claims of its capabilities as though it were a magic wand, it most certainly does seem to possess the supernatural ability to reduce even the most eloquent firearms experts into incoherent rambling lunatics at the mere mention of it.
    Heck, I once wrote a whole thread on the subject, and have often considered revisits it, but at this point it would be beating a dead horse. The Judge is hated and will continue to be hated on. Fortunately, the fact that it is still in production well over a decade later means that it still sells, and if folks want to continue making arrogant claims about how it only sells because idiots buy them, ignoring every case in which it has been successfully used in self-defense, then that's their prerogative. As for me, I'll continue enjoying it, and should I ever have to use it in self-defense, I'm sure that the 3 rounds of Federal Premium .410 Handgun 000 Buck and 2 rounds of Barnes VOR-TX 200gr .45LC CHPs will get the job done. If I'm attacked by the illusive strike force of highly trained ex-military meth-head terrorists who stand over 7 feet tall, weight over 300 pounds, wear 5 layers of heavy denim, and use car doors as shields, then obviously I'm at a disadvantage and was dead meat the moment they targeted me in the first place.
    I practice with Federals but when I carry my Mag, it's loaded with 3" Winchester 5-pellet 000 Buck. I only shoot the LCs occasionally and just for fun, nothing against using them for SD though. At SD range, I don't doubt the 000 Buck will stop anything I might encounter. As for penetration, it's not something I have to consider. Whether it's a pistol or rifle and regardless of caliber or load, I shoot for the face.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links