The day of Judge-ment has come
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: The day of Judge-ment has come

Member #
    Liked
    32992 times

The day of Judge-ment has come

As those of you who visit the Firing Line know, I've been looking for a good snake handgun. It's for when we're hiking with the dogs, and need to disassemble a rattler's head as rapidly as possible.

I'd been looking at a few options, but today I settled on a Judge with 3" chambers, and a 3" barrel to match. I got it home did some dry firing to break in the trigger, and it's pretty good. Not as good as my Model 66 or my Colts, but good. That's DA. SA has some overtravel, but isn't bad either. I know, I'm four lines in and haven't posted any pictures. Here you go.

Name:  DSC00342.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  2.97 MB

Opening it up, things looked surprisingly clean for those of us who remember when all Tauruses came with huge amounts of shipping grease. Haven't heard that complaint in a long time. It looks generally well put together inside.

Name:  DSC00331.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  2.91 MB
    Name:  DSC00332.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  2.92 MB

The cylinder gap measures a hair over 0.008", which seemed a bit big. It seems like the forcing cone might not be quite square, because the 0.008" shim barely fits in one side, and won't quite fit in the other.

I like the grip, it makes shooting shotshells very comfortable. The brass medallion in the grip is nice. Strange thought; the overall dimensions of the Judge are similar to those of a NAA mini-22. Edit; proportions, not dimensions. The proportions are similar, the dimensions are a bit different.

Name:  DSC00338.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  2.93 MB

Here's the 3 pace pattern with 2 1/2" #8 shot.
    Name:  DSC00340.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  2.97 MB

Honestly, I'm not as thrilled with this as I hoped I'd be. I'll try a couple of different shot sizes and see if there's one I really like. All in all, an interesting revolver, I'll give it that!
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 08-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7592 times
    I would go with #4 shot, will tighten up the pattern...................................
    taurustoter likes this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Unfortunately, when it comes to shotshells in the Judge, the smaller the shot, the further it speads. That rifling really spreads it out in a hurry. The best shotshells to use in the Judge are those which either were specifically designed for the Judge, (which is almost entirely buckshot) or otherwise shells which use a large shotcup which prevents the shot from coming into contact with the rifling, and is either hardened or copper-plated to mitigate deformation.

There's a reason why nearly all early reviews for the Judge were negative, and that's because although it's chambered for .410 Bore, not all shotshells work well in it. Some shells stick, some shot spreads too fast, some shot gets deformed inside the barrel causing it to sail off in random directions. Most shells have some sort of issue in the Judge because they just weren't designed to be shot from a revolver with a 3" rifled barrel, so you either have to experiment with different shells to see what performs/patterns best, (a potentially costly endeavor) do a lot of research which requires you to wade through a virtual sewer of misinformation perpetuated by haters, or stick with premium ammo which specifically says right on the box that it's for handguns.

I wish I could be more helpful, but alas, I bought the Judge as a nightstand gun, ergo all of my research in regards to the Judge was for the sake of finding shotshells which were good against two-legged predators. (Most of the snakes in my immediate area are harmless Garters, so finding a good round for snakes was never even a secondary concern.)
    silverstring and YOT like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11607 times
    Congrats on your new Judge. One suggestion would be to soak the black finish with some ballistol for a day or so. Then wipe off. Will extend the life of that finish. Like said above the bigger the shot or a shotgun cup designed for Judge/Governor is a good choice. Also my max distance used for snakes is 15 feet, it is not at all like a 410 shotgun where you can still get a good pattern at 50 feet. I have a new Judge on the way (this will be my 12th). I buy them , slick up the action, then someone always wants to buy them. So I have been without a Judge for almost 9 months. My addiction will soon be satiated with a new long barrel Judge. Thought it would make for a good challenge when making my own 45 colt ammo to try and find a 50 yard round that will group out of that long barrel. Anyway, while you may not be completely sure about your new revolver. It will be your friend shooters who will always ask, hey you still got that Judge? We always wanted to try one. I know my grand kids always ask to shoot one.
    Last edited by silverstring; 08-18-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    34637 times
    Personally, I like #4 Buck for snakes.......but if ya' wanna' know what kind of snake it is/was, you'd better identify it before ya' shoot it.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    3583 times
    Nice revolver OP! It is most certainly HUGE!
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    Personally, I like #4 Buck for snakes.......but if ya' wanna' know what kind of snake it is/was, you'd better identify it before ya' shoot it.
    I was actually considering recommending Federal Premium .410 Hangun #4 Buck due to the spread, larger pellets, and effectiveness against potentially larger threats, but held off because I couldn't personally attest to its effectiveness against snakes, ergo the recommendation would be based purely upon theory given my knowledge of its ballistic performance/patterning.
    kschilk likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    34637 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    I was actually considering recommending Federal Premium .410 Hangun #4 Buck due to the spread, larger pellets, and effectiveness against potentially larger threats, but held off because I couldn't personally attest to its effectiveness against snakes, ergo the recommendation would be based purely upon theory given my knowledge of its ballistic performance/patterning.
    I've shot two with it, both brown water snakes about 3 feet long......originally. It holds a pretty tight pattern out of my Mag, way better than #9 shot.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    32992 times
    This is funny, some folks say go with #9 or so, and some say buckshot. Quite a range. My personal research continues.

Silverstring, what do you do to slick up the action? And do you feel ballistol will help more than other oils (here we go...)?
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    11220 times
    Name:  Judge.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  96.9 KB

I have lost count of the snakes I have shot with this one. But they were mostly Copperheads. Personally, I think the more shot on target the better. It only takes a couple of #9 shot to the head to do one in. I also like the fine birdshot does not destroy everything around it. It came in handy as I had to shoot a Copperhead who has slithered in the garage. That birdshot did not destroy the floor or anything around it, but it would have been another story if I had been shooting buck shot. Now if you are out with your dog, or even the wife, and they are close to that snake, well, picking out a few bird shot is a heck of a lot easier than dealing with a buck shot wound.

I've had neighbors who have asked about buying my Judge after seeing me shoot a snake with it, but I just send them to the LGS. It is too hard to find another one with a 4" barrel.

Speaking of a long barrel Judge, my BIL has a trap range down outside Pensacola and he was telling me they have a guy who comes out with a 6 1/2" barreled Judge and shoots trap. My BIL said the guy shoots it well and it just wows the whole crowd when he shoots.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links