X-Mas party talk: "Judge not"? for PD for a non-shooter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: X-Mas party talk: "Judge not"? for PD for a non-shooter

Member #
    Liked
    124 times

X-Mas party talk: "Judge not"? for PD for a non-shooter

I had an IT friend over for a X-Mas party and he mentioned he's been thinking about getting a non-carry PD gun (neighborhood issues in a dense townhouse area). My friend is a geek and will never get into shooting. Getting him to the range more than 3 times to learn how to handle a gun will be a challenge.

Security guards where he works told him about 9's and 357's, all the big names, reliability and durability talk, etc.

I say baloney to that. I think he needs a KISS panic-proof point-n-shoot 45/410 with 000 in it.

((I'm sure this an very old and tired topic but I looked at several pages of titles in this sub-forum w/o success.))
    kruizer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2332 times
    A coach gun would be a better choice. Load it with the Aguila short buckshot shells.

Member #
    Liked
    7801 times
    If he's not concerned enough to prioritize learning basic handling and marksmanship, it'd be better if he just skipped getting a gun altogether. A gun is a tool and you have to learn to use it. It's not some magic talisman that wards off evil.

If he decides to get one, get a long gun- shotgun or pistol caliber carbine. They are easier to shoot and more forgiving to the uninitiated. If he's not going to practice, then a pistol is just a noisemaker unless it's bad breath range.

Shotguns don't spread like they are shown on TV. Even with a cylinder bore (no choke constriction), a smoothbore shotgun is looking at like a 1 inch per yard of distance increase in pattern size. That's after the shotcup falls away at about 6 to 10 feet.

The rifling in a Judge will help open the pattern faster (basically, the spin from the rifling spins the natural pattern apart) but the trade off is that it cuts the range way down with shotshells.
    Last edited by jtg452; 12-22-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7919 times
    Sounds like moving would be the best option.
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the .45

Member #
    Liked
    32680 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daveindenver View Post
    My friend is a geek and will never get into shooting. Getting him to the range more than 3 times to learn how to handle a gun will be a challenge.
    Suggestion; find out if he likes any first person shooter video games. Then ask "would you like to learn to shoot for real?" Then take him to the range, using a couple of your handguns. You'll have a good idea ten minutes in whether he like it or not, and you'll know for sure if he brings it up a day or three later, asking when you can take him again.

There's no need to make suggestions/decisions on the assumption that he won't get into it. Start with something that has a bit of flash and recoil, but not too much. I'm thinking a steel .38 Special snub or a 4" or 6" .357. Maybe a 5" 1911. He may just surprise you.
    taurustoter likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    32680 times
    Not that I'm giving geek advice from years of experience, mind you....
    taurustoter likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    34426 times
    He's an IT guy? Take him to the range with a Judge (loaded with .410 000 Buck) to shoot and an old laptop, to shoot at. I'll bet he'd be grinnin' like the Cheshire Cat. I don't think anyone, even a non-enthusiast, can shoot a Judge without gettin' a terminal case of the giggles.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    1117 times
    Personally, I don't believe a handgun should be a new shooters first experience. I would train them on a .22 rifle, then upgrade them to a pistol caliber carbine.
    jtg452 and taurustoter like this.
    John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    [The Shootist-1976]

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3029 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    He's an IT guy? Take him to the range with a Judge (loaded with .410 000 Buck) to shoot and an old laptop, to shoot at. I'll bet he'd be grinnin' like the Cheshire Cat. I don't think anyone, even a non-enthusiast, can shoot a Judge without gettin' a terminal case of the giggles.
    The range I go to lets you bring your own targets, but I've never seen anything other than paper. I can't imagine they let you use anything other than paper, otherwise there'd be lots of former mothers-in-law at the end of the range...

Anyhow, I've never shot a judge, but I'd imagine it packs quite a kick. That probably isn't ideal for a new shooter.
    kschilk and taurustoter like this.

Member #
    Liked
    559 times
    If he is not going to learn/practice I'd propose a self defense app for his smart phone :-)

Comical that people admit a need but politically can't bring themselves to fulfill it. But at least he got to the 1st step in the 12 step plan, we have a problem. Now he has a problem.
    jtg452 and taurustoter like this.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links